PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Iceman
09-15-2011, 12:45 AM
The Psychotherapist Frederich Perls's so-called Gestalt Prayer

I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I,
and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped.

nikjil
09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
^ Really?

After looking at a few pictures, and re-watching her skating, it seems to me that Rachael could do a lot for herself if she improved her posture and carriage. She is a cute girl. But those shoulders come up.....she has a short neck anyway, and she breaks forward at the waist...almost a slouch. Put that together with unflattering costumes, a lack of musicality (or an abundance of forced expressions), and you have a mess. The kid started off with a great style, verve, and exuberance. I don't know who messed with her....but had she kept on the track she was on when she first appeared on the scene, I think it would be a different story.

She is consistent. And that is what you can say about her skating. Other than that, it is pretty forgettable. And, it is a shame.

Remember when Irina started wearing the longer skirts? It made a huge difference. Yet, Rachel keeps picking styles that are not flattering to her body line. You have what you have to work with, and I don't think she is maximizing it. I can't figure out why......I thought at first it was all some kind of "fresh faced youth" statement, from her parents............kind of you don't need makeup to be beautiful.

I wish she would get some good coaching both with her choreography and style. Then put that together with her consistency...you would have something worth watching. IMO

I've watched Rachael for years and her posture has improved tremendously since she was a novice and junior skater. Her presentation has also gotten much better, for years she came off as either terribly shy or terribly frightened on the ice.

I don't think Rachael lacks musicality. I thinks she doesn't project well and skates "small." I've found that my opinions on her programs change radically depending on where I'm sitting in the rink. Programs that I've found horribly boring and lacking in presentation when I'm higher up and on the opposite side of the rink as judges, are much better and very enjoyable when I'm closer to ice and on the same side as the judges. I really think someone needs to sit on the top row of the arenas and shout "project" at her.

PDilemma
09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I really think someone needs to sit on the top row of the arenas and shout "project" at her.

I have experience with that. I used to sit at the back of the auditorium and shout "project" when I directed high school drama. :lol:

Think it would pay well???

AxelAnnie
09-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I've watched Rachael for years and her posture has improved tremendously since she was a novice and junior skater. Her presentation has also gotten much better, for years she came off as either terribly shy or terribly frightened on the ice.

I don't think Rachael lacks musicality. I thinks she doesn't project well and skates "small." I've found that my opinions on her programs change radically depending on where I'm sitting in the rink. Programs that I've found horribly boring and lacking in presentation when I'm higher up and on the opposite side of the rink as judges, are much better and very enjoyable when I'm closer to ice and on the same side as the judges. I really think someone needs to sit on the top row of the arenas and shout "project" at her.

Hey, thanks for the insight. Interesting point.

BackOnTheIce
09-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Last I checked, Justin Dillon didn't have any hair. :shuffle:

Quite mean and uncalled for. And while Justin's hair is thinning on top he has hair on his head.

:mad:

BackOnTheIce
09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Is she hearing it? Does she listen to what fans/spectators/random-Joe-Schmoe has to suggest?

If she listens to them all, how does she know which one to follow? Who's to say that kwanatic's advice is sounder than Mr. Schmoe's advice or vice versa? It's all just personal opinion.

Do any of YOU listen to perfect strangers comments about what you need to improve and then do it? :eek:

leigh466
09-16-2011, 03:55 AM
No I do not. And if I were Rachel or anyone close to her and I read this board, my reaction would be, " BLEEP off and die BLeep-holes!!"

Louise
09-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Well I don't appear on tv nor am I judged on my presentation. I feel for Rachael. She has probably gotten so many different recommendations and she just hasn't lived outside the box from where she's lived to take it all in. Many times I can tell who is east coast, west coast, and Rocky Mt based on their appearance, especially at skating competitions. Clue: the flannel shirt and short Rachael-ish hair are not on either coast.
Does Rachael take ballet? Maybe she should take a modelling class. You lift your head up to give maximum neck. God I sound like Tyra Banks. For whatever reason a long neck is thought to be more feminine and beautiful. I don't even know if Rachael has one the way she skates. That was the thing with Cohen, she might have been 5' tall, but there was so much lift in her presentation she appeared inches taller and lighter.
Didn't Sarah Hughes get a west coast designer to just "redo" her for the Olympics? She was smart. What she had was NOT working. I hope now that Rachael is back in CA she will get better input. I want her to do well, or at least maximize all the many positive things she has. She's never going to have a Czisny or Nagasu body, but that's okay. Work on the speed and lightness, and for god's sake stop that bubbly, Betty Boop choreo that is SOOO not her. Dress appropriately, if it is a sheer navy blue (black might be too severe) dress, actually sort of like what Slutskaya used to wear.
I admire her perseverance, and wish her well in her studies. Who knows, with less time at the rink, maybe she will really focus on her presentation this year. Good luck.

MacMadame
09-16-2011, 04:56 AM
No I do not. And if I were Rachel or anyone close to her and I read this board, my reaction would be, " BLEEP off and die BLeep-holes!!"
My reaction would be:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Fly On The Wall
09-16-2011, 08:22 AM

:respec: x 100

Iceman
09-16-2011, 01:16 PM
To the person who asked if Rachael takes ballet. She has in the past, as to whether she is still doing that I don't know.

Angela-Fan
09-17-2011, 09:44 PM

:lol::D

arakwafan2006
09-18-2011, 12:32 AM

I completely agree with you. I specifically think you organized and vocalized my thoughts when you say she skates small. Truer words have never been spoken. She seems just so casual about the whole thing. Yu Na is very casual in her spproach at perfection lol but Flatt's casualness comes across as really sore looking almost. Her stroking is not powerful, she does not attack much and she's not elegant enough (Czisny) to skate so delicately. I dont find her programs bad at all but i do really wish that she would skate with more power.

Maofan7
09-18-2011, 06:05 AM
Here's hoping that Rachael becomes US National champion again. Its a real shame that she has the problems she has with her back. Who can tell how much that has impeded her during her career and how much more she could have achieved thus far had she not had this problem

Jammers
09-18-2011, 08:32 PM
The US needs skaters who can finish in the top 5 and get those 3 spots back. Neither of which Rachael has shown she can deliver quite frankly.