PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

KHenry14
11-10-2011, 05:24 AM
I follow a lot of sportswriters on Twitter, and every single one of them was appalled at the tone of the questions. Many of the local reporters were really trying to paint the University in a bad light, when any sane person outside of College Station PA knew that PSU HAD to fire that old man.

What Paterno should have done this afternoon was to say something along the lines "I failed the young men who were victimised. And for the good of the University, I've decided to step down, effective today" But he felt that he was the King of PSU, so he was going to pre-empt the Trustees and "retire". I bet that didn't go over to well in the Trustee's meeting however.

BigB08822
11-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Glad he got fired immediately.

A friend on FB just said "Paterno fired after 60 years of service, that's f*cked up." Oh really?? I thought not reporting child molestation was pretty f*cked up but clearly my priorities are not in order, his job is obviously much more important than those poor children's lives.

Really
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Unbelievable that people would riot against the university.

Meredith
11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I thought not reporting child molestation was pretty f*cked up but clearly my priorities are not in order, his job is obviously much more important than those poor children's lives.

Reporting? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of grown men who witness abuse and do not one damned thing to stop it right then.

figurefan
11-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Glad he got fired immediately.

A friend on FB just said "Paterno fired after 60 years of service, that's f*cked up." Oh really?? I thought not reporting child molestation was pretty f*cked up but clearly my priorities are not in order, his job is obviously much more important than those poor children's lives.

Just amazing...

Nothing like having a riot over someone who got fired for not reporting child sex abuse to the proper authorities. My husband and I both had insomnia last night & were watching this all unfold on ESPN. My husband paid for both of his daughters to get their Bachelor's degress. He said he would not only have been ashamed if his daughters were part of this mob but he would have quit paying for their college immediately. I have no doubt my late parents would have given me a good whack upside the head when I came home for holiday break.

Tesla
11-10-2011, 02:53 PM
This article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/11/10/joe.paterno.fired.penn.state/index.html?xid=cnnbin) gives an interesting view of the rioters:

Paterno's larger-than-life stature also is nominally why Penn State students took to the streets in protest Wednesday night, flipping a news van, throwing rocks, destroying property and generally causing chaos. Were all of them genuinely upset about the way a coaching legend was shown the door? Of course not. Many were bundles of raging hormones who went out to raise hell because that's what everyone else was doing. The dudes mugging for the CNN cameras gave that away.

I'm glad Paterno was fired. I agree with KHenry14. He should've stepped down on his own immediately. He seems more concerned with not being a football coach than having failed those poor children.

Aaron W
11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
It's disappointing that some of the Penn State students & alumni are upset over Paterno's firing. The notion that he's innocent simply because he didn't commit the sexual offences and reported it to his superiors is misguided. How is it that despite being told of the incident in the shower room, Paterno seemingly never questioned Sandusky's presence on campus over the following 10 years? Was Joe not concerned over the lack of any legal action against Sandusky? Did he believe the simple fact Sandusky was banned from bringing the kids in his program onto the Penn State campus was sufficient punishment for the alleged incident? I not only would have told my superiors about the incident, I would have informed the police. The seeming lack of concern displayed by Joe Paterno over the past 10 years is disappointing. His feeble reaction and lack of follow-up displays an immense lapse in judgement and brings into question his own character. Penn State is right to remove him as head coach.

Yazmeen
11-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Had dinner last night with a skatebuddy I hadn't seen in a while. She is a PSU graduate; however, I never knew until last night that she had worked as a intern for JoePa during her tenure there. In her words, if you were a player, administrator, or booster, he upheld his pristine folksy image with you. But for others in his path who had little influence, including lowly interns and especially female ones, he was a total nasty and condescending SOB. She didn't have one ounce of sympathy for him and was not at all surprised that he finally was brought down by his own ego even if she could not have ever imagined the circumstances.

