PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26]

Screenie
10-09-2011, 04:35 AM
The only things I wish for Rachael this year are a 4.0, and better skating skills. I don't care if she gains weight, just MOVE on the ice, find yourself artistically and own the ice. Too many times I've watched her and it is Rachael and her triples versus the ice. I've learned through my Patrick Chan fandom that a skater can fall all the time yet remain compelling. I haven't really noticed 'trolls' calling her fat or whatever, but I wish she would improve her skating so that it doesn't matter. And hopefully these new coaches will do that with her. I'd rather see a Rachael with 5 triples and excellent skating skills than what we've seen from her. Good skating is the goal. Kwan in her later years never added on a 3toe, which I thought was strange, giving her only 6 triples, but her skating was wonderful to watch. Eventually you become your vision on the ice, I'm just not sure Rachael has that vision.

I just adore Rachel's skating, including her skating skills, and if people don't think she owns the ice, especially with short programs like her East of Eden, then I basically don't know what they're watching / don't share any common ground with them vis-a-vis Rachel's skating. To me she is just awesome, and while I guess almost everything in life is subjective, I think saying she doesn't own the ice or that she doesn't have good skating skills is somewhat like saying the crown jewels aren't that nice.

IceAlisa
10-10-2011, 02:18 AM
if you don't like her don't watch her...nuff said! If you don't like it, don't visit the thread" is the weakest argument I've ever heard. It's nice you and your friends have your own inside jokes, but AFAIK this is an open discussion board. There are lots of reasons to visit threads on Rachael and if we come across snotty, poorly reasoned posts, we just may comment.

Why don't you present what you perceive as superior reasoning on the matter instead of name calling? How's that for weak argument.

As to watching Rachael, I admit I have watched just one program of hers to the very end. I liked her at 12 or so and thought she was lovely then and am still puzzled as to what happened to her lyricism on the ice.

But I do visit most top US ladies threads wanting to know how the next season is shaping up.

Carolla5501
10-10-2011, 03:21 AM
if you don't like her don't watch her...nuff said! If you don't like it, don't visit the thread" is the weakest argument I've ever heard. It's nice you and your friends have your own inside jokes, but AFAIK this is an open discussion board. There are lots of reasons to visit threads on Rachael and if we come across snotty, poorly reasoned posts, we just may comment.

You are the weakest link good bye! Your my first ever block!

Not my first, but just added. Read the signature line, see the location..... Quit feeding the "troll". (other words came to mind, but....)

IceAlisa
10-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Here's a new concept for those utterly befuddled by location and signature: sarcasm. Also, instead of looking at those, look at the rep. Is that one of a troll?

There are other indications. I'd joined FSU in 2002 and am approaching 20,000 posts. I doubt the admins would have tolerated trolling for that long. Unless your definition of a troll includes anyone who says something non-flattering about Rachael?

Can it be? Does Rachael have her very own ubers? :eek:

Quintuple
10-10-2011, 06:44 AM
I haven't hung out with enough elite athletes (and don't trust photos or TV for comparison) to know when an athlete is "out of shape", meaning, closer to an average fit person. I don't tend to think too much about other people's body shape and if I do or don't like it. But a few thoughts:

- You how a lot of endurance sports athletes don't look super cut? Take a male tennis player - lots of times they look like average thin guys with their shirts off - sometimes even with a little bit of flab. It's because bodies WANT to put on fat to insulate and protect a person from starving, and the more you go crazy with your endurance sport, the more your body compensates. When gymnasts and figure skaters quit the sport and don't train at an intense level 4+ hours a day, they're bound to lose their tone, just because the body is (somewhat) "normalizing" with intake and energy expansion.

- Last year, I was at a college women's gymnastics meet. I was actually surprised at how much like elite gymnasts some of the girls looked because I was used to college gymnasts on TV being a bit curvier/heftier. There was this one gymnast who I thought, "Whoa, she doesn't even look like one of those college-gymnast-memories-from-TV." She was almost apple-shaped, with really scrawny legs, and a paunch.

SHE WHOOPED EVERYONE'S ASSES. She was incredible. Her difficulty was far beyond all her teammates and competitors (she has an elite level of difficulty in many cases). A friend who came with me fell in love with her. She was crazy good.

- I haven't been skating in over a year, but I finally got off work earlier and went to the rink on Friday. Whoa! Rachael Flatt was pacing around getting ready to skate! I was very surprised (I don't live near Palo Alto/Redwood City/San Jose). She looked completely fit. Then I saw this thread. Boo.

olifaunt
10-10-2011, 07:03 AM
- I haven't been skating in over a year, but I finally got off work earlier and went to the rink on Friday. Whoa! Rachael Flatt was pacing around getting ready to skate! I was very surprised (I don't live near Palo Alto/Redwood City/San Jose). She looked completely fit. Then I saw this thread. Boo.

Asking this is probably a little intrusive, but did you see her running through either of her programs? I'm really excited to see how she'll change this season.

paskatefan
10-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow, just waded into this thread. :yikes:

I appreciate the fact that she manages to be both a student of the highest caliber and a skater at the highest level. :cheer2:

I wish Rachel all the best in both her skating and college studies. :)

IceAlisa
10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Please report if you saw her skate. :sekret: