PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

olifaunt
10-05-2011, 05:51 AM
I think that's the thing: she has to have some level of independence on music selection and not be so bound to "what the judges want." I don't know who wants that (Rachael, Tom?, Lori Nichol, anyone in or formerly in the Flatt camp), but it's not suiting her.

Judging by her opinion on the haircut, I'd bet the strict adherence to "what the judges want" is not 100% what she wants.

I suppose it is too early to speculate, but does anyone know where Rachael will train next summer? Will she stay in the Bay area or train near her parents' place in Del Mar?

Triple Butz
10-05-2011, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ooe28GEQBo

LOL, she repeated the EOE footwork...Note to Rachael: it doesn't go with that music, either. ;)

victoriaheidi
10-05-2011, 07:32 AM
LOL, she repeated the EOE footwork...Note to Rachael: it doesn't go with that music, either. ;)

She said that she choreographed by just keeping her SP footwork and redoing the rest.

Wait, does this mean that the EOE and original SP steps were the same?

shawnie21
10-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I never liked that version of it, there seems something a bit off about it. I always preferred the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpEdfp4uXM

Yazmeen
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Rachel is not my favorite skater by far, but I have a bit of an affinity (and sympathy) for her because I'm a similar body type: broad shoulders, short neck, short waist, thick thighs and a butt. I just have the boobs to go with it all... :lol: I'm not overweight by any means, but I can look like a total pudgeball in photos, even when I was thinner because I'm built so compactly. I've had to learn how to buy dresses and outfits for occasions where I'll be photographed that lengthen me, and I stay away from skating dresses with very short skirts. Slightly longer in the front and a bit longer yet in the back is the most flattering, as is a halter neckline.

I realize she has skating issues, but it breaks my heart a bit to hear people call her fat and criticize her body, because like mine, it's genetics. I'll always be a Tonya, not a Nancy body-wise, and there is very little I can do about it aside from trying to stay in shape.

Sylvia
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
espnW article (Oct. 5, 2011): Stanford or skating? Rachael Flatt chooses both (http://espn.go.com/espnw/espnw/7059151/stanford-skating-rachael-flatt-chooses-both)

This is the first installment in a semimonthly series following the life of 2010 U.S. champion and 2010 Vancouver Olympian Rachael Flatt, focusing on her adjustment to college and the pursuit of her skating career.
Flatt is training with Justin Dillon and Lynn Smith. She is also spending some training time with former Olympic bronze medalist Charlie Tickner. Dillon is the "overseer of the operation," Flatt said.

Flatt is rooming with another athlete, freshman basketball player Jasmine Camp.

They've barely spent any time in their room together.

Flatt got an exemption from Stanford that allows her to keep her car on campus so that she can get up at 5 on most mornings, before anyone else in her dorm, and hit the road for San Jose or Oakland or Redwood City for training.

She's trying to keep her dorm room refrigerator stocked with fruits and vegetables to help her avoid the temptation of eating too much cafeteria food.

She will leave at the end of the month to compete in a Skate Canada event near Toronto.

In the meantime, she's a college student with three classes: computational mathematics, writing and rhetoric, and humanities. She has joined her friends to cheer on dorm mates who play on the men's and women's soccer teams.

She is among her people on the Stanford campus, where elite athletes preparing to compete at the highest levels of their sport are commonplace.

"That's one of the reasons I chose Stanford," Flatt said. "This is the kind of environment that I need. Other athletes who are majoring in engineering have told me that I can do this, that you just have to have great time management."

IceAlisa
10-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Well, her academic workload doesn't sound too bad, no labs. While incredibly hard, this sounds actually doable. Computational mathematics :scream:

olifaunt
10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I find all the positive attention she's getting from USFSA very interesting. Their twitter has been nonstop Rachael for the past few days. You'd think they'd completely dump her media-wise after the Worlds debacle.

And a series about her for ESPN? Good for her. :)

victoriaheidi
10-05-2011, 11:46 PM
I find all the positive attention she's getting from USFSA very interesting. Their twitter has been nonstop Rachael for the past few days. You'd think they'd completely dump her media-wise after the Worlds debacle.

And a series about her for ESPN? Good for her. :)

Personally, I think the one to dump is Tom, not Rachael.

leafygreens
10-06-2011, 12:20 AM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Folks, it is pointless to argue with people like leafygreens, i.e., hateful trolls who have dedicated their lives to calling Rachael Flatt fat and ugly in as many threads as possible. You are not going to change the mind of a troll. You are just tormenting the non-trolls by quoting their hateful crap and forcing people who have the trolls on Ignore to see it.

:soapbox:

Thanks for reading.

FYI - just because you don't like someone's opinion doesn't make them a troll. Let me explain the difference, since you don't know: A troll does a drive-by to intentionally cause trouble. Conversely, I always have a tempered, rational debate. Huge difference. But I see how sad it can make you when someone doesn't like your favorite. :rofl: Rachael will never be my favorite, and I will never stop commenting on her if she does something annoying. Get over it! I actually HOPE Rachael's coaches help her this season but I'm not holding my breath.

olifaunt
10-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Personally, I think the one to dump is Tom, not Rachael.

Ugh, agreed. I can't believe that no one took him aside and told him off after poor Joshua Farris' Nationals freeskate. Or, if someone did, I can't believe he ignored it.

Sasha'sSpins
10-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Rachel is not my favorite skater by far, but I have a bit of an affinity (and sympathy) for her because I'm a similar body type: broad shoulders, short neck, short waist, thick thighs and a butt. I just have the boobs to go with it all... :lol: I'm not overweight by any means, but I can look like a total pudgeball in photos, even when I was thinner because I'm built so compactly. I've had to learn how to buy dresses and outfits for occasions where I'll be photographed that lengthen me, and I stay away from skating dresses with very short skirts. Slightly longer in the front and a bit longer yet in the back is the most flattering, as is a halter neckline.

I realize she has skating issues, but it breaks my heart a bit to hear people call her fat and criticize her body, because like mine, it's genetics. I'll always be a Tonya, not a Nancy body-wise, and there is very little I can do about it aside from trying to stay in shape.

Rachael is not fat by any stretch. But she isn't a Tonya or a Joannie either. Those women were/are rather muscular looking (in a nice way) when in top shape. Meaning quite toned. Rachael, perhaps due to genetics almost has a 'soft' untoned look to her. I'm not sure that she could do anymore to change this, I'm no exercise expert but that's the impression I get.

IceAlisa
10-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Joannie, in person is very muscular and seems to have very little fat. She is super lean.

AxelAnnie
10-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Joannie is muscular. Rachael is smooshy looking.

nylynnr
10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Rachael is smooshy looking.

Rachael is a good-looking young lady with a cute figure. With the criticisms heaped upon her here, I shudder to imagine what posters would write of us who are truly appearance challenged!