PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]

BigB08822
01-12-2012, 10:42 PM
A 4 team playoff is the way to go. It isn't perfect by any means but at least 2 additional teams have a chance to win the title. The most important thing that needs to be done is to eliminate the coaches poll from the BCS standings. Why do CURRENT coaches get such a huge say in the rankings when the rankings directly determine who plays for the National Title? It makes absolutely no sense. I would say eliminate ALL polls but the coaches poll has to go if any of them do. Preferably eliminate all polls and come up with a computer ranking only. Let everyone come up with the way it is computed. Strength of schedule, who you lost to, rankings on offense and defense, etc could all be used.

zippy
01-13-2012, 06:37 PM
redonthehead, even if LSU won, Bama fans would think they really won but they just beat themselves and would find some newspaper that calls them the champs and they would claim another false NT. Bama fans are the worst in the country and that has become very apparent this year from the message boards I post on. The Bama players are amazing, though, and Saban is clearly a great coach.

Meh. Honestly, I'd stay off those message boards or at least not judge a whole fan base that way. Everybody thinks their biggest rival's fan base is the worst in the country. Sure, the Alabama-Auburn rivalry is over the top crazy and has been for decades, but the Bama and LSU fans (the ones attending the games, at least) have generally been having good fun this year, with an attitude of mutual respect for the two teams. I was in Tuscaloosa on Nov. 5 and everyone had a blast before and after the game. For both games, fans of the losing team have said that the fans of the winning team were gracious in victory. Shrug.

On a different note, I've been really sad at how some LSU players have been villified after this game on the internets, especially Jordan Jefferson. The kid was just doing what his coach said to do. It's not like he played the way he did to personally insult the fans or something. I know some people who had great tickets in the Dome and they said the hitting was so hard that any QB would have been rattled. Putting in Lee was probably worth a try, but I doubt it would have helped. That was one prepared Alabama team and they were ready for Lee too. Maybe Drew Brees could have gotten something done, or maybe not.

redonthehead
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
That was one prepared Alabama team and they were ready for Lee too. Maybe Drew Brees could have gotten something done, or maybe not.

Several different groups of friends went to the game last week. They went in on Friday/Saturday and they said that you saw the LSU team members all over the streets of NO. But that you didn't see the Bama ones anywhere but in the hotel(one group stayed in the same hotel). They said that when they left the hotel for the dome that they all stared straight ahead and were so focused that even when people were calling out to them that they didn't acknowledge them. So yeah, Bama was prepared and focused. They went to win and they did!

It's kinda cool that the crystal ball is in the state of Alabama again for the 3rd year in a row. Even if it's in T-town again ;)

BigB08822
01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
The players are not allowed to go walking the streets. They go to practice and get to go get dinner but that is usually done in large groups. They either saw them on the way to get food or they just saw some really big men who they assumed were players. Maybe they aren't as strict on the players who they know will never play, as well. I seriously doubt they saw any starters out on the streets.

numbers123
01-15-2012, 08:23 PM
The ratings for the BCS title game was the lowest it has been in years. The other really low ratings games also included a team that did not win their Conference. The fans clearly do not approve of teams getting to the title game without winning their conference. I still think the two best teams played so the BCS did its job but it would be much better to have a +1 in place, IMO.

In my opinion, what hurt the BSC title game was the length of time between the New Year football bowl blitz and the actual game. If I hadn't been reminded of it on the day of the game, I might have forgotten to watch. Plus it was on a week night, not a weekend.

Not so much who was playing but when it was played. With all the mid/lower level bowls starting before Christmas and the larger bowls ending a week after New Year's is too much. And the media calling the rose bowl the Granddaddy of them all as if it is the only bowl game that counts. So the title game, unless played at the Rose Bowl will lose it's casual viewership.

zippy
01-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Several different groups of friends went to the game last week. They went in on Friday/Saturday and they said that you saw the LSU team members all over the streets of NO. But that you didn't see the Bama ones anywhere but in the hotel(one group stayed in the same hotel). They said that when they left the hotel for the dome that they all stared straight ahead and were so focused that even when people were calling out to them that they didn't acknowledge them. So yeah, Bama was prepared and focused. They went to win and they did!

It's kinda cool that the crystal ball is in the state of Alabama again for the 3rd year in a row. Even if it's in T-town again ;)

Hmm, interesting. I did see some Saban quote in the paper last week that the team had been given a 1 am curfew while they were in nola, and he said they were allowed to have fun as long as they remembered they had a responsibility to each other and to "stay hydrated" (code for don't get drunk?). In hindsight it's crazy how relaxed Saban was before the game - he even showed a hint of personality :lol:. Must've known something we didn't. I just wonder what kind of voodoo hypnosis techniques the man's got up his sleeve to get his entire team in the zone like that (and can it be bottled?). I know a lot of people found the game boring but I thought watching that kind of commitment and confidence was very dramatic. Great for the state of AL - roll tide and war eagle! :D