PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

reese
09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
ETA: Here's an example of a skater who, IMO, underwent a style transformation that allowed her presentation to soar to new heights.

Here's Jenny Kirk in 2002 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yzje6hYp-k

Shortly after leaving the Scotvolds, Jenny joined Richard Callaghan's team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_NJ-R_OJik&feature=related

In her 2010 blog, Jenny stressed just how important it was to RC that she get her hair and makeup done before competition at a professional salon, even if she was competing in a foreign country and didn't speak the language. IMO, that was the first time she looked and skated like a senior lady, and not a junior lady.

Well, for what it's worth, I thought the Jenny Kirk hair and makeup in the Richard Callaghan years was pretty awful. The updos were crazy intricate and it always looked like she was going to senior prom and had spent all afternoon in the salon. A simple bun or ponytail (like the ones she wore in exhibitions) were much nicer, IMO. Sometimes less is more.

Triple Butz
09-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Well, for what it's worth, I thought the Jenny Kirk hair and makeup in the Richard Callaghan years was pretty awful. The updos were crazy intricate and it always looked like she was going to senior prom and had spent all afternoon in the salon. A simple bun or ponytail (like the ones she wore in exhibitions) were much nicer, IMO. Sometimes less is more.

Well, when you're going to the grand ball in Die Fledermaus, I definitely don't think less is more! I think she looks radiant and far more confident when "done-up" than she ever did with a simpler look.

ETA: other skaters that come to mind are Angela Nikodinov (2000/01) and Sarah Hughes (SLC)

Sasha'sSpins
09-08-2011, 01:27 AM
i think it looks like she is wishing us out into the cornfield

I think so too!! :scream:

AxelAnnie
09-08-2011, 02:39 AM
Let's face it: this is an aesthetic sport. Figure skating is a descendent of ballet, which is about art and beauty and performance. If you're trying to convey a message or a story, you want it to appear genuine and authentic.

The only thing I think could factor in marks would be in the "Interp" value, and even that is shady. Nothing else. Costuming has nothing to do with choreography, skating skills or anything else in the PCS. Still, I could see how a makeover could make a skater feel more empowered and confident.

:shuffle::shuffle::shuffle:Michelle Kwan - Solome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmUW8wPB0s) Probably the best example of transforming.......hair, makeup, costume. Of course Michelle backed it up with skating, but just saying............had she been flying around with her pony tail flippin' it would not have had the same effect.

AndyWarhol
09-08-2011, 03:14 PM
I LOVED Jenny's updos. What a babe.

brightphoton
09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
She does do that alot.

http://www.maoasadafanwebsite.com/SkateCanada2008.html

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/oyoib4d0Dxb/ISU+Four+Continents+Figure+Skating+Championship/kgkZlfDWUdO/Caroline+Zhang

:scream:

i think it looks like she is wishing us out into the cornfield

:slinkaway I never wanted to mention it, because I love Caroline and I didn't want to make fun of her for trying to look pretty in photos ... but I think the trick for making your face thinner only works if you tilt your head down ever so *slightly*. Otherwise it looks weird.

kwanatic
09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I agree about Angela Nikodinov. For a while she just floated in the middle; her skating was gorgeous but she was so plain, boring and forgettable that people, well...forgot her. Around 2000 IIRC, she made some style changes. Different hair, lovely dresses, music and choreography that suited her style...and BOOM! there ya go--people couldn't help but take notice.

That's what Rachael needs, and it's not like they are difficult changes to make. I really think fixing her appearance on ice, finding a style that works for her (and doesn't make people cringe or want to puke:yikes:), as well as getting her consistency back is the key to her finally making it to the top of another podium.

victoriaheidi
09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I agree about Angela Nikodinov. For a while she just floated in the middle; her skating was gorgeous but she was so plain, boring and forgettable that people, well...forgot her. Around 2000 IIRC, she made some style changes. Different hair, lovely dresses, music and choreography that suited her style...and BOOM! there ya go--people couldn't help but take notice.

