PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

CaptCrunch
10-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Time for week 5 picks. I was shocked to see LSU take over the #1 spot this week from Oklahoma. Didn't see anything wrong with it just surprised me. As BigB08822 has said its always good to see movement in the polls. Things should shift based on how the teams play every week. Personally I'd have kept OU #1 but....its very very close.

As for today's games:

Clemson @ Va Tech - Clemson goes on the road after 2 big home wins over Auburn and FSU. Time for Clemson to come back down to earth. Va Tech has lots of experience playing in games just like this. The Hokies win at home.

Nebraska @ Wisconsin -Nebraska gets a rude welcome to Big 10 play. The Badgers are definitely the best team in the conference right now. This could be a preview of the 1st Big 10 championship game but it also might not be. ;) Wisconsin steamrolls the Cornhuskers.

Alabama @ Florida - We know Alabama is a great team, the month of October will tell us if Florida is a fraud or not. Alabama has handled Florida easily in their last few meetings. The Tide rolls again tonight.

Texas A&M vs Arkansas (in Dallas) - very interesting match-up of 2 teams coming off of a loss. Arkansas won last year, A&M will win this year.

Michigan State @ Ohio State - OSU has beaten MSU 7 straight times but this is not your typical OSU team. MSU has a weak offensive line but MSU definitely has the better QB. Ohio State ain't gonna win more than 7 or 8 games this year. MSU by a sliver 17-16.

Northwestern @ Illinois - Remember last year's game in Wrigley Field. Oh the memories. Illinois is 4-0 but NW is prime for an upset especially if Persa plays ? Northwestern in an upset.

rfisher
10-01-2011, 03:59 PM
:lynch:

I am rooting for Arkansas! So you can switch to rooting for LSU.

Humph. Lot of help you were. :drama: But, AR made a lot of mistakes last week. I think they were a little cocky coming off three easy wins. I had plans to go shopping today, but ESPN has picked up the AR-Aggie game so I guess I'll be home this afternoon instead.

PDilemma
10-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Time for week 5 picks. I was shocked to see LSU take over the #1 spot this week from Oklahoma. Didn't see anything wrong with it just surprised me. As BigB08822 has said its always good to see movement in the polls. Things should shift based on how the teams play every week. Personally I'd have kept OU #1 but....its very very close.

As for today's games:

Clemson @ Va Tech - Clemson goes on the road after 2 big home wins over Auburn and FSU. Time for Clemson to come back down to earth. Va Tech has lots of experience playing in games just like this. The Hokies win at home.

Nebraska @ Wisconsin -Nebraska gets a rude welcome to Big 10 play. The Badgers are definitely the best team in the conference right now. This could be a preview of the 1st Big 10 championship game but it also might not be. ;) Wisconsin steamrolls the Cornhuskers.

Alabama @ Florida - We know Alabama is a great team, the month of October will tell us if Florida is a fraud or not. Alabama has handled Florida easily in their last few meetings. The Tide rolls again tonight.

Texas A&M vs Arkansas (in Dallas) - very interesting match-up of 2 teams coming off of a loss. Arkansas won last year, A&M will win this year.

Michigan State @ Ohio State - OSU has beaten MSU 7 straight times but this is not your typical OSU team. MSU has a weak offensive line but MSU definitely has the better QB. Ohio State ain't gonna win more than 7 or 8 games this year. MSU by a sliver 17-16.

Northwestern @ Illinois - Remember last year's game in Wrigley Field. Oh the memories. Illinois is 4-0 but NW is prime for an upset especially if Persa plays ? Northwestern in an upset.

I won first place-- $50-- making picks last week in a local newspaper contest. :D

I think OSU takes MSU. Home field advantage.

rfisher
10-01-2011, 08:47 PM
WOO PIG SOOOOOOIEEEE!!!!!! I have a hole worn in the carpet from pacing.

BigB08822
10-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Just got home from the LSU game. Beautiful weather for a day game but my ears and the back of my neck feel burnt. LSU didn't play their best but the defense was insane. Kentucky couldn't score until their last drive and never got a 1st down in the first quarter. Jefferson played a few times but never threw the ball.

Theatregirl1122
10-01-2011, 10:29 PM
So... Minnesota is not so good at football, huh? 58-0 Michigan.

PDilemma
10-01-2011, 10:50 PM
So... Minnesota is not so good at football, huh? 58-0 Michigan.

They have a beautiful very new stadium for all of that losing. Saw U2 there in July and thought it was fantastic. Felt bad for them that they lose so much in it! :lol:

Beefcake
10-02-2011, 03:57 AM
:eek: Wisky is pulverizing Nebraska. I knew that the Badgers were the best of the so-so Big 10 this year, but this game is revealing them to be miles above the rest of the conference.

:kickass: Congratulations on your undefeated season, and Big 10 championship, Wisconsin! :kickass:

Well, I guess they could [cough longshot cough] lose to Michigan in the B10 Championship game if Robinson is on fire. But no way do they lose a regular season game with the prowess they've shown today, and with that schedule. (The formerly imposing @ Ohio State match-up is suddenly looking like a laugher. I mean, :o OSU was 10 seconds from being shut out!)

:watch: I wonder how much carnage it will take above the Badgers to get the team to the BCS Championship game? An undefeated Wisky should hop :rolleyes: Boise, and others will have to play each other. So ... could be interesting.

BigB08822
10-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Florida had a shot but Bama ran away with this. Florida had plenty of chances in the 3rd quarter with the way they held Bama to no score in that quarter but then Florida couldn't do anything with their freshman QB in after the regular QB got hurt.

