PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

olifaunt
08-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Have financial aid rules changed? Just curious as back when I was in college, if you received federal or institution based aid, you had to take a full load to keep it. (I know that would likely not be an issue for Rachael).

I am pretty sure 12 hours is considered to be a full load all over the country.

edit: oh whoops, I guess there's some semantic confusion about a full load/maximum load? Sorry.

PDilemma
08-22-2011, 05:57 PM
I am pretty sure 12 hours is considered to be a full load all over the country.

The poster I was responding to said most of her friends were encouraged to take less than full loads as first term freshmen. That's why I was asking.

Cheylana
08-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Remember that Rachael is on the quarter (not semester) system. My alma mater was/is on the quarter system, so we typically only took three classes per quarter. So if Rachael is taking "only" three courses, that sounds entirely normal.

PDilemma
08-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Remember that Rachael is on the quarter (not semester) system. My college was/is on the quarter system, so we typically only took three classes per quarter. So if Rachael is taking "only" three courses, that sounds entirely normal.

My question was for VictoriaHeidi and did not involve the quarter system or Rachael.

Never mind.....:rolleyes:

Cheylana
08-22-2011, 06:09 PM
^ My post wasn't directed at you; it was directed at the people upthread who said Rachael was taking a light load.

Triple Butz
08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Another article: (http://www.teamusa.org/news/2011/08/19/new-coaches-new-school-in-rachael-flatt-s-next-chapter/44252)

I'm very optimistic about this. Her coaches seem to really want to focus on her artistry. She says also she's taking 10-12 credit hours, which I believe is 3 classes, or 2 classes and a lab, so juggling school/skating might not be as stressful as it could be.

I agree. It's nice to see her talk about her packaging for a change instead of going on and on about more difficult jumps that may or may not appear in competition. I have high hopes for her new team, and high hopes that I'll be able to enjoy her skating a little bit more this season.

UMBS Go Blue
08-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Remember that Rachael is on the quarter (not semester) system. My alma mater was/is on the quarter system, so we typically only took three classes per quarter. So if Rachael is taking "only" three courses, that sounds entirely normal.EYS. 3 courses don't sound like much, but if they're 10 week quarters, academic work piles up very fast on top of all one's other obligations (social life, extracurriculars/sports). Time management is key. Best of luck to Rachael.

victoriaheidi
08-22-2011, 07:52 PM
My question was for VictoriaHeidi and did not involve the quarter system or Rachael.

Never mind.....:rolleyes:

Hi! Sorry, I've been in school...

Anyway, I don't know the full load/federal aid situation works. Perhaps some schools set a "full load" for freshman as a lower number of units than for older students? I'm not sure why my friends have gotten that advice.

jeffisjeff
08-22-2011, 08:12 PM
What is considered a "full load" varies quite a bit across universities and at most universities, there isn't just a single number that represents a "full load." A typical example of university policy on academic load would be something like: "The usual load for an undergraduate is between 15-18 hours per semester. A student whose plan contains less than 12 hours or exceeds 20 hours must obtain permission..." And financial aid would usually be OK as long as the minimum cited (12 hours in this example) is maintained. And, FWIW, at my university, 12 hours is either 3 or 4 courses (most courses here are either 3 or 4 hours). Most people might not consider 3 courses to be full time on the semester system, but that could qualify as a "full load" at my university, depending on the specific courses selected.

whoa
08-22-2011, 10:48 PM
As a quarter system student right now, I think it's going to take some iCal mastery to handle the basic components: 3 classes + lab + studying + socializing + figuring out the meaning of life + legit skating training. You get one nice week of what you think college is going to be like and from week 2 until week 10, it's just midterms I, papers, midterms II, and finals! I barely have enough time to go to the gym everyday; cannot imagine adding figure skating training on top of that..
Though perhaps things are going to be different in CA than where my school is (in the New England area). I'm interested to see how everything turns out!

PDilemma
08-22-2011, 10:52 PM
As a quarter system student right now, I think it's going to take some iCal mastery to handle the basic components: 3 classes + lab + studying + socializing + figuring out the meaning of life + legit skating training. You get one nice week of what you think college is going to be like and from week 2 until week 10, it's just midterms I, papers, midterms II, and finals! I barely have enough time to go to the gym everyday; cannot imagine adding figure skating training on top of that..
Though perhaps things are going to be different in CA than where my school is (in the New England area). I'm interested to see how everything turns out!

I just did six hours in a grad school summer term that was seven weeks long--it was never ending reading and writing without a moment to stop, breath or absorb anything. I really think the quarter system would be a similar experience year round. I'm not sure I would like it much!

victoriaheidi
08-23-2011, 12:47 AM

I am, too. I doubt it's particularly different from, say, UCLA, which is exactly what you described in your post (I'm not a UCLA student; up until recently, my cousin was).

Mayra
08-23-2011, 03:49 AM
What Axel Annie said.

Firebird is very nuanced and requires a lot of attack. I can't imagine Flat doing it justice, it'll probably be very painful to watch.

Everyone said the same about East of Eden and it was arguably her best sp to date. People underestimate Rachael and I think part of the problem is that she has been wrongly packaged from Day 1. I can't wait to see what she looks like without Tom Z helping to package her. Already I'm impressed with the more aggressive music choice. JMO

:cheer2:

Jenna
08-23-2011, 06:12 AM
^ That's true. EoE is her best program to date. Hands down. I reserve judgment until after I see a program.

Triple Butz
08-23-2011, 06:38 PM
^ That's true. EoE is her best program to date. Hands down. I reserve judgment until after I see a program.

Not everyone feels that way...