PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

my little pony
11-11-2011, 01:04 PM
another problem for paterno is that in the grand jury report, the 1998 incident is what led him to force sandusky to retire. however, he gave him full access to the PSU facilities for his chairty work.

Meredith
11-11-2011, 01:24 PM
This (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/11/10/omelas-state-university/) from John Scalzi is one of the better commentaries I've read about what happened at Penn State.

Great article. Thanks! Amazing that some of those who commented were put off by the language.

Zemgirl
11-11-2011, 02:08 PM
So apparently, McQueary once stepped in to stop a knife fight (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html), but felt unable to do anything upon seeing a man much older than him raping a child. The mind boggles.

I think there's every chance that Penn State will become a second SMU - not because the NCAA necessarily will shut them down, but between the criminal proceedings, the US Department of Education investigation (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/education-department-investigating-penn-state/2011/11/09/gIQAcNse6M_blog.html), and the rumors of possibly even worse things happening than what's already been confirmed... I'm not sure that program can survive. I'm beginning to think that maybe it shouldn't. Certainly there's no comparison between NCAA rule violations and the reports coming out of Penn State.

This (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-10-2011/penn-state-riots) from John Stewart is spot on, as usual.

jeffisjeff
11-11-2011, 02:31 PM
another problem for paterno is that in the grand jury report, the 1998 incident is what led him to force sandusky to retire.

I suspected that was the case. I also read that Sandusky is no longer involved with / associated with the charity he founded. My immediate suspicion was the he was forced out due to some improper conduct which was found out and then covered up. That, however, is complete speculation on my part.

BigB08822
11-11-2011, 02:59 PM
the grand jury report is here: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/Presentment.pdf

sandusky also took in foster children

:yikes: Poor children. What a sick man, who seems to have gone out of his way to hurt these kids.

McQueary (not sure how to spell his name, seen it a few different ways) probably gets whistleblower protection because he did report what he saw to the University even if not the police. Does it only protect you when you report to the police? The University could also have their own whistleblower policy in place, which is my bet.

OrioleBeagle
11-11-2011, 03:01 PM
deleted

BigB08822
11-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I seriously doubt he would have ended his career by reporting a child being raped. This isn't like reporting NCAA infractions that happen in every college football program. This was a very serious crime that he witnessed. I am willing to bet there would have been plenty of schools happy to take him on if he lost his job for doing the right thing.

PDilemma
11-11-2011, 04:00 PM
S
This (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-10-2011/penn-state-riots) from John Stewart is spot on, as usual.

Thanks for the link. He is spot on.

A Nebraska sports columnist wrote a column published this morning about why the game should go on and actually had the idiocy to say this:

"They should play the game because, in the face of ungodliness and evil, you don't shut down something as pure as a college athletic contest."

He went on to make the strong implication that this had nothing to do with football.

I assume they just pulled him out of some media free cave and gave him a brief overview in which they mumbled the details and told him to go write. Because there is nothing pure about football at PSU right now. Penn State Football was the avenue that Sandusky used to get to these boys. It is about football. It is about football being more powerful at Penn State (and that is likely the case at many a Division I university--hell, it was the case at the tiny 150 student high school I taught at...) than anything else.

my little pony
11-11-2011, 04:49 PM
McQueary (not sure how to spell his name, seen it a few different ways) probably gets whistleblower protection because he did report what he saw to the University even if not the police. Does it only protect you when you report to the police? The University could also have their own whistleblower policy in place, which is my bet.

one of the people mcqueary ended up speaking to about the incident was schultz (pg 10 of the report) who oversaw the univ police as part of his job. schultz never reported it to the univ police. while i think that mcqueary could have done much more, i suppose it is reasonable to say that he thought reporting it to someone who oversaw univ police was sufficient.

however, there were local newclippings of mcqueary and sandusky appearing at the same events not long after the incident. imo, if i were mcq, i would have been very curious as to why no police came to talk to me or why sandusky wasnt arrested or at least questioned. so many grown men not following up on something that seems so black and white. and people wonder why kids dont report abuse. this boy in the shower knew someone saw and didnt help.

milanessa
11-11-2011, 05:06 PM
I get Sandusky's actions - he's a sick, twisted pervert who needs to be in jail. I get Paterno's actions - he reported what he was told and made himself believe that satisfied his responsibility - pass the buck upward kind of thing. Cowardly but okay, I understand how someone could talk themselves into that. I get Curley's and Schultz's actions - they were also passing the buck up and trying to save their programs and legacy - disgusting but I can see it. McQueary? How can you see something like that and not grab the closest club and beat the hell out of someone violating a child? There are not enough words.

snoopy
11-11-2011, 06:05 PM
and people wonder why kids dont report abuse. this boy in the shower knew someone saw and didnt help.

This is so. sad.

snoopy
11-11-2011, 06:09 PM
A Nebraska sports columnist wrote a column published this morning about why the game should go on and actually had the idiocy to say this:

"They should play the game because, in the face of ungodliness and evil, you don't shut down something as pure as a college athletic contest."

To me, this is such extreme selfishness on the part of this columnist. We can't be asked to give up something - something that just essentially makes us feel good, and nothing more - out of respect to another group of people. This person would have done nothing different than Paterno and his staff.

UMBS Go Blue
11-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Former Penn State players to attend Nebraska game in show of support for program; some donate to Sandusky's defense (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7220097/penn-state-nittany-lions-rally-program)

Sam Stellatella, a three-position player in the 1950s, has donated money to Sandusky's defense and urged other former players to do the same.

"I told him he's going to need a million dollars to defend himself," the 73-year-old Stellatella said. "He called me back and said, 'What am I going to do with this money?' I said, 'Use it for your lawyer because you're going to need it.' "

Stellatella sent Sandusky $100. He wrote personal letters to other members of the 1959 Liberty Bowl team that defeated a Bear Bryant-coached Alabama team and asked they also donate. He does not know how much money was raised.

"I know some of the guys sent money," Stellatella told The Associated Press. "Here's the thing, these are horrendous charges against him. But he's still entitled to his day in court. Everybody's prejudged him. He's done horrendous damage to Paterno and (athletic director Tim) Curley and the football program. I don't listen to the news and I don't read the reports of what he did because I would get too upset.

"But he's still entitled to his day in court."

That's a lone stance among a group of players who have been quick to distance themselves from Sandusky.

:eek:

Zemgirl
11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Former Penn State players to attend Nebraska game in show of support for program; some donate to Sandusky's defense (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7220097/penn-state-nittany-lions-rally-program):eek:
I can't even begin to imagine how someone might justify this to himself.

PDilemma
11-11-2011, 06:23 PM
To me, this is such extreme selfishness on the part of this columnist. We can't be asked to give up something - something that just essentially makes us feel good, and nothing more - out of respect to another group of people. This person would have done nothing different than Paterno and his staff.

Yeah. And I have to defend the state...everyone I know, including some hard core fans, is feeling extremely uncomfortable about even watching this game. And the comments on the website of that guy's paper are still leaning strongly to "we shouldn't play there". The whole column seriously reads as if he just heard about this vaguely yesterday afternoon and it couldn't possibly have anything to do with football. I guess he's just protecting his job...the sooner he can get back to bitching about Bo Pelini not winning any championships and not playing the QB he would choose, the better his job security. :rolleyes: