PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26

IceAlisa
10-04-2011, 01:10 AM
You prefer skaters doing crossovers for 4 minutes and not even pretending to respond to the music in any way?

I definitely don't.

Oh I absolutely do. If you ask me what I would choose, watching Katia Gordeeva do crossovers vs. Rachael doing her :yikes: moves, the answer is clear to me. And I bet I am not alone.

Katia's movement across the ice is a thing of beauty that especially shines when seen live.

Angela-Fan
10-04-2011, 01:41 AM
never mind

MR-FAN
10-04-2011, 01:46 AM
To me I think my lack of joy watching Rachael skate has little to do with poor positions/lines or less-than-spectacular spins or non-dynamic jumps. Someone can be all that and I can still enjoy their skating and performances. My issue is speed. Speed speed speed speed speed. If she skated fast and performed fast footwork, I'd be a fan and would look forward to her performances. But slow skating and footwork is probably my biggest pet peeve.
Caroline Zhang has great lines, spectacular spins and beautiful spirals, and I get as board with her performances as I do Rachael's. I actually enjoyed Rachael's footwork during the new SP last season, not because it was original or that it went with the music (it wasn't and it didn't), but because she did it freely, was uninhibited and fast

victoriaheidi
10-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Right, this pic is from April... The pics from the ball game were last month. Huge difference, and that's how it seems to be going with RF - a slow downward spiral. At first I was more than willing to blame her shocking appearance on the hair, and her bombs all season on the "injury," but no longer. I agree with Louise that you can't blame all of RF's problems on a bulging disc. In fact, I have never really understood the "bulging disc rebuttal," because she actually has a rather nice layback. It is more stretched than many skaters have, even if it's not the trendy-bendy position, it's really solid. Her many problems are completely separate from the layback - which are slouchiness, flailing, frumpiness and now, weight gain. To get back OT about her coaches, I don't know if her coaches are going to be able to help her, judging by the latest photos. Her form physically and skating-wise will never be what it was. Remember when Emily Hughes went to college? After last year's slap-in-the-face fine, it's obvious that USFS is done with her too (i.e., no more propping up and no spot at Skate America) which is what should have happened all along. Can anyone honestly say that RF will be skating like she was in 09-10 with the stress injury and body she has now? Many skaters can't even handle a much smaller "growth spurt." I will be glad to eat my words if she shows up competing this season with the form, consistency and placements she had two years ago.

I still don't think Rachael Flatt is fat. I don't exactly get where that criticism comes from.

I seriously can't wait until Rachael is a superstar doctor/engineer/whatever (because no one can deny that she will be amongst the top professionals in whatever non-skating field she chooses).

Also, to be clear, when people call Rachael "fat," are they saying "larger than the average skater" or "fat"?

pinky166
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
I still don't think Rachael Flatt is fat. I don't exactly get where that criticism comes from.

I seriously can't wait until Rachael is a superstar doctor/engineer/whatever (because no one can deny that she will be amongst the top professionals in whatever non-skating field she chooses).

Also, to be clear, when people call Rachael "fat," are they saying "larger than the average skater" or "fat"?

This. And honestly people, she's an olympic athlete, for her to be actually fat and an olympic athlete at the same time would be an oxymoron....it just wouldn't happen. Or okay, maybe if her sport was golf or like curling. But it's not. She's not a waif and she may have gained some weight in the past season, but I'm not even sure of that. To me she looks about the same now as she did when she went to the Olympics. What I am nearly positively certain of is that, right now, her BMI is nowhere near the unhealthy range, so anyone calling her fat has some serious perception issues. Most top skaters today are underweight, that is the reality. Mao and Alissa last season worried me as they both appeared too thin, Rachael on the other hand is fine. People look different in person than on tv. A lot of people consider Miki Ando to be a "womanly" or "curvier" skater, I met her in person a few years ago and was shocked at how slender she was (and I think she's even lost weight since), to me she was edging on being too thin. So I can only imagine what some of these other girls must look like in person :shuffle:

Cheylana
10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Folks, it is pointless to argue with people like leafygreens, i.e., hateful trolls who have dedicated their lives to calling Rachael Flatt fat and ugly in as many threads as possible. You are not going to change the mind of a troll. You are just tormenting the non-trolls by quoting their hateful crap and forcing people who have the trolls on Ignore to see it.

