PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of the figure skater whose picture was found with ashes in Arlington Cemetery

Pages : 1 [2] 3

kirkbiggestfan
08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
The pose looks very Don Quixote-like, even though the dress doesn't scream that music.

She has her right arm raised in a classical ballet 3rd position. If her left arm was on her hip, then maybe...but one arm raised won`t tell us much, except that it wasn`t river dance. ;)

julieann
08-19-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think they think they are her ashes- I think they think the girl in the picture might provide a clue as to whose ashes they are. Like maybe her picture was set in with her Dad's ashes.

I think you're right, I'm not sure why it was assumed they were her ashes and not her father, grandfather, brother etc. It was a horribly written story and hopefully someone can write a better one with more facts and someone may recognize the girl in the photo if not the girl herself.

victoriaheidi
08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
That's the impression I got too- sounds like they don't know WHO the ashes belong to, but since it's in Arlington, a soldier seems most likely.

Saw the article this morning and was wondering if anyone had posted it here yet- hopefully someone can solve the mystery!

Now that I've read both pages (I, too, mistakenly read page 2 and believed it was the only page. Whoops!), I think the question of whose remains they are is somewhat unsolved, too. According to the article:

If they find out who the young girl is, the agents believe they’ll be able to identify who is in the urn.

But they have only a weathered, grainy photograph, and lots of unanswered questions. Is she the relative of a deceased veteran — a daughter, or granddaughter, perhaps? Did her family include the photograph in the urn, as is sometimes done, because they wanted her to be with her relative for eternity? Could the remains be hers? Is she maybe still alive?

I do agree with the person who said that FSU may be the best place to find the answer to this kind of question. I hope this mystery gets solved!

Visaliakid
08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
The first entry is a major Error In Fact. The Girl Ashes were NOT found in urn in Arlington National Cemetary... A photo of this young girl (at the time) was found in an urn with an unidentified soldier's ashes. Would mods correct this please or have the originator of the thread redo the initial information. The correct info is circulating the web via Facebook and Twitter.

victoriaheidi
08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
The picture reminded me of a young Kati Hadford.

Hate to double-post, but still:

1. Kati Hadford is a native Virginian
2. She's 22 right now

Sylvia
08-19-2011, 05:08 PM
This is page 1 of the Washington Post article - read this page first! (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/identity-of-arlington-cemetery-remains-might-rest-on-army-search-for-girl-in-photo/2011/08/18/gIQAhGBjOJ_story.html) (I also was confused, not realizing the original link was to page 2 of the article)

julieann
08-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Now that I've read both pages (I, too, mistakenly read page 2 and believed it was the only page. Whoops!)

Me too, I wondered why some crucial facts were left out :shuffle: ...some things are now cleared up. Thanks for pointing out a page one.

danceronice
08-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Assuming it's someone who has a right to be interred in Arlington, the options are:

1. A member of the armed forces who died in combat, served and retired/was discharged after long enough to qualify for Arlington, or recieved certain decorations that qualify for internment regardless of service length (the qualifications for cremains in the columbarium are slightly less than for intact burials because they take up less space).
2. A spouse of someone meeting the qualifcations above
3. The minor child of the above.
4. Someone recieving a special exemption for Arlington burial (highly unlikely they'd screw that one up, but it's possible.)

Unfortunately, because the rules for cremains are a little less stringent, and because they can be shipped to the cemetery for internment (rather than the very strict scheduling required for intact burials) that makes it a lot easier for these screw-ups to happen and a LOT harder to identify remains.

Depending on when the remains were dumped, it could be a 1. and the skater is the daughter, granddaughter, friend, other relative of the person in the urn, it could be a 1. and it's her as she'd now be old enough to be serving in Iraq or Afghanistan (though one would think they could eliminate that possibility quickly as there aren't an insurmountable number of dead and even fewer females), it's a 3., they're her ashes and one or both parents are military or already buried in Arlington....

But really, I'm kind of surprised FSU hasn't come up with an answer already and just one suggestion! This is certainly the place to ask.

Skittl1321
08-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Hate to double-post, but still:

1. Kati Hadford is a native Virginian
2. She's 22 right now

If you think there is even the slightest chance, it might be worth emailing that name in. It at least gives them someone to check.

taf2002
08-19-2011, 06:54 PM
When I saw the picture I was positive I've seen her skate. But the only comps I've been to that she could have skated at were minor ones in Texas. I've been to Worlds, Nationals, & Skate America, but if she could qualify for one of those she would have been identified by now. Maybe she just has a familiar face.

olympic
08-19-2011, 06:54 PM
^Sorry to all about the link. I'm quite tired today and it looks like I posted it incorrectly :o

FigureSpins
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
^Sorry to all about the link. I'm quite tired today and it looks like I posted it incorrectly :o
Can you correct your opening post? It's misleading.

Rob
08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
It is solved: Rachel Stecher

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mystery-of-unknown-figure-skater-solved/2011/08/19/gIQAXwc9PJ_story.html

haribobo
08-19-2011, 08:11 PM
FWIW, here's her name in results- she was juvenile in 2003.

http://www.crcskating.org/Cherry_Results/2003/JVGAC1.html

mysticchic
08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
here is the picture again. I tried to fix it http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/mysticchic/Skaterphoto-2b.jpg