That's what Rachael needs, and it's not like they are difficult changes to make. I really think fixing her appearance on ice, finding a style that works for her (and doesn't make people cringe or want to puke:yikes:), as well as getting her consistency back is the key to her finally making it to the top of another podium.

I can only hope that the new team is on top of this. I'm so glad she finally switched coaches-I'd be saying this regardless of whom she left-because 10 years is almost too long to have *one* coach and his assistants giving their *one* opinion.

PDilemma
09-08-2011, 05:09 PM
:slinkaway I never wanted to mention it, because I love Caroline and I didn't want to make fun of her for trying to look pretty in photos ... but I think the trick for making your face thinner only works if you tilt your head down ever so *slightly*. Otherwise it looks weird.

It reeks of having spent time with an image consultant. A friend of mine hired one when she was doing public appearances to promote her book. She was taught how to pose for photos. So now she has the same head tilt (different from CZ's) and smile in every photograph. She looks kind of ridiculous in my wedding photos. Especially because she was overly aware of the photographer and was doing her pose in many a candid shot when no one else was paying attention to the camera. She looks like that in every shot on her personal Facebook page, too. Makes me wonder what Caroline's private Facebook photos look like. :lol:

Salome
09-08-2011, 07:14 PM
That's what Rachael needs, and it's not like they are difficult changes to make. I really think fixing her appearance on ice, finding a style that works for her (and doesn't make people cringe or want to puke:yikes:) Every year people complain Rachel needs a makeover, and every year Rachel has one pretty much along the lines of what people suggest. She needed to change her hair color, so she did. People still complained. She needed to change the cut and color of her outfits to be more figure flattering, so she did. People still complained. She needed to ditch the bun and go with a freer hair style, so she did. People still complained.

At this point I think Rachel looks just fine and should concentrate on her skating. Hopefully she'll do better with a new coach.

AJ Skatefan
09-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Every year people complain Rachel needs a makeover, and every year Rachel has one pretty much along the lines of what people suggest. She needed to change her hair color, so she did. People still complained. She needed to change the cut and color of her outfits to be more figure flattering, so she did. People still complained. She needed to ditch the bun and go with a freer hair style, so she did. People still complained.

At this point I think Rachel looks just fine and should concentrate on her skating. Hopefully she'll do better with a new coach.

Yes. I happen to like her short hairdo. I think she looks fine.

AxelAnnie
09-09-2011, 12:55 AM
I watched my recording of last year's US Nats. I think that Rachel has a body style and coloring that the camera simply does not flatter. There are things she can do.....but basically.............it is what it is. Mirai......her smile lights up the arena. Christina Gao.........gorgeous out there. Yu-Na...same. Rachael......the camera just doesn't give her a break.

victoriaheidi
09-09-2011, 04:32 AM
I watched my recording of last year's US Nats. I think that Rachel has a body style and coloring that the camera simply does not flatter. There are things she can do.....but basically.............it is what it is. Mirai......her smile lights up the arena. Christina Gao.........gorgeous out there. Yu-Na...same. Rachael......the camera just doesn't give her a break.

The one I really think has this issue is Vanessa Lam. It's a bummer, but I totally saw it last year at Skater's Care. She looked like a completely different person on screen.

Sasha'sSpins
09-09-2011, 05:00 AM

It is true that not everyone can be photogenic (certainly I'm not) but it's not just her features. Rachael too often wears the wrong style skating dresses, wrong hair style that don't flatter her round face, colors that don't flatter her complexion (and I happen to think she has a very pretty complexion) etc. For example I think she looks GREAT in that black exhibition number she wore (can't find the link now) dramatically so. Little things like that could go a long way towards enhancing what she was given to work with. Of course that's just aesthetics but certain improvements in her basic skating would help too. Hopefully her new coaches will help her in that aspect as well.

DickButtonFan
09-09-2011, 05:39 AM

I think Rachael looks stunning.