Bama is looking mighty good. I hope Bama and LSU go into their game undefeated because it is going to be a huge game. LSUs defense would hopefully will not allow Bama to roll over them like this so LSU will need to step it up on offense and score every chance they get. The good news for LSU is, barring injury, we should have use of both Jefferson (who can run the ball like crazy) and Lee (who, except for today, has been throwing really well).

Bama is so physical. They get an extra 5 yards every single run when they should have been stopped much further back. I wonder if this is a remark on Florida's defense or just the absolutely brute strength of the line of Bama? Maybe a combination of both? I know LSU is insanely physical so hopefully we can keep them from always pushing an extra few yards.

Beefcake
10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Yep, Brian, we were both onto something ... Big poll moves for Alabama and Wisconsin.

Southeastern Conference rivals LSU and Alabama held the top two spots in The Associated Press college football poll after the Crimson Tide jumped past No. 3 Oklahoma and into second.

Alabama's rise gives the SEC the top two teams in the country for the 10th time in the last four seasons.

The Tide beat Florida 38-10 on Saturday night in Gainesville, then received 12 first-place votes in the media rankings released Sunday.

LSU remained No. 1 for a second straight week, receiving 40 first-place votes and 1,473 points. Alabama had 1,435.

Oklahoma, which started the season No. 1 before slipping last week, got seven first-place votes.

Wisconsin also moved up after a big victory, jumping three spots to No. 4 after a 48-17 win against Nebraska.
Lots of football left to play, and big games down the pike could help or hurt any of the top teams ... but I'm in agreement with both moves. Oklahoma has just beaten a Florida State team that was hilariously :rofl: and :confused: dumbfoundingly ranked #5 coming off of a 7-6 season. Meanwhile, Bama is proving to be a bear of a team.

PDilemma
10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
:eek: Wisky is pulverizing Nebraska. I knew that the Badgers were the best of the so-so Big 10 this year, but this game is revealing them to be miles above the rest of the conference.

:kickass: Congratulations on your undefeated season, and Big 10 championship, Wisconsin! :kickass:

Well, I guess they could [cough longshot cough] lose to Michigan in the B10 Championship game if Robinson is on fire. But no way do they lose a regular season game with the prowess they've shown today, and with that schedule. (The formerly imposing @ Ohio State match-up is suddenly looking like a laugher. I mean, :o OSU was 10 seconds from being shut out!)

:watch: I wonder how much carnage it will take above the Badgers to get the team to the BCS Championship game? An undefeated Wisky should hop :rolleyes: Boise, and others will have to play each other. So ... could be interesting.

I wouldn't be certain of that so soon. Lots of things can change. Injuries and upsets happen all the time.

And Nebraska was extremely overrated prior to last night. Most fans strongly believed we didn't belong in the top ten, and this state bleeds Husker Red. We are in the process of changing our offense back from the Callahan era disaster to our more traditional option, and there is a huge learning curve there. And we just came out of the Big 12 where we defended mostly spread offenses and have a huge learning curve on defense in the conference transition. Our team is also pretty young on both sides of the ball.

Those are all reasons we didn't belong in the top ten in the first place and that win may not have been as impressive as Badger fans feel like it is.

Beefcake
10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Point taken, but Wisky's remaining schedule is much more the factor for an undefeated season " than Nebraska's place in the world (being merely Top 25 versus Top 10).

:P So who among this cuddly bunch is going to knock the Badgers off?

Oct 15 Indiana
Oct 22 @Michigan St.
Oct 29 @Ohio St.
Nov 5 Purdue
Nov 12 @Minnesota
Nov 19 @Illinois
Nov 26 Penn St.

Spartans? Perhaps, as it's in EL. OSU? Maybe the team recovers enough to challenge. But Wisconsin is a heavy favorite to go undefeated.

PDilemma
10-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Point taken, but Wisky's remaining schedule is much more the factor for an undefeated season " than Nebraska's place in the world (being merely Top 25 versus Top 10).

:P So who among this cuddly bunch is going to knock the Badgers off?

Oct 15 Indiana
Oct 22 @Michigan St.
Oct 29 @Ohio St.
Nov 5 Purdue
Nov 12 @Minnesota
Nov 19 @Illinois
Nov 26 Penn St.

Spartans? Perhaps, as it's in EL. OSU? Maybe the team recovers enough to challenge. But Wisconsin is a heavy favorite to go undefeated.

At the risk of expulsion from the state, I'm not even convinced we should be top 25. The team is too young and in too much transition.

I wouldn't underestimate Ohio State or Michigan State. And this all depends on Wilson staying 100%. We were getting to him; we just couldn't get him. That means that your O-Line may not be able to protect your #2 QB. Plus, our secondary sucks. In fact, they may be a bit beyond suckage. Fresno State's QB threw like a Heisman contender against us. In total, five opponents have racked up over 1000 passing yards against us. Wilson might not have such fun passing against a team with a better secondary--not that I know right now what those units look like on the rest of the Wisc. schedule--but I'm just saying.

Grannyfan
10-03-2011, 02:10 AM
WOO PIG SOOOOOOIEEEE!!!!!! I have a hole worn in the carpet from pacing.

Tyler Wilson is tough. I don't think the game would have had the same ending with Ryan Mallett.

CaptCrunch
10-08-2011, 01:44 PM
While I agree that its still way too early to be giving Wisconsin anything they have looked great so far. I think their biggest challenge will probably be in the new Big 10 conference championship game especially if they are undefeated at that point. They will probably be a heavy favorite and will have a lot to lose. All the pressure in that game will be on them not their opponent.