:soapbox:

Thanks for reading.

victoriaheidi
10-04-2011, 05:31 PM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Folks, it is pointless to argue with people like leafygreens, i.e., hateful trolls who have dedicated their lives to calling Rachael Flatt fat and ugly in as many threads as possible. You are not going to change the mind of a troll. You are just tormenting the non-trolls by quoting their hateful crap and forcing people who have the trolls on Ignore to see it.

:soapbox:

Thanks for reading.

I need to pay more attention to the usernames of posters before I post.

DimaToe
10-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Here's to Rachael working well with her new coaches, I hope that she becomes a better skater and has a season that she can be happy with, regardless of results :)

edonice
10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I think you totally missed the point the poster was trying to make, but I'm not shocked.:shuffle: In fact, you kinda proved it when you started making specific suggestions. The common theme seems to be 'Change This!' and 'Change That!' Well, there are a million ways to do that and everybody has their own opinion on which way is best. It wouldn't shock me if the real problem with Rachael's look is that she tries to listen to too many people. I often wonder if she actually even likes some of the things she's changed. I remember her saying about the haircut that she doesn't like short hair.

I'm with you on this. The biggest problem that I've had with Rachael's skating in recent years is that I'm having trouble figuring out who Rachael is. She changes her costumes because the judges don't like them. She changes her hair, her music, the layout of her program, her choreography. And when she gives reasons for it, it's always, 'well, the judges said....'

In a few of her show programs, like at Improv-Ice last year, she's shown that she has an actual personality of her own, and an interesting one, at that. I really hope her new coaches can tease that out of her, and give her ownership of her skating. For once, I'd like her to show up with music SHE likes, in a dress SHE loves, doing choreography SHE helped create. And in hair SHE actually wants to have.

She's growing up, and should be her own person on and off the ice. I suspect that when she does that, her critics won't have so many petty suggestions.

olifaunt
10-05-2011, 02:24 AM
I would really like her to do more programs along the lines of the I Want To Hold Your Hand exhibition - introspective and quiet, but with a passionate undercurrent that stops it being tinkly or pretty pretty princess. The music wasn't so fast that it looked like she either couldn't keep up or was running to keep up, and it swelled in just the right places. And it looks like she genuinely likes skating that program. Does anyone know who choreographed it?

IceAlisa
10-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Could you please post a link to this program? Thanks.

shawnie21
10-05-2011, 03:04 AM
I would really like her to do more programs along the lines of the I Want To Hold Your Hand exhibition - introspective and quiet, but with a passionate undercurrent that stops it being tinkly or pretty pretty princess. The music wasn't so fast that it looked like she either couldn't keep up or was running to keep up, and it swelled in just the right places. And it looks like she genuinely likes skating that program. Does anyone know who choreographed it?

She did it herself, I believe.

Jot the Dot Dot
10-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Could you please post a link to this program? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ooe28GEQBo

IceAlisa
10-05-2011, 03:54 AM
Thanks! I may have seen it before. IMO it's one of Rachael's better programs.

victoriaheidi
10-05-2011, 04:54 AM
She did it herself, I believe.

I believe she did both of her 10/11 exhibitions herself ("Your Song," her other exhibition, is not available on YouTube).

I think that's the thing: she has to have some level of independence on music selection and not be so bound to "what the judges want." I don't know who wants that (Rachael, Tom?, Lori Nichol, anyone in or formerly in the Flatt camp), but it's not suiting her.