PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26

DickButtonFan
10-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thankfully skating is a sport and not a beauty contest.... Rachaels scores would be higher if her jumps were higher, spins faster, better choreography.

IceAlisa
10-02-2011, 03:34 AM
And you say vanity is a bitch...you might want to take a look in the mirror there. :rolleyes:

I have. :saint: As to locations, it is customary to take them with a grain of salt. This is FSU, after all.

But FSU is a black and white world. Obviously, you either think she's the most gorgeous thing ever to walk the earth, or you think she's uglier than sin. Get with the program!

(Personally, I think she's an average leaning toward cute girl, not even close to ugly but not gorgeous---but that's middle ground and we can't have that)

I am with you on that: Rachael is an average looking girl, kind of cute especially when she wears the right hair, make up and clothes.

But yeah, I find it interesting that people ASSUME that because I disagree that Rachael is gorgeous, I have to think that she is ugly. How is that logical?

When Rachael is on the ice I agree with this:

Rachael's not fat or ugly, but next to skaters like Yu-Na and Alissa who have long, willowy limbs and torsos, she looks short and squat. Sorry, but that automatically makes her not as pleasing to watch on the ice as compared to some other skaters. Couple that with the blah jumps and spins and one can understand why she falls flat for so many.

I happen to like long lean lines in figure skating and in ballet. Rachael's elements just don't cut it compared to other elite ladies.

Maofan7
10-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thankfully skating is a sport and not a beauty contest.... Rachaels scores would be higher if her jumps were higher, spins faster, better choreography.

I agree her jumps could be higher, but I think her back problem has adversely impacted on her in that department.

pinky166
10-02-2011, 04:38 AM
Rachael's not fat or ugly, but next to skaters like Yu-Na and Alissa who have long, willowy limbs and torsos, she looks short and squat. Sorry, but that automatically makes her not as pleasing to watch on the ice as compared to some other skaters. Couple that with the blah jumps and spins and one can understand why she falls flat for so many.

And I absolutely do think that the prettier the skater's face is, the prettier her scores may get. I don't think it works like that at every competition and with every judge, but I'm sure that skaters like Kiira and Laura receive a boost here and there from certain judges (consciously or otherwise).

Maybe it's just me but I don't consider Alissa long-limbed. She's very thin and wiry, but her torso is quite long compared to her arms and legs. And Kiira, gorgeous as she is, has legs that are quite short for her height, you notice this when she does her I-spin as her boot only reaches her head level as opposed to far above it. In pictures at TEB, it becomes clear that neither Kiira or Alissa is long-limbed because Mirai's legs are as long if not longer despite being what looks like 3 inches shorter than Kiira and 2 inches shorter than Alissa. Yuna, you're right, she is very long-limbed. But looking at Rachael she is not short-limbed, she's just short. For her 5'2" frame her limbs are very proportionate to the rest of her body. I agree that long limbs are nice to see in skaters, and short limbs can be distracting (for example Caroline Zhang), but in the case of Alissa, Kiira, and Rachael, they are all pretty proportionate when it comes to the length of their limbs compared to their heights and rest of their bodies (Kiira's taller height may be why she appears shorter limbed). To be sure, they all have very different body types. But I guess my point is, you don't need to have long limbs to look good in a skating dress/when you skate. I mean think Sasha Cohen, she was the same height or shorter than Rachael and appears to have shorter limbs than Rachael but she was known for her great line and elegance. Just sayin.

leafygreens
10-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't look at Rachael and think "pretty or ugly" and this conversation shouldn't be about that. I just hope she is eating right at college, because it doesn't appear that she is. That is something you can control. She is starting to look like Shawn Johnson, post-Olympics, which isn't healthy for any athlete. There is no way that Rachael's body can go from 2009 to what it is now, just by a "growth spurt." The haircut only exacerbates this, like when pregnant women chop off their hair, thinking it will make them look thinner. All skaters gain weight and get taller but you don't see them looking absolutely nothing like they used to.

Vagabond
10-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't look at Rachael and think "pretty or ugly" and this conversation shouldn't be about that. I just hope she is eating right at college, because it doesn't appear that she is.

