PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

PrincessLeppard
11-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Yes, but their strength of schedule is the 3rd lowest in all of college football. That is why no one even mentions them in the BCS title talk even though everyone is losing left and right. I think all teams would need 3 losses before Houston could get into the title game. Why don't they start trying to play some better teams? Sure, they may lose but they have to be tired of winning all their games every year and getting nothing but a whooping in their bowl game for it.

I dunno. I don't really follow college football. I just noticed they were 10-0 and thought it was kind of cool.

I've heard they are trying to join a different conference, though, so maybe that will make a difference.

Grannyfan
11-20-2011, 02:20 PM
I'll have the LSU/Arkansas game on in one room while I watch skating in another. I can't watch the Hogs play. I'll be yelling too much. I have to sneak in and check the score every so often. IF Arkansas beats LSU which beat Alabama which beat Arkansas, what a mess we will have. But, :cheer2: SEC :cheer2:

But, the game is in Baton Rouge.

It's crazy here. Arkansas was full of Iowa State, Baylor and USC fans this weekend. Still, it will be hard to beat LSU, especially in Baton Rouge. I have lots of family that will be driving down for the game. Hope they make it out alive. :)

BigB08822
11-21-2011, 02:21 AM
BCS Standings:
1. LSU
2. Bama
3. Arkansas
4. Ok State

The others are available on espn.com but I point out these 4 for a reason.

Let us assume (haha) that LSU, Bama and Ok. State win out. LSU is in the SEC title game therefore Bama sits out a week. LSU and Ok State win huge games against ranked opponents. Ok State is currently #2 in the computer rankings but around #6 in the human polls. They would obviously have a shot to move up just because Arkansas will lose. Then with Bama sitting at home and with Ok State beating a top 10 Oklahoma, I fully expect the human polls to vault Ok State above Bama if not one spot behind them. That could very well be enough, combined with their computer rankings, to sneak away #2 from a non playing Bama during Conference Championship week. LSU went from #7 to #2 back in 2007, so #6 to #2 is not that big of a stretch.

rfisher
11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
And what happens if the Hogs win? :saint:

BigB08822
11-21-2011, 04:16 PM

All hell breaks loose.

Grannyfan
11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
:

:D:D:D

PDilemma
11-21-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm rooting for that. There needs to be a playoff and the more frequently all hell breaks loose with no undefeated teams, the more schools will be inclined to support a change.

A playoff system would be fairer and, I think, put a little perspective back in football. This system that eliminates teams for losing one or two games is absurd and causes fans, coaches and administrators to have a win at all cost mentality.

zippy
11-21-2011, 08:38 PM
I think OK State does have a shot, but they'd really need Bama to lose to Auburn to make it happen. If all of LSU, Bama and OK State win out, they'd need about 40% of the vote combined with the computer scores to jump Alabama (am no BCS expert, that's just what I read). That'd be hard to justify with the loss to Iowa st., and since OK went down to Baylor, Bedlam doesn't quite have the luster it had before this weekend. You'd have to have an awful lot of voters who just straight-up hate the idea of a rematch to make it happen. Possible, sure, but at this point any of the top 4 teams could get left out in the cold.

BigB08822
11-21-2011, 08:42 PM
The voters have done everything in their power to avoid rematches twice before. If Ok State wins out then it is possible but if they lose another game then the only choice left is Bama unless they want to get crazy and put in VT. The travesty will be if Bama wins, because of what I said before. If LSU wins they go down as one of the best teams ever.

zippy
11-21-2011, 09:07 PM
I dunno, IMO it's hardly a travesty. If the two best teams happen to be from the same division in the same conference, so be it. Oklahoma st isn't playing for a conference championship either. And they have