PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Triple Butz
09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
It isn't about physically being beautiful. It is about presenting yourself well. Rachael just hasn't done that. She needs What Not to Wear for figure skaters. That show doesn't focus on physically fixing faults. It focuses on picking lines and cuts that suit your body, colors that suit your complexion, and hair and make-up appropriate for your lifestyle, skin, facial shape, etc...Rachael could use a tutorial on all of those things. And What Not to Wear for Figure Skaters would also have to take into account how things appear from faraway in an arena and on television. Bright yellow dress--not great for the television, her complexion or her hair color, for example. That is not a fix that is a comment on her actual physical attributes nor does it require plastic surgery. She has a beautiful complexion; she's just not doing it any favors on the ice the majority of the time with her color choices for costumes or make-up. She seems to be capable of better choices in her personal life. Her prom picture from her junior year, I think, that appeared on Facebook was a homerun for make-up, hair, dress cut and color---everything. And looking at atrocities like Agnes's neon pink dress last year...it is not out of the realm of possibility that the problem was with Tom Z's team, rather than Rachael.

Hopefully, aside from the hair cut, we'll see better choices with her new team.

THIS. I have seen very little criticism about Rachael's physique, or her looks. No one is saying she needs plastic surgery- she's a really cute girl. She just needs to find a dress/skirt combo that doesn't make her lines so choppy and a top that doesn't exacerbate her tension/hunching issues in the neck and shoulders. Send her to WNTW stat! :lol:

giselle23
09-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Every year people complain Rachel needs a makeover, and every year Rachel has one pretty much along the lines of what people suggest. She needed to change her hair color, so she did. People still complained. She needed to change the cut and color of her outfits to be more figure flattering, so she did. People still complained. She needed to ditch the bun and go with a freer hair style, so she did. People still complained.

I don't think Rachael has taken some of the good style suggestions I have seen here and elsewhere. (Her look was even gently criticized on the celebrity fashion site, Go Fug Yourself. http://gofugyourself.com/us-nationals-fab-and-fabber-ladies-and-pairs-skaters-02-2011/u-s-figure-skating-championships-5).

I don't know where she got the idea to cut her hair--I always thought she should wear it longer and partially down, as in a half ponytail. She hasn't improved her costuming either. Red and bright yellow are not flattering to her. I think she should wear black or dark blue, maybe with long sleeves. A high neckline also might work for her--perhaps something like the black dress Michelle wore for Miraculous Mandarin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWarys9kuzM She should also ditch the boot covers and wear white boots. A classic look would do wonders for her overall appearance, in my opinion.

Iceman
09-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I wish some of you would post pics of yourself made up and dressed to present yourself at your best. I seriously doubt any of us, myself included, would go unscathed.
Rachael definitely doesn't need to be a "Georgie Girl", trying to fulfill others notions of how she should "look" and feeling ridiculous in the process. I was really surprised that she and her parents didn't ignore the judges suggestions, but they probably thought that might hurt her chance of medaling. She needs most of all to be comfortable with herself on the ice. And, I believe MAC advises her on her makeup.

Who in the hell is Jessica?

olympic
09-11-2011, 12:00 AM
I don't think Rachael has taken some of the good style suggestions I have seen here and elsewhere. (Her look was even gently criticized on the celebrity fashion site, Go Fug Yourself. http://gofugyourself.com/us-nationals-fab-and-fabber-ladies-and-pairs-skaters-02-2011/u-s-figure-skating-championships-5).

I don't know where she got the idea to cut her hair--I always thought she should wear it longer and partially down, as in a half ponytail. She hasn't improved her costuming either. Red and bright yellow are not flattering to her. I think she should wear black or dark blue, maybe with long sleeves. A high neckline also might work for her--perhaps something like the black dress Michelle wore for Miraculous Mandarin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWarys9kuzM She should also ditch the boot covers and wear white boots. A classic look would do wonders for her overall appearance, in my opinion.

Talked to the BF about Rachael. He worked in fashion, so I tend to respect his opinions.

He said Rachael should stick with dark, deep colors - black, navy blue and perhaps a burgundy. For the hair, avoid having it plastered against her head, instead, wear it 'puffed' out just a bit to properly accentuate her face and neck. I personally think she might look good with some subtle highlights

I also like the idea of white boots for more leg line. Didn't she do that for EoE? Can't remember.

jjane45
09-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Although I am not too fond of the EoE cosutme, I heard kids request costumes in the color of "Rachael Flatt yellow" ;)

Cloudy_Gumdrops
09-11-2011, 12:52 AM
He said Rachael should stick with dark, deep colors - black, navy blue and perhaps a burgundy.

We've all been barking up that tree since Rachael went senior.

Jot the Dot Dot
09-11-2011, 01:05 AM

I agree with you about the haircut, I always preferred her hair longer. But I think she looks fine in yellow. As for that celebrity fashion site "Go Forth And Multiply" (or words to that effect;), that's just nitpicking.

victoriaheidi
09-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Who in the hell is Jessica?

Am I missing something?

arakwafan2006
09-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Frank's looking old all of a sudden....

yes...i said the same thing

Dilng
09-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I almost think she opens herself up to some of these criticisms with her posture and carriage. It almost says, "pick on me."

that sounds like an excuse to pick on her! :rolleyes:

Louise
09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
It's so surprising since she's obviously with some OCD traits given her school schedule, her ability to perfect jumps, etc. Maybe she just likes the way she presents herself and doesn't care? But you'd think if you came this far, you'd try to perfect the presentation. We all have flaws, most of us just try to camouflage them and accentuate the positives. Hopefully this new team will help her with that.

minignome
09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
It's so surprising since she's obviously with some OCD traits given her school schedule, her ability to perfect jumps, etc. Maybe she just likes the way she presents herself and doesn't care? But you'd think if you came this far, you'd try to perfect the presentation. We all have flaws, most of us just try to camouflage them and accentuate the positives. Hopefully this new team will help her with that.

Why is doing well at school and perfecting jumps an OCD trait? Maybe she LIKES school and jumping and so is willing to work hard at it!:D

Triple Butz
09-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Why is doing well at school and perfecting jumps an OCD trait? Maybe she LIKES school and jumping and so is willing to work hard at it!:D

I don't think she meant OCD as a bad thing, perfectionist is probably a better word choice.

nubka
09-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Peggy Fleming got work done? :eek: Peggy, Peggy, Peggy ...

Edit: Oh, and I sort of remember people telling Rachael to cut her hair before. Maybe I'm imaging things though.

You are not imagining. Then when she cut it, there was nothing but complaints. She really can't do anything right, according to some... :shuffle:

Jenna
09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
^ That is is the sad, unfortunate truth.