PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26

Louise
10-03-2011, 05:30 AM
Maybe it is about the new coaches. We'll soon find out, if she doesn't just drop out of Skate Am, which my :sekret: tells me is just about fact at this point. I am surprised she hasn't pulled out yet, however given her Worlds debacle maybe she's trying to save face or really throw it in USFS face. Who knows at this point. She will not be competing next month. She's too out of shape.

The problem is, god does it bear need repeating... Someone posted a flattering picture of Rachael with long hair and a black dress, what TWO years ago? THREE? Her body looks nothing like that picture, lord knows the hair hasn't in a couple years either.

She can't help the discs in her back, got it. So she's out a nice layback. Harding never had the best 'lay' in her layback either but she spun like a tornado. I really think people would give Rachael a break if she was 'all that' except for the bad body and imperfect positions. But she isn't. Her spins aren't that fast nor centered, jumps are now barely around with little height (Lipinski had as much height on her jumps as Rachael) Rachael is now SarahHughes2003 (or 2005 if you want to be mean). It's now like being a fan of Sarah Hughes after 2003. She'll never make a comeback, she's probably the most brilliant and nicest person EVAH in the history of the world, but world-class skating is out. FINIS.

Vagabond
10-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Maybe it is about the new coaches. We'll soon find out, if she doesn't just drop out of Skate Am, which my :sekret: tells me is just about fact at this point.

You need to get a new :sekret:. The U.S. entries for the Ladies' competition at Skate America are Alissa Czisny, Joelle Forte, and Caroline Zhang.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007527.htm

ETA: I posted before that she wasn't doing the GP, but I will explain more in a following post. Please see Post # 307.

IceAlisa
10-03-2011, 06:19 AM
I didn't realize she wasn't skating at GP.

olifaunt
10-03-2011, 06:35 AM
She's still listed for Skate Canada and Cup of Russia. She was never assigned to Skate America this season, though I suppose not being listed makes it easier for her to withdraw from that event.

Sasha'sSpins
10-03-2011, 06:59 AM
You need to get a new :sekret:. Rachael Flatt isn't skating on the Grand Prix this year. The U.S. entries for the Ladies' competition at Skate America are Alissa Czisny, Joelle Forte, and Caroline Zhang.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007527.htm

Wow this bums me out if it's true. :( Where did you hear Rachael isn't skating any GPs this year?. I was never really a fan but I was looking forward to seeing what, if any changes (as it's still very early yet) Rachael's new coaches might have come up with.

victoriaheidi
10-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Wow this bums me out if it's true. :( Where did you hear Rachael isn't skating any GPs this year?. I was never really a fan but I was looking forward to seeing what, if any changes (as it's still very early yet) Rachael's new coaches might have come up with.

Aside from the "never really a fan" part, I completely agree. I can see why she'd drop out (I recently realized that college is a lot tougher than everyone wanted me to think, and I'm a communication major), but I'd definitely be disappointed to not get to see the "new Rachael" I was hoping to see on the GP.

Vagabond
10-03-2011, 07:12 AM
My apologies.

I do remember reading here on FSU before the Grand Prix entries were released that she was going to skip the Grand Prix and concentrate on her studies.

Apparently, either my recollection is faulty or she changed her mind. (And I'm betting my recollection is faulty. :o )

I haven't been keeping close track of Grand Prix assignments this season except for Skate America.

At any rate, she certainly was never assigned to this season's Skate America.

Again, I am sorry for my mistake.

Sasha'sSpins
10-03-2011, 07:21 AM
My apologies.

I do remember reading here on FSU before the Grand Prix entries were released that she was going to skip the Grand Prix and concentrate on her studies.

Apparently, either my recollection is faulty or she changed her mind. (And I'm betting my recollection is faulty. :o )

I haven't been keeping close track of Grand Prix assignments this season except for Skate America.

No worries, thanks for clarifying! I hope this means we may still see Rachael at Skate Canada!

Louise
10-03-2011, 02:23 PM
You need to get a new :sekret:. The U.S. entries for the Ladies' competition at Skate America are Alissa Czisny, Joelle Forte, and Caroline Zhang.

I meant Skate Canada. I didn't look but I believe she was supposed to have skated with Nagasu and Czisny there.

mag
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
I meant Skate Canada. I didn't look but I believe she was supposed to have skated with Nagasu and Czisny there.

Just to clarify, the ladies entries for Skate Canada, as listed on the SC website are here: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007531.htm

The American entries are Nagasu, Flatt, and Wagner.

victoriaheidi
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
My apologies.

Yeah, I remember that there was a lot of speculation about whether or not Rachael would skate on the GP. She is still assigned to SC and CoC, so I think it's safe to continue to believe that she will skate at those (as of this moment).

