PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

CaptCrunch
10-08-2011, 01:58 PM
In a few hours week 6 will be upon us (well OK it really started Thursday :)). Here's a look at today's top games:

Florida @ LSU - By the end of the month the Gators will probably be exposed as a fraud and will be unranked. LSU wins easy with their great defense.

Oklahoma vs Texas (in Dallas) - Texas has won 4 of the last 6 in this series but they won't win today. Oklahoma is too strong. The Sooners by 2 touchdowns.

Michigan @ Northwestern - Michigan's first road game after 5 straight home games against mediocre competition. Persa is back and will be a real test for Michigan's unproven defense. Upset special: NW to win!

Auburn @ Arkansas - Very interesting match-up against 2 teams that both are probably just a little overrated. I don't think either is a top 15 team. Tough call but I'll go with Auburn.

Georgia @ Tennessee - important SEC East match-up. The winner stays alive in the division race the loser probably packs it in for the season. Georgia is the better team IMO they get the win.

Ohio State @ Nebraska - 2 teams coming off complete debacles last week. Nebraska is over-rated but its obvious the Buckeyes are done for this year. Stick a fork in em, the Cornhuskers win easy.

BigB08822
10-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Heading to LSU in a little while for the Florida game. Hoping to gator chomp in some Florida fans faces!

NancyNC
10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I plan to have a big juicy hamburger tonight, made from some nice fresh Bevo. It's always a good day when you can hang half a hundred on the Shorthorns. Go Sooners! :D

BigB08822
10-09-2011, 01:58 AM
LSU killed Florida. That was NOT the same Florida team I have come to expect to see. Hope they can turn things around soon.

HeatherC
10-09-2011, 02:08 AM
I admit its still early in the game but someone forgot to tell the Buckeyes that they suck...they're up 17-3 right now, LOL :rofl: :cheer:

Grannyfan
10-09-2011, 02:43 AM
I plan to have a big juicy hamburger tonight, made from some nice fresh Bevo. It's always a good day when you can hang half a hundred on the Shorthorns. Go Sooners! :D

My second favorite team is whoever plays Texas. Heard way too much "Eyes of Texas" back in the old Southwest Conference days.

rfisher
10-09-2011, 03:03 AM
My second favorite team is whoever plays Texas. Heard way too much "Eyes of Texas" back in the old Southwest Conference days.

:rofl: I was just thinking of "Short Squat Texan" a while ago. The Hogs need one more TD to put Auburn away.

CaptCrunch, as a personal favor, please bet against the Hogs again next week. KThanks. :)

Make that week after next. Although they should have fairly easy games up to SC and LSU.

BigB08822
10-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Nebraska trying to make a comeback. Got it to within 7 but Ohio is marching back down the field.

ETA: Nebraska did it! 34-27! Great comeback.

HeatherC
10-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Nebraska trying to make a comeback. Got it to within 7 but Ohio is marching back down the field.

ETA: Nebraska did it! 34-27! Great comeback.

Not really. tOSU gave up. So disappointing. They let the Braxton injury totally unravel them. :fragile: :(

UMBS Go Blue
10-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Michigan @ Northwestern - Michigan's first road game after 5 straight home games against mediocre competition. Persa is back and will be a real test for Michigan's unproven defense. Upset special: NW to win! Eat your crow. :P Michigan was down 24-14 at the half but rallied back in the 2nd half with 28 unanswered points, with (some) good moments at defense sprinkled here and there. :P

That having been said, I think a #12 ranking is a bit much this early in the season and I wouldn't be surprised to see Michigan lose a supposedly easy game down the road. Still, it looks like a good rebuilding season under a new coach so far. :)

Theatregirl1122
10-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Eat your crow. :P Michigan was down 24-14 at the half but rallied back in the 2nd half with 28 unanswered points, with (some) good moments at defense sprinkled here and there. :P

That having been said, I think a #12 ranking is a bit much this early in the season and I wouldn't be surprised to see Michigan lose a supposedly easy game down the road. Still, it looks like a good rebuilding season under a new coach so far. :)

:cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: Go Blue! Yeah, watching Michigan, I don't feel like we are quite as good as our record. The defense is somehow managing to do pretty well, but they are driving me insane. But they are pretty solid over all and they are bowl eligible already!

PDilemma
10-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Not really. tOSU gave up. So disappointing. They let the Braxton injury totally unravel them. :fragile: :(

That is an easy justification. But the spark for the NU comeback was when David stripped the ball from him at seven and a half minutes in the third, not when he went out of the game on the next series. And even the OSU coaches said after the game that NU tweaked the offense set just enough that the defense couldn't adjust in the second half.

OSU's offense is in trouble if it is as dependent on Braxton Miller as it was for three quarters last night. Football can't be a one man show because the man might get hurt.

BTW....I was born just outside of Columbus. We left for Nebraska when I was not quite two, but my entire paternal extended family still lives in Southeast Ohio. This was the very first time in my life I didn't root for OSU in a football game. It was very odd!

BigB08822
10-09-2011, 06:58 PM

That sounds like sour grapes. Nebraska played very well. It wasn't just Ohio giving it away. Nebraska began playing defense and their quarterback began making big plays.

rfisher
10-09-2011, 07:13 PM
That would be like somebody saying Auburn gave the game to AR. That would be pretending Tyler Wilson couldn't throw the football or the running backs couldn't run. If AR could mount a strong defense, they'd be national title contenders. Sigh. We never have both components at the same time. Oh, well. Petrino is earning his 4 mil and his job is safe for a while.

CaptCrunch
10-15-2011, 11:35 AM
A quick look at the top games for week 7.

Okla St @ Texas - Texas was destroyed by Oklahoma last week and it won't get any easier vs Okla State on Saturday. Okie St is thinking BCS bowl game right now, Texas is headed to an 8-4 season which is better then last year's 5-7 mark. OSU rolls.

Arizona St @ Oregon - possible preview of the new Pac-12 championship game which we'll see for the first time this year. ASU is a solid bet to make it there but Oregon has to go thru Stanford first since they play in the same division. Even without LaMichael James Oregon is the better team. They win this one at home where coach Chip Kelly has never lost.

Florida @ Auburn - Both teams 4-2 and coming off disappointing losses last week. I don't think Florida will win the weaker SEC East and by year's end they might well be a 6-6 team. Auburn wins at home.

Michigan @ Michigan State - Huge game in division play for these 2 hated rivals. Michigan's vaunted offense vs Michigan State's #1 defense. Under Dantonio MSU has owned Michigan winning 3 straight. No UM coach has ever won his first game against Michigan State since 1948. That could change today in what looks to be a very even match-up. This one might go down to the wire. I'll take the home team, MSU wins 28-24.

Ohio State @ Illinois - Ohio State should have won last week but didn't and that's a perfect indicator of how their season is going to play out this year. Illinois is very good and their 6-0 record, with a good win over ASU, is no fluke. Illini by 10.

Baylor @ Texas A&M - A&M probably saved their season last week with a tough win in Lubbock over rival Texas Tech. Love Baylor's qb but they probably don't have enough other horses to win in College Station. A&M by 7.