PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

PDilemma
09-17-2011, 07:39 PM
What do you mean? LSU beat Oklahoma to win in 2003 at the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

It was the 2002 season, but the OSU-Miami game was played in January, 2003. Maybe that's where the date confusion has happened?

As for this year's Big Ten....if Nebraska continues to sputter on offense except for a few big plays and not perform to potential on defense as they did last week, I don't see them in the title game. In fact, some fans may end up missing the patsies of the Big 12 North by season's end.

Yehudi
09-17-2011, 09:59 PM
BC sucks. Thats all I gotta say

Theatregirl1122
09-18-2011, 01:55 AM
No discussion of the big conference realignment rumors of the day? Syracuse and Pitt have applied to the ACC. From what we've heard, they wouldn't have applied if they didn't know the answer was yes.

rfisher
09-18-2011, 04:03 AM
The Hogs won, but it was a good thing Troy wasn't that good because we gave them a lot of chances. Razorback offense against Crimson Tide defense next week at Tuscaloosa. I'm afraid to watch.

BigB08822
09-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Is it just me or have their been far fewer early season upsets than in seasons past? I'm used to at least one big team going down every week but not so far...(of course, #5 lost but they played #1)

OlieRow
09-18-2011, 03:43 PM
No discussion of the big conference realignment rumors of the day? Syracuse and Pitt have applied to the ACC. From what we've heard, they wouldn't have applied if they didn't know the answer was yes.

Undecided. It definitely reinforces that the ACC is a basketball conference and I think it'd help stabilize the ACC in the event that 1 or 2 teams bolt but I guess I'm old school and like the idea of smaller, more geographically linked conferences. I know these decisions are made on $$$/football/basketball, but I can't help but think about rowing too. Adding Syracuse gives 7 teams and means that if one of the other rowing schools leaves then there's still 6 which is the minimum # needed for an automatic bid to NCAAs. Of course if Clemson happens to leave, I'm less concerned with what the ACC has... In terms of lacrosse, the ACC men would be even deeper - UVA, Duke, UNC, plus Syracuse?!

This puts the ACC at 14 teams. If they added 2 more to get to the magic 16, I think they'd probably go with "northern tier" schools - from a collapsing Big East?? The ESPN article mentioned UConn and Rutgers as possibilities. Although it also mentioned Texas which I can't really see happening, but could be an interesting idea.

The new $20mil buyout from the ACC makes it hard for me to see teams leaving. I know Clemson was mentioned in some of the SEC rumors but I don't see the athletic department having that kind of cash to throw around. I'd make some tongue in cheek comment about having to pay so much to buy out Bowden's contract (that should have never been re-upped) that we didn't have enough to hire a head coach with any experience, but I apologized through the TV to Dabo Swinney yesterday so I'll refrain. :lol: He was adorable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72qHHdCeMY) after the win yesterday - which was probably the biggest win for Clemson football in several years with the national audience and it being against the defending champs (albeit a very different team from a year ago).

PDilemma
09-18-2011, 06:39 PM
I can't believe any conference would want Texas. Don't let them fool you, the impending demise of the Big 12 is at their feet. They will derail any move by any conference they are in if it does not directly benefit them more than the conference itself. It would be best if they were just left to play intra-squad games on the Longhorn Network.

BigB08822
09-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Texas can go sit in a corner all by themselves for all I care. Can't stand them.

LSU back up to #2. I actually like what I have seen this year with Bama and LSU having been switching spots. It more accurately reflects what teams they played instead of the mentality that no one moves down without losing first. Although, I do disagree with Boise St. having received two #1 votes. Do they even play a ranked team besides TCU later on? Their schedule is so weak. 3 weeks in and LSU has beaten #3 and #25 with games against Bama, Arkansas, and West Virginia still to come and I am not mentioning all of them.

numbers123
09-18-2011, 07:14 PM
deleted

CaptCrunch
09-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Week 4 is now upon us. Let's take a look at this week's best match-ups.

LSU @ West Virginia - LSU is to be applauded for their Sept schedule. Oregon, Miss St, and and WVU! Tough game but LSU's defense should be enough to get the win for them.

FSU @ Clemson - Another loss and FSU could be reeling. Always tough to win in Death Valley. FSU in a close one.

Oklahoma St @ Texas A&M - Best match-up of the day. 2 top 10 teams. Last year OSU won 38-35. Texas A&M gets revenge at home.

San Diego St @ Michigan - Michigan coach Brady Hoke coached SDST the last few years so he knows them well. Michigan's rush defense is poor. Two 3-0 teams, could be close but Michigan wins at home.

USC @ Arizona State - USC is probably not as good as their 3-0 record might suggest. ASU needs this one badly after losing last week at Illinois. ASU wins by 7.

Arkansas @ Alabama - Arkansas should have won last year at home. Nick Saban will have his troops ready for this one. Alabama continues on undefeated.

BigB08822
09-24-2011, 05:53 PM
West Virginia will have to beat LSU by passing the ball. This gets tougher and tougher as the game goes on because LSUs defense begins wearing everyone down. Of course, I am assuming LSUs defense is on top of their game. If LSU plays their type of game then I see them winning 21-14, or somewhere in there. The trick for WVU to win will be to strike early and score at least two touchdowns in the 1st quarter. IMO.

rfisher
09-24-2011, 06:07 PM
I promised all my co-workers I'd root for WVU if they rooted for AR. :shuffle:

BigB08822
09-24-2011, 06:48 PM
I promised all my co-workers I'd root for WVU if they rooted for AR. :shuffle:

:lynch:

I am rooting for Arkansas! So you can switch to rooting for LSU.

BigB08822
09-25-2011, 07:02 PM
After another big win on the road, LSU moves to #1 in the AP poll. Hopefully the guys forget about the ranking and just continue to focus on each game. If we do our job then the entire season should come down to our game at Bama. They just need to not look ahead, focus first on the game we have next week.

BigB08822
09-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Jordan Jefferson has been allowed back on the team for LSU. Trust me, the LSU community is not thrilled about this. It isn't that we think he should be out, the entire "scandal" was ridiculous to begin with but I won't even get into all of that. It is just that Lee has done so well and Jefferson had one really good game last year in the bowl game. It took him all season to find his stride and many of LSUs wins came down to lots of luck! I don't like the idea of him strolling into a game mid season, especially when he hasn't been able to practice with the team for a while. I hope Lee still plays this weekend against Kentucky and that Jefferson is forced to prove he deserves the starting spot. Maybe this can work in our favor and Jefferson will be working his butt off to get in the game in time for Bama and we will have two great QBs to rely on. Jefferson can run the ball unlike Lee so he is certainly useful but Lee has really controlled the ball in the air this year, Jefferson will throw turnovers like mad when he is not having a good day, plus he gets confused easily. Miles can always use the strategy that he used to use which was to switch them out constantly. Let Lee throw the ball and let Jefferson hand it off or run it himself. The problem with that is you are showing WAY too much of your hand to the defense. With only Lee in the game, they don't know what to expect. When he subs in for Jefferson, they can say with 90% certainty that he will throw it.