No worries! :) Thanks for your clarification.

shawnie21
10-03-2011, 06:44 PM
The problem is, god does it bear need repeating... Someone posted a flattering picture of Rachael with long hair and a black dress, what TWO years ago? THREE? Her body looks nothing like that picture, lord knows the hair hasn't in a couple years either.

Just a question, wasn't that picture from the same EX program she did in the Olympic year? And considering that she cut her hair just before last season, wouldn't that make the picture from about a year ago? So...:shuffle: I think her body in that picture is fairly comparable to last year's worlds. I hardly think it's time for her to completely give it up.

As far as the GP, didn't she talk about it in a recent article? I seem to remember her talking about how it was lucky that CoR was during Thanksgiving break. And if she made the Worlds team, it would fall on Stanford's spring break because it was a little earlier than most other schools. In any case, I hope she skates GP.

IceAlisa
10-03-2011, 07:02 PM
She can't help the discs in her back, got it. So she's out a nice layback. Harding never had the best 'lay' in her layback either but she spun like a tornado. I really think people would give Rachael a break if she was 'all that' except for the bad body and imperfect positions. But she isn't. Her spins aren't that fast nor centered, jumps are now barely around with little height (Lipinski had as much height on her jumps as Rachael) Rachael is now SarahHughes2003 (or 2005 if you want to be mean). It's now like being a fan of Sarah Hughes after 2003. She'll never make a comeback, she's probably the most brilliant and nicest person EVAH in the history of the world, but world-class skating is out. FINIS.

That's all true. The thing about Rachael's skating that bothered me is that IMO she's been consistently held up by the US judges on the senior circuit, usually in her PCS ahead of what I considered better performances. Rachael cannot be faulted for that, of course.

But I admit, I am still smarting from Rachael's lack of judgment at last World's and what it cost the US team and the alternate. I've always admired persistence in this sport and RL but this time the persistence went too far.

I hope she applies that drive and persistence to her academic career, which I have no doubt she will. However, I think that the time of PCS handouts at Nationals has passed for her. We will see what happens in San Jose.

olympic
10-03-2011, 07:51 PM
...She can't help the discs in her back, got it. So she's out a nice layback. Harding never had the best 'lay' in her layback either but she spun like a tornado. I really think people would give Rachael a break if she was 'all that' except for the bad body and imperfect positions. But she isn't. Her spins aren't that fast nor centered, jumps are now barely around with little height (Lipinski had as much height on her jumps as Rachael) Rachael is now SarahHughes2003 (or 2005 if you want to be mean). It's now like being a fan of Sarah Hughes after 2003. She'll never make a comeback, she's probably the most brilliant and nicest person EVAH in the history of the world, but world-class skating is out. FINIS.

I'm not sure I agree. I found her 3f to be a little bigger and the 3z more secure [before Worlds] this past season. Also, I thought her spins were a little better; faster and more extended. Obviously not in Alissa or Mirai's league, but still better.

I think it was at Champs Camp where she admitted that in conferring with her new coaches, she realized that she needed help on her PCS, which I think is great for her to take a step in that direction. As I said in an earlier post, Tom Z got her passable jumps and CoP friendly programs, but seemed to neglect much else.

Also, she had said an interview around that same time that she was quite busy settling in CA, so she expected a slow start to the season [read - not 100% by SC]. However, I get the impression that she is competing.

leafygreens
10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Ditto, Jenna! This was taken in April. I saw on TV the post-Beijing Shawn Johnson, and I noticed her being stockier. If Rachael has gone stocky since then, please post pictures. I for one, remain unconvinced. http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/113290007/Getty-Images-Sport

Right, this pic is from April... The pics from the ball game were last month. Huge difference, and that's how it seems to be going with RF - a slow downward spiral. At first I was more than willing to blame her shocking appearance on the hair, and her bombs all season on the "injury," but no longer. I agree with Louise that you can't blame all of RF's problems on a bulging disc. In fact, I have never really understood the "bulging disc rebuttal," because she actually has a rather nice layback. It is more stretched than many skaters have, even if it's not the trendy-bendy position, it's really solid. Her many problems are completely separate from the layback - which are slouchiness, flailing, frumpiness and now, weight gain. To get back OT about her coaches, I don't know if her coaches are going to be able to help her, judging by the latest photos. Her form physically and skating-wise will never be what it was. Remember when Emily Hughes went to college? After last year's slap-in-the-face fine, it's obvious that USFS is done with her too (i.e., no more propping up and no spot at Skate America) which is what should have happened all along. Can anyone honestly say that RF will be skating like she was in 09-10 with the stress injury and body she has now? Many skaters can't even handle a much smaller "growth spurt." I will be glad to eat my words if she shows up competing this season with the form, consistency and placements she had two years ago.