What JoePa did was wrong, and he deserves what he got, regardless of his good works prior to this. OMG, the mind boggles, this was a TEN YEAR OLD who was abused, and everyone tried to sweep it under the rug. :(

PDilemma
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I follow a lot of sportswriters on Twitter, and every single one of them was appalled at the tone of the questions. Many of the local reporters were really trying to paint the University in a bad light, when any sane person outside of College Station PA knew that PSU HAD to fire that old man.

What Paterno should have done this afternoon was to say something along the lines "I failed the young men who were victimised. And for the good of the University, I've decided to step down, effective today" But he felt that he was the King of PSU, so he was going to pre-empt the Trustees and "retire". I bet that didn't go over to well in the Trustee's meeting however.

ESPN reported last night that there were (for no reason anyone explained) random students in the back of that room and some of the yelling and stupid questions came from them. Penn State has handled this all so badly. The trustees set them on the right path last night, finally, but they have a long road to clean up the mess.

I've seen people complaining about the fact that they called him rather than having him come to the meeting. My guess about that is that having an 84 year old man come to and from the campus in that volatile environment did not seem like a good idea in their minds. Nor did having anyone from their board get safely to and from his house. They did what they had to do.

A lot of people around here feel like Nebraska should not even show up to play them on Saturday. This is bigger than football and many of our fans don't want to be part of any celebratory or just regular game day atmosphere on that campus. It is going to be a very strange day.

rfisher
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
And the University will forfeit the game and lose a ton of money.

PDilemma
11-10-2011, 04:41 PM
And the University will forfeit the game and lose a ton of money.

The university has stated that we will go and play. The rationale stated was that the PSU players are not responsible for this. Although, there are reports that our athletic department is asking PSU and the Big Ten about security as State College has the potential to be a volatile environment.

Honestly, Nebraska football is not hurting for money. Only institution in the state that isn't. Dan Whitney (aka Larry the Cable Guy) and a few alums in the NFL and MLB could and might make up the money they'd lose by not playing. We paid out the Big 12 without missing a beat and I suspect some of those people helped with that.

But the discomfort with playing the game is coming from fans--I'm hearing it from friends and family, my mother-in-law said it is the consensus in the coffeehouse and it is all over the message boards, newspaper comments, etc...Fans who have tickets are not comfortable going there because of the sense of endorsing the institution and because of the violence last night. This is a football crazy state and the number of people saying they are not comfortable even watching this game astounds me. One is a relative who has an entire Husker memorabilia room in his house.

Tesla
11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
A lot of people around here feel like Nebraska should not even show up to play them on Saturday. This is bigger than football and many of our fans don't want to be part of any celebratory or just regular game day atmosphere on that campus. It is going to be a very strange day.

I get the sentiment, but that isn't fair to the students of either team who had nothing to do with the situation. It will certainly be a very odd atmosphere.

Aaron W
11-10-2011, 04:56 PM
^^ It'll definitely be an odd atmosphere, but I also agree the student athletes at Penn State and Nebraska deserve the opportunity to compete against each other, regardless of the actions/inactions of others at Penn State.

PDilemma
11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I get the sentiment, but that isn't fair to the students of either team who had nothing to do with the situation. It will certainly be a very odd atmosphere.

It isn't fair to them. But this is also way beyond football. And we need to get hold of that. There are things more important than games. The students chanting "one more game" certainly didn't get that. As an Omaha reporter said this morning "College football is not bigger than life".

And the violence last night made it clear that our team, coaches, fans, media may not be safe in State College. It just broke that our Regents are asking for a security plan--rumor before had been that the AD was concerned, but now our board is involved.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111110/NEWS01/711109839#regent-wants-security-plan-at-penn-state

Zemgirl
11-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I think it's obscene that McQueary gets to stay on as a coach. I realize he was a graduate assistant at the time, and that it was traumatic for him to see what he did. But it was considerably more traumatic for the child. McQueary was an adult who walked in on a child being sexually assaulted, and he did nothing at the time and very little afterward. That is inexcusable and he should be shown the door.

This (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/11/10/omelas-state-university/) from John Scalzi is one of the better commentaries I've read about what happened at Penn State.