:confused:

What are you talking about? She just moved to Northern California a few weeks ago. Orientation began on Sept. 20 (http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/registrar/academic-calendar-1112). Classes started this past Monday. How can you possibly judge whether she is "eating right at college"?

RD
10-02-2011, 06:53 PM
last post

not sure what you're talking about here. I see nothing different about her body. Oh boy, here we go again :rolleyes::scream:

Jenna
10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I don't look at Rachael and think "pretty or ugly" and this conversation shouldn't be about that. I just hope she is eating right at college, because it doesn't appear that she is. That is something you can control. She is starting to look like Shawn Johnson, post-Olympics, which isn't healthy for any athlete. There is no way that Rachael's body can go from 2009 to what it is now, just by a "growth spurt." The haircut only exacerbates this, like when pregnant women chop off their hair, thinking it will make them look thinner. All skaters gain weight and get taller but you don't see them looking absolutely nothing like they used to.

This is absolute nonsense. :blah:

Rachael has never looked better, IMO and she looks NOTHING like Shawn Johnson post-Beijing. Rachael's a cute girl. She's not fat at all. Not everyone is a size zero.
As another post pointed out, classes at Stanford only began this past Monday. So whether she's eating "right" at college has no weight in your argument.

Jot the Dot Dot
10-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Rachael has never looked better, IMO and she looks NOTHING like Shawn Johnson post-Beijing. Rachael's a cute girl. She's not fat at all. Not everyone is a size zero.
As another post pointed out, classes at Stanford only began this past Monday. So whether she's eating "right" at college has no weight in your argument.

Ditto, Jenna! This was taken in April. I saw on TV the post-Beijing Shawn Johnson, and I noticed her being stockier. If Rachael has gone stocky since then, please post pictures. I for one, remain unconvinced. http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/113290007/Getty-Images-Sport

pinky166
10-03-2011, 12:30 AM

Lol sad thing is Rachael probably IS a size zero....or maybe a two at most. Some of you people are nuts. I think people get distracted because Rachael carries most of her weight in her upper body. She is rather busty for a figure skater and doesn't have stick thin arms or a teeny tiny waist, but if you looked closely, you'd realize she has no fat on her stomach, no saddle bags on her thighs, and does not have a pronounced butt either. She has an apple shape, which can be hard to dress and in certain outfits can make one seem bigger than one actually is. Of all the body types it's probably the hardest to flatter, which is probably why some people are confused about Rachael and her fittness. She is fit, she's not at all fat, her body shape just isn't the ideal type for tiny figure skating dresses. That is all.

reese
10-03-2011, 12:36 AM
This thread is disgusting. Don't feed the trolls.

Cheylana
10-03-2011, 12:43 AM
And if you must feed them, can you please not quote them? I have some of these trolls on Ignore. Hopefully we can figure out which ones are the trolls without my calling out names. Thanks.

Jenna
10-03-2011, 01:21 AM

I can't help myself! :mad:

I need to speak up for injustice.

Prancer
10-03-2011, 05:14 AM
This thread is disgusting.

I don't know about that, but I do find it kind of tiresome that every. single. Rachael Flatt thread degenerates into the same ol', same ol'. Really, people, don't you think you have discussed Rachael Flatt's body type pretty much to death?

Does anyone have anything new and different to say? Because if not, I don't see much point in continuing to roll over the same points that have been rolled over in every other Rachael Flatt thread.

Once again, I must remember to be grateful that I was never a skater.

Jenna
10-03-2011, 05:17 AM
I don't know about that, but I do find it kind of tiresome that every. single. Rachael Flatt thread degenerates into the same ol', same ol'. Really, people, don't you think you have discussed Rachael Flatt's body type pretty much to death?

Does anyone have anything new and different to say? Because if not, I don't see much point in continuing to roll over the same points that have been rolled over in every other Rachael Flatt thread.

Once again, I must remember to be grateful that I was never a skater.

I agree with this. SOMEHOW, every thread about her seems to deviate from the actual topic and onto Rachael's looks/weight. It usually starts with a nasty comment and that is followed then a reply by someone sticking up for Rachael. After that, all hell breaks loose.

Sadly, this thread is no longer about Rachel's new coaches.