PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Triple Butz
09-30-2011, 04:05 PM
:eek:

This calls for a palate cleanser (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRy8EA7-HfA&feature=player_detailpage#t=105s).

Thanks, I feel much better now. I was never a fan of Kostner until this gorgeous LP!

olympic
09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
..... Ice dancing coach maybe?

She is training at least part of the time with Sergei Ponomarenko, so maybe that will give her a new look.

Honestly, Rachael has some limitations, but I also think the Tom Z team neglected certain aspects of her skating (which I feel incidentally Tom Z does with most of his skaters). He seems to focus on getting the jumps [but just] and making sure they maximize CoP, which he admittedly does well, but it's almost as if the Tom Z team neglects so many other aspects that would probably help increase PCS and GOE on several elements.

But seeing how Rachael is growing out more than up, I am resigned to think her best days are over in skating. It was like Sarah Hughes in 2003 and beyond, her body just wasn't right anymore for the sport.

I don't know. I think she still has some gas in the tank. She may benefit from this coaching change and understand from another coaching team that while Tom Z was beneficial in some ways, he neglected other things that could've helped her, thus setting her on fire...maybe

modern_muslimah
09-30-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't know. I think she still has some gas in the tank. She may benefit from this coaching change and understand from another coaching team that while Tom Z was beneficial in some ways, he neglected other things that could've helped her, thus setting her on fire...maybe

Well, we've seen what happened with Joshua Farris when he left Tom Z so I'm holding out hope. I think Rachael has a lot of potential and I think in the previous two seasons, she didn't fulfill it. So hopefully, her coaching change will help her.

MacMadame
09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Not to knock Yuna or anything but i've seen her without any makeup and she was rather average looking. Her face is like a canvas so when she gets made up she looks incredible.

I was going to say... I never found Yuna particularly beautiful. She's pretty, and more photogenic than Rachael, but I bet side-by-side I'd think they were both cute girls, but nothing to get in a tizzy about.

Carolla5501
09-30-2011, 08:34 PM
That someone could even think this wasn`t ironic kinda shows the level of discussion here :rofl:

What ticks me off the most is, that you wouldn`t find these kind of vicious comments on any male skater. Where`s the female solidarity here assuming that at least some of the super mean posters are female?

So appearance is important in skating but I give a lot of credit to "normal pretty" girls like Rachael to sport a high self esteem in a sport where you have ethereal and exceptional beauties like Yuna and Alissa walking around in dozens.

Or would ANY of these "posters" be "brave" enough to trash talk like this if they weren't hiding behind a "made up identity" on a message board. :shuffle:

Seriously if you wouldn't say it to thier face, take your fingers off the keyboard.

If you would be upset if someone said it about YOU or your child, then why is it "OK"?? Once again... Fingers off the keyboard.

I really started thinking about what I said when I realized that parents and skaters were on here. I made the two statements above my "rules" and try to live by them. There's no need to "hurt" people just so I feel "superior" or get a laugh.

If you are "model thin" and look like a TV star then MAYBE you can afford to throw stones. The rest of us should step back and think about what could be said about US!

RD
09-30-2011, 09:23 PM
It always seems this sort of stuff is an issue in a R. Flatt thread though. Same thing happened in the previous two RF threads (particularly the one where she got fined by USFS).

But, you know- I can't think of a time on the boards where a particular skater WASN'T picked on to some extent. Some get it more than others.

I think the comment that gets me the most is the calling someone "fat" (or hinting at it) when they aren't even close.

Triple Butz
09-30-2011, 10:01 PM
It always seems this sort of stuff is an issue in a R. Flatt thread though. Same thing happened in the previous two RF threads (particularly the one where she got fined by USFS).

But, you know- I can't think of a time on the boards where a particular skater WASN'T picked on to some extent. Some get it more than others.

I think the comment that gets me the most is the calling someone "fat" (or hinting at it) when they aren't even close.

I can only speak for myself, and I have surely criticized Flatt for things that relate to her SKATING. As far as her looks go, she has an adorable face and she's petite...anybody who says anything different is either blind or jealous.

pinky166
09-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I was going to say... I never found Yuna particularly beautiful. She's pretty, and more photogenic than Rachael, but I bet side-by-side I'd think they were both cute girls, but nothing to get in a tizzy about.

Well I don't think facially Yuna is super gorgeous either. Most of Yuna's appeal on the ice is due to her body type, which is ideal for the sport. But she's not a 6-foot tall, blonde, stacked model type either. Yuna is a willowy asian girl with classic good looks, Rachael is a petite blonde with a cute face. Walking down the street, you'd probably consider both girls as cute, pretty, attractive, fit, etc, but personally I don't think I'd stop and stare at either.

RD
09-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Well I don't think facially Yuna is super gorgeous either. Most of Yuna's appeal on the ice is due to her body type, which is ideal for the sport. But she's not a 6-foot tall, blonde, stacked model type either. Yuna is a willowy asian girl with classic good looks, Rachael is a petite blonde with a cute face. Walking down the street, you'd probably consider both girls as cute, pretty, attractive, fit, etc, but personally I don't think I'd stop and stare at either.

Well, from my (male) perspective, I see them as alright individually (and I realize this is very subjective)...but they would blend in with most everyday crowds.

I won't speak for Rachel but I know at least Yuna has her share of male "admirers"...I definitely would not include myself among them however.

As far as [Flatt's] looks go, she has an adorable face and she's petite...anybody who says anything different is either blind or jealous.

It's subjective...I wouldn't call anyone else "jealous" for having an opposing view. But if it's bad enough, probably better to just not say it at all.

Triple Butz
10-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Well, from my (male) perspective, I see them as alright individually (and I realize this is very subjective)...but they would blend in with most everyday crowds.

I won't speak for Rachel but I know at least Yuna has her share of male "admirers"...I definitely would not include myself among them however.

It's subjective...I wouldn't call anyone else "jealous" for having an opposing view. But if it's bad enough, probably better to just not say it at all.

I didn't say they were all jealous. Some of them are possibly blind. :rolleyes:

In any case, what does her face have to do with her chances of succeeding in skating and what could she do to change it even if it mattered?

AxelAnnie
10-01-2011, 01:04 AM
I can only speak for myself, and I have surely criticized Flatt for things that relate to her SKATING. As far as her looks go, she has an adorable face and she's petite...anybody who says anything different is either blind or jealous.

Well, I am neither blind nor jealous. And, I think she looks chubby on TV. She is all soft lines and sort of smooshy looking.............as compared to Agnes, or Alissa who are long, lean, and have defined musculature.

Part of Rachael's problem with her appearance on camera is that the camera does not flatter her. Period. Some get a break that way, and some don't.

Also, she slouches. I watched the warm up in US Nats (I wanted to watch another skater's SP). Rachael's shoulders go up (which shortens her neck........which is not long and lean to begin with), her upper body slouches forward, and the tights over the boots coupled with the skirt length (which is not flattering to her thighs) give an over all lumbering, quality.

Her current hairstyle (which on another person, with thicker hair, and longer neck, and more prominent facial bones) adds to the choppiness of her neck/shoulders.

I don't "hate" her. These are just my impressions and opinions.......what is what the forum is all about. I learn a good deal about skating and skaters by reading other peoples critiques, criticisms and praise.

With Rachael, IMO, part of the issue is a disconnect between the fun, peppy, young skater we saw at her first nationals, and the kind of dowdy, squared of lady we see now.

I hope that her new coaches can re-package her to emphasize her strengths. I said it about Irina upthread. The cameras were not kind to Irina......but she took her bowed legs and funny bone structure, and flattered it with her long, flowing, slit skirts. The result was quite wonderful.

On another note......I can't imagine that Rachael's skating isn't going to take a hit this year. Not even Michelle could balance a full UCLA schedule and maintain her skating. There are only so many hours in the day, and only so many things you can pack in there. I do wish her well, though.

AxelAnnie
10-01-2011, 01:06 AM

Oh, you might not stare at Yu-Na on the street.........but when she takes the ice, her body (face included) create magic.

Triple Butz
10-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Well, I am neither blind nor jealous. And, I think she looks chubby on TV. She is all soft lines and sort of smooshy looking.............as compared to Agnes, or Alissa who are long, lean, and have defined musculature.

Part of Rachael's problem with her appearance on camera is that the camera does not flatter her. Period. Some get a break that way, and some don't.

Also, she slouches. I watched the warm up in US Nats (I wanted to watch another skater's SP). Rachael's shoulders go up (which shortens her neck........which is not long and lean to begin with), her upper body slouches forward, and the tights over the boots coupled with the skirt length (which is not flattering to her thighs) give an over all lumbering, quality.

Her current hairstyle (which on another person, with thicker hair, and longer neck, and more prominent facial bones) adds to the choppiness of her neck/shoulders.

I don't "hate" her. These are just my impressions and opinions.......what is what the forum is all about. I learn a good deal about skating and skaters by reading other peoples critiques, criticisms and praise.

With Rachael, IMO, part of the issue is a disconnect between the fun, peppy, young skater we saw at her first nationals, and the kind of dowdy, squared of lady we see now.

I hope that her new coaches can re-package her to emphasize her strengths. I said it about Irina upthread. The cameras were not kind to Irina......but she took her bowed legs and funny bone structure, and flattered it with her long, flowing, slit skirts. The result was quite wonderful.

On another note......I can't imagine that Rachael's skating isn't going to take a hit this year. Not even Michelle could balance a full UCLA schedule and maintain her skating. There are only so many hours in the day, and only so many things you can pack in there. I do wish her well, though.
I agree with most of this, what I'm commenting on is people who say she looks ugly, or that there's something wrong with her face.

RD
10-01-2011, 01:12 AM
In any case, what does her face have to do with her chances of succeeding in skating

Nothing

and what could she do to change it even if it mattered?

same.

AxelAnnie
10-01-2011, 01:16 AM
I agree with most of this, what I'm commenting on is people who say she looks ugly, or that there's something wrong with her face.

Totally agree with that. :hat1: