PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of the figure skater whose picture was found with ashes in Arlington Cemetery

Pages : 1 2 [3]

skatesindreams
08-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Glad to know the mystery has been solved.

victoriaheidi
08-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Nice to hear the mystery has been solved!

Wow, she looks so grown-up, considering the fact that she was only about 8 in that photo! She has a look young skaters today don't really have. It's pretty cool!

leafygreens
08-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Crazy story, and both links are poorly written, I might add.

Lacey
08-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I thought it looked like a granddaughter, but thought it would be out of a grandfather.

Sylvia
08-20-2011, 04:06 AM
It is solved: Rachel Stecher

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mystery-of-unknown-figure-skater-solved/2011/08/19/gIQAXwc9PJ_story.html
From the article:

But Kate Stecher remembers the day the photograph was taken. It was at the South Atlantic Regional Competition near Philadelphia in 2002, she said, and her daughter was 10. Her program was two minutes long, and it was set to George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue.”

“She won that event,” Kate Stecher said. “That’s why I put that photograph in the urn.”
2002 South Atlantic Regionals was held in Aston, PA in October 2001 - link to all the qualifying level results: http://www.usfsa.org/event_details.asp?id=18231
Stecher is not listed in any of the Juvenile Girls results from that event, so I assume she must have won the non-qualifying Pre-Juvenile (or lower level) event that year.

feraina
08-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Kate Stecher said it took place in 2002, so maybe it was the following year?

Sylvia
08-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Kate Stecher said it took place in 2002, so maybe it was the following year?
No, 2003 South Atlantics was held in York, PA in October 2002 and I didn't see Stecher's name listed in any of the Juvenile Girls results. It can be confusing because the year associated/used with Regionals is for Nationals that same season.

haribobo's link (above) to the Cherry Blossom club competition results was from April 2003 when Stecher was competing as a Juvenile. I found Stecher's name in one of the Juvenile Girls' 6 qualifying group results for 2004 South Atlantic Regionals in October 2003 in Laurel, Maryland: http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=/content/events/200304/regionals-sa/juvgirls-1d.htm
(Side note: The 2nd place finisher in that group, Haley Dunne, was 8th in Junior at 2011 Nationals and is competing as a Senior this season, while Isabella Cannuscio is now a Senior level national/international ice dancer. Kristine Musademba won the 2004 South Atlantic Juvenile title.)

milanessa
08-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Wouldn't be the first time someone embellished their child's accomplishments.

victoriaheidi
08-21-2011, 06:17 AM

That was my first thought, too. Perhaps "prodigy" was a poor word choice...:shuffle:

Hannahclear
08-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Crazy story, and both links are poorly written, I might add.

Seriously. Took me some time to figure out what the hell they were talking about. Reads like some sort of missing kid case, but thank goodness, it's not.

Tammi
08-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Reading the article, it appears the reporter embellished and not necessarily the parent (no quotes around that particular statement). I'm not surprised, regular staff writers usually just want to know about the Olympic aspirations, as that's usually the depth of their knowledge with figure skating ;) .

I'm glad this particular family has had closure, although it sounds like they had no idea anything was amiss to begin with.

gkelly
08-21-2011, 10:43 PM

Nor the first time that a reporter without much knowledge of how skating works misunderstood or embellished a straightforward account that would make sense to people who do know the difference between, e.g., the designations preliminary, juvenile, and novice as used by US Figure Skating.