PDA

View Full Version : Kim Undecided About Worlds

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Iceman
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Kim skated at worlds imo as if she were just going through the motions, doing a practice run ( as one writer put it she had lost her magic). With no other competitions that year, I wasn't expecting her former level of skating, but certainly was surprised at how lackluster her performance was. In her position now, I see no reason she need give in to any pressure to continue competing and I hope she won't if she doesn't want to. What can they do to her if she chooses not to? Nothing imo. Does anyone know if she is even working on competitive programs for this year?

Coco
08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
I love ya Marco, but Ando's programs were way better this year vs. 2010. I don't have any problems with her PCS. (I have problems with PCS generally, believe me, but not those marks.)

Marco
08-18-2011, 01:22 PM
I love ya Marco, but Ando's programs were way better this year vs. 2010. I don't have any problems with her PCS. (I have problems with PCS generally, believe me, but not those marks.)

:lol: I am glad you enjoyed Ando this past season. To me her programs were boring and same old same old. :shuffle:

RunnersHigh
08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
:lol: I am glad you enjoyed Ando this past season. To me her programs were boring and same old same old. :shuffle:

Marco! We have to agree to disagree. ;)

lowtherlore
08-18-2011, 01:53 PM
For those anxious to see Kim retired: be prepared to be disappointed. She will continue competing. I’m saying this on practical observation, not on wishful thinking.

She herself has repeatedly said that she doesn’t have any intention to explore other career path, and that she would still be skating in 10 years from now. Turning exclusively to pro skating? What’s the additional benefit for her doing that, when she can have her own mega-shows at least twice a year during off-season. And continuing a competitive career would help her show skating too, and I assume she knows that with the current state of things with the pro skating circuit.

My guess is, she has a bug in that: she hasn’t won since her Olympic victory; and she has (amazingly) never won an international competition at any level in her homeland (she finished second in 2008 GPF, the only international event she entered at home in her entire career). Japanfan says in earlier post that she is moving away from competition. My prediction: She will be more and more competition oriented, as Sochi get nearer. And we fans would be treated as the Sochi ladies’ singles would be legitimately billed as the showdown between the young guns and the veterans, in quite a long time.

As for PyeongChang 2018, after the PC’s win, Kim said something to the effect of “It would be great to compete on Olympic ice at homeland.” I think, at least in the corner of her mind, she has the desire to compete in 2018. It could be motivation enough for her, as Kwan was motivated to compete in her third Olympics, albeit for different reasons. It’s unlikely she would be THE favorite to win come 2018. But, is it preposterous to imagine that she could be one of the favorites? Slutskaya at 27 was THE favorite at Turin. Even when Kim would no longer be considered as one of the favorites entering 2018, I envision it would be even more epic to watch her go for her first ever win on her home soil as an underdog to conclude her competitive career, win or lose.

riveredge
08-18-2011, 02:48 PM
As I read this article, I find it more likely that $peedy and SBS, a Korean TV station who has the broadcasting rights to ISU championships, are doing most of the pressuring.
http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=001&oid=087&aid=0000335633
BTW, it's in Korean so don't bother clicking if you can't read it. lol

It's an lengthy interview with the Chairman of SBS regarding stories behind Pyongchang's winning bid for 2018 Olys. He specifically cites how $peedy requested to him that Kim participate more in ISU championships. I can only guess, but it could be that $peedy's demand for Kim's participation had been taken as a condition for his support for PC.

this is a latest interview of SBS chairman.. we're talking about Speedy here... not surprising that he wants Yuna to participate in more ISU events.. :rolleyes:

RumbleFish
08-18-2011, 03:37 PM
this is a latest interview of SBS chairman.. we're talking about Speedy here... not surprising that he wants Yuna to participate in more ISU events.. :rolleyes:

No wonder he had to bow to Kim at the medal ceremony in Moscow.
"Thank you for letting us draw interest and make money, but we ain't giving you no gold." :rolleyes:

taf2002
08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Yu na's execution was poor. Ando's execution of the program was good. In general, Yu na is a better skater than Ando, but in this competition Ando was better. Where did I say they are equal skaters? We are talking about one particular competition- worlds 2011. If you want to worship Yu na and just award her gold medals regardless of how she skates, I am glad you are not a FS judge.

I have never been on the Miki bandwagon but I completely agree with this. Yuna phoned it in IMO.

I agree. 45% Kim is better than 85% Ando everyday.

Are you for real? When she won the OGM Kim had nothing unique beyond her flawless 3/3's. In general she isn't as clunky as Miki but her positions are not much better.

As embarassing as it would be for Kim to win so far below her usual self, it is even more embarassing for the sport to now have Ando as a 2 time World Champion,

FS survived Sarah H as an OGM, FS will survive this. Better for Miki to be 2 time WC than to hand out gold on reputation.

But Kim skated far below her usual self and not as well as Miki. If she is such a better skater then it is she, not Ando, who should be embarrassed.

The final flight of ladies at Worlds was sub-par. Miki won it fair and square and has nothing to be ashamed of.

Agree.

Atleast in 2007 her win made sense as she skated the 2 performances of her life with triple lutz-triple loop combinations in both programs, excelling in the only area she is truly good at (jumping) which she didnt even do this year, and won by virtue of two much better skaters making big mistakes she didnt, not much better skaters making similar mistakes to hers.

Tons of people have won by virtue of standing up when their better opponents faltured. The ice is slippery.

BTW, your uberism is showing. Try for a little objectivity please.

Dragonlady
08-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Yu-Na didn't look like the same skater at Worlds this year. She had lost speed, flow, performance level and I don't think I saw her smile once on the ice. She really looked like she didn't want to be there.

And I can't see the Korean Federation just letting her skate off into the pro shows since just having her show up at Worlds guarantees them two spots for next year.

Vash01
08-18-2011, 04:20 PM
i like my period dramas, but to assume you are living in that era is bit too much. ;)

Apart from 1818 bit, i agree with everything else you say in the post.

LOL. I noticed that 1818, and thought it was funny. I too agree with that post.

Vash01
08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
^^^ ditto that. I hope she is finished...........she is too lovely, and her Oly performances were simply too brilliant to even attempt to compete with...........There is really nothing left to add!

I don't think she needs to make that decision (to retire right now). She can take a couple of years off, and just make sure she retains her eligibility. Then she can decide if she wants to come back.

About the Olympic performance, it was the best I have seen a lady champ skate in the Olympics, ever. However, that does not mean she cannot grow as a skater, even in the eligible ranks. Remember that Gordeeva-Grinkov's performance in the 1988 Olympics was brilliant, but when they came back in 1994, they were even better in some ways (though they had a couple of minor technical errors). They were a better pair in 1994 than in 1988. It could happen to Yu na, but if her heart is not in it right now, she should just take a break. There is plenty of time before the next Olympics.

Cheylana
08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
This would be a perfect time for YuNa to take off a season, recharge her batteries and see if she is hungry for more competition.

Dragonlady
08-18-2011, 05:08 PM
This would be a perfect time for YuNa to take off a season, recharge her batteries and see if she is hungry for more competition.

I thought that's what she was doing last season.

RumbleFish
08-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Here is my take on options Yuna Kim might consider.

1. Maintain the status quo
Keep on being dragged by her corporate sponsor, TV-stations, federation, and $peedy on to competitions once or twice a year.

She won't likely win at such competitions, since her federation does not have enough mileage to join the gold class membership of the ISU frequent buyer program, and her decent, but uninspiring skates will likely be beaten time and time again by run-down pick-up trucks like Ando. :scream:

Nonetheless, she will continuously be paid handsomely, approximately $10 million per annum, by her sponsors, TV-stations, and her groupies who will be willing to pack the arena to celebrate even her string of silver medals. She will rake in truck loads of money in a relatively short period of time, so good for her.

This will lead to a sad and anti-climactic ending to a career that started out so brilliantly. I had thought she and mummy Kim set up their own agency to prevent this sort of thing from happening, but observing their recent shows and TV appearances have me doubt my original expectations.

2. Retire from competitions and become a full time show skater
To do this, she will have to bring some serious substance to her show skating. I have never been a big fan of it, but her recent programs and performances in particular, has just not been up to the level of her competitive skating in my opinion.

Most of her over-zealous fans are not genuine fans of skating. They will likely disappear when their queen of the past doesn't bring them string of medals and make them somehow feel superior to others anymore. Once they realize that her sexy posing and pleading to nationalism fails to draw attention no longer, her sponsors and TV-stations will drop her like a stone as well.

She should have a long discussion with her choreographer and find something that is right for her before choosing this option.

3. Gather once again purpose of her skating and make another run
This will require a mindset of starting from zero all over again, and put her past fame and reputation at risk. It won't be easy either, as she will have to absolutely demolish all of her competition to win. History of 2008 and 2011 Worlds has shown that ISU won't give her close decisions.

Nevertheless, she is a phenomenally talented skater capable of brilliant skating when she really puts her mind into it. If she somehow finds the motivation, she could be head and shoulders above everyone else. Some say Sochi, but I would argue that 2018 PC isn't out of question.

She skated one of the most memorable performances in history in Vancouver, but if she brings "I will skate with my heart." fierce attitude circa Kwan at 98 US Nationals, topping her past isn't impossible.

Cheylana
08-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I thought that's what she was doing last season.
I mean, a season in which she doesn't bother with any competition, including Worlds. Even with her reduced schedule this past season, she still had to put together and train 2 programs.