PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

PDilemma
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
I think it's obscene that McQueary gets to stay on as a coach. I realize he was a graduate assistant at the time, and that it was traumatic for him to see what he did. But it was considerably more traumatic for the child. McQueary was an adult who walked in on a child being sexually assaulted, and he did nothing at the time and very little afterward. That is inexcusable and he should be shown the door.

This (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/11/10/omelas-state-university/) from John Scalzi is one of the better commentaries I've read about what happened at Penn State.

Great link. Thanks.

As for McQueary, he was 28 years old. It is telling that in an MSNBC story his father is still referring to him as a "kid". He's not a kid now and he was not a kid when he saw Sandusky raping a child. But he's been able to hide behind the notion that he was a confused student.

It is interesting that McQueary grew up in State College, was a QB for Paterno, and knew Sandusky his whole life. He had as much reason as the rest to cover it all up and he participated in it. When you've witnessed a crime, you need to call the police. He should be fired as well.

Veronika
11-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Yes--someone who is 28 is not a kid. :huh:

I think this whole scandal is disgusting...there's not much more I can say. I think McQueary should be fired too.

BigB08822
11-10-2011, 07:55 PM
It makes no sense to fire Paterno but not McQueary. There is no excuse.

I could understand if McQueary had witnessed something more vague. Maybe he thought he saw Sandusky looking at a child while in the shower or maybe he thought he saw Sandusky touching himself while looking at one of the children. That might be one of those things where you are like "did I really see that or did I just catch him at the wrong time and it looked bad.." However, the reports are that he saw a child being RAPED. There can't be any confusion about what he saw if rape is what really happened. Any physical contact would send me right to the phone to call the police.

I do think it is a shame that Paterno is taking the brunt of all of this when Sandusky is almost forgotten. This morning I had to look up his name because all I was reading about was Paterno. Sandusky is almost getting away with it from the medias perspective.

PDilemma
11-10-2011, 08:32 PM
I do think it is a shame that Paterno is taking the brunt of all of this when Sandusky is almost forgotten. This morning I had to look up his name because all I was reading about was Paterno. Sandusky is almost getting away with it from the medias perspective.

The legal system is dealing with Sandusky. If there were no indictment and no charges filed against him as a result of the grand jury report, the story would be proceeding differently. But he has been charged. People are asking the university to do the right thing in regard to the complicity of its employees in covering up his actions. I don't have a problem with that.

julieann
11-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I think it's obscene that McQueary gets to stay on as a coach. I realize he was a graduate assistant at the time, and that it was traumatic for him to see what he did. But it was considerably more traumatic for the child. McQueary was an adult who walked in on a child being sexually assaulted, and he did nothing at the time and very little afterward. That is inexcusable and he should be shown the door.

This (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/11/10/omelas-state-university/) from John Scalzi is one of the better commentaries I've read about what happened at Penn State.

YES! I can't believe he will be on the sidelines of the game this weekend. He knew enough was wrong with what he saw to report it; but not to follow up...in 10 YEARS!!!???? Unbeliveable...every kid at that school who is calling for Joe to stay should have to go to sensitivity training as well, they obviously just don't get it.

Wyliefan
11-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Perfect title.

CDANN1013
11-11-2011, 02:10 AM
McCreary was asked by the board of trustees not to be one the side line Saturday.

Carol

Jot the Dot Dot
11-11-2011, 02:46 AM
You could not make this up: The title of Sandusky's autobiography? Touched! http://www.huliq.com/10061/jerry-sandusky-unfortunately-titled-autobiography-touched

skipaway
11-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Interesting viewpoint from the lawyer of some of Sandusky's victims.

Board should not have fired Paterno (http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201111/alleged-victims-lawyer-board-made-wrong-call-firing-paterno)

PDilemma
11-11-2011, 04:11 AM
Interesting viewpoint from the lawyer of some of Sandusky's victims.

Board should not have fired Paterno (http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201111/alleged-victims-lawyer-board-made-wrong-call-firing-paterno)

They would have preferred to watch him get a standing ovation from 110,000 irrational fans on national television and potentially be carried off the field like a hero?

I'm not buying it. PSU has to clean house. And if these victims are at all aware of what is being said outside of the bizarre bubble that is State College, PA, they are aware that the support of most of the nation and most college football fans is not with the people who covered up the crimes.

my little pony
11-11-2011, 04:18 AM
It makes no sense to fire Paterno but not McQueary. There is no excuse.

our former district attorney was on the news explaining that it had to do with whistle blower laws. mcqueary is protected by them but paterno isnt. if mcqueary was fired, he could sue penn state. *

*it was very early this morning, i am not a morning person. i did my best.

Lara
11-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Ugh. This certainly wouldn't have been a case anticipated when that law was made.

I've lived in PA for 7 years and didn't even have a clue how big Penn State football was till now, but it's just sad and sickening that this would be going on all this time. :(

BigB08822
11-11-2011, 07:49 AM
I found out today that all semester long I have had a class with Deangelo Peterson who is one of the stars on the LSU team. Apparently I am not good at recognizing football players without helmets an jerseys on. :lol: I have classes with lots of football players but most of them probably don't even get to play but Peterson is a name everyone knows.

Vagabond
11-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Whistleblower laws protect people from retaliation for reporting wrongdoing. They don't protect people from retaliation for not reporting wrongdoing.

There's probably more to the McQueary story than what we've been told so far.

my little pony
11-11-2011, 10:07 AM
the grand jury report is here: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/Presentment.pdf

sandusky also took in foster children