PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of the figure skater whose picture was found with ashes in Arlington Cemetery

Pages : [1] 2 3

olympic
08-19-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/identity-of-arlington-cemetery-remains-might-rest-on-army-search-for-girl-in-photo/2011/08/18/gIQAhGBjOJ_story_1.html

Bizarre. Her pic was mysteriously found in a plot at Arlington Cemetery. They don't know who she is.

Investigators have been able to narrow down that this photo was taken at the Ice Works rink in Aston, PA around 1999 and 2000.

Was this perhaps a Jr. competitor in Liberty Open 1999? :eek: [if the comp. existed back then ... ] Since she's in a skating outfit, this looks like a competition, not a practice.

Heck, maybe someone on FSU could recognize her!

manleywoman
08-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I was just coming here to post this. Bizarre.

Sylvia
08-19-2011, 12:52 PM
The Liberty Summer Competition moved to IceWorks in Aston, PA in July 2004. The competition was renamed 'Liberty' around 2002 and relocated to the Pond Ice Arena in Newark, Delaware for 2 summers (2002 & 2003). It was known as 'Wissahickon' up until 2001 when it was hosted by the club of that name in the Northwest section of Philadelphia known as Chestnut Hill.

ETA: I just checked the IceWorks site and it said that the "Twin Rinks of Aston opened its doors to the public in October of 1997." I don't recall when and how big the skating competitions were that were held there in those early years.

Louise
08-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I wish the article gave more details. She was cremated and put in Arlington? Where did the picture come from? You would think it would be relatively easy to find a competitive skater who went missing. Her costume looked like the typical juvenile/novice skating dress, so her parents put some money into her skating. Strange.

JamieElena
08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
It was a bit confusing, I had to read it twice before I saw that under the picture it says that her picture was found in a bag in an urn of ashes of an unknown soldier. So she is alive and if is still into skating, may very well be an FSU'er....

flyingsit
08-19-2011, 02:08 PM
The picture reminded me of a young Kati Hadford.

Jenna
08-19-2011, 02:11 PM
This is definitely IceWorks, but it's not the Liberty competition because Sylvia pointed out it wasn't even hosted there until 2004. Very bizarre.

Skittl1321
08-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I wish the article gave more details. She was cremated and put in Arlington? Where did the picture come from?

I don't think they think they are her ashes- I think they think the girl in the picture might provide a clue as to whose ashes they are. Like maybe her picture was set in with her Dad's ashes.

Yehudi
08-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Arlington has major problems right now with the discovery that a lot of the graves have been misidentified and the remains of more than one person being buried at a particular location. In regards to this case, last year they discovered a mass grave with 8 urns, all marked "unknown" and so they are trying to identify the remains. As JamieElena said, the photo was found with the urn and they are hoping that it is a clue as to who is the soldier in the urn. Here's an updated article with more info on what's going on at Arlington.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/identity-of-arlington-cemetery-remains-might-rest-on-army-search-for-girl-in-photo/2011/08/18/gIQAhGBjOJ_story.html

AYS
08-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Maybe a change in the thread title would be helpful, to indicate "figure skater whose picture was found with ashes in Arlington..."

A board like fsu may be the absolute best possible way to get this picture in front of the right person, identify the skater and ultimately the person whose ashes they are. I hope getting the picture out on the internet like this leads to the answer.

JamieElena
08-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Arlington has major problems right now with the discovery that a lot of the graves have been misidentified and the remains of more than one person being buried at a particular location. In regards to this case, last year they discovered a mass grave with 8 urns, all marked "unknown" and so they are trying to identify the remains. As JamieElena said, the photo was found with the urn and they are hoping that it is a clue as to who is the soldier in the urn. Here's an updated article with more info on what's going on at Arlington.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/identity-of-arlington-cemetery-remains-might-rest-on-army-search-for-girl-in-photo/2011/08/18/gIQAhGBjOJ_story.html

Ahhhh, it all makes sense - now that I see I hadn't read page 1 of the story only page 2. All the links before this pointed to page 2 and I didn't see there was a page 1.

The heartwrenching thing is thinking about families not knowing or who believe their relatives remains lie somewhere where they aren't.

Capella
08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
The pose looks very Don Quixote-like, even though the dress doesn't scream that music.

elka_sk8
08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't think they think they are her ashes- I think they think the girl in the picture might provide a clue as to whose ashes they are. Like maybe her picture was set in with her Dad's ashes.

That's the impression I got too- sounds like they don't know WHO the ashes belong to, but since it's in Arlington, a soldier seems most likely.

Saw the article this morning and was wondering if anyone had posted it here yet- hopefully someone can solve the mystery!

Lara
08-19-2011, 03:51 PM
I found this timeline for IceWorks:
http://iceworksskatingcomplex.wordpress.com/timeline/

If IceWorks only had interim probationary status as a USFSA (now USFS) member in 1999 you wouldn't expect there to have been any major competitions at the time, especially as the rink wasn't fully expanded till 2001. So I'm not sure about the likeliness of it not being a local skater despite the lack of identification so far.

Unfortunately you can't really tell if it's even a competition or a run-through trying out a new dress...

Skittl1321
08-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Could it have been an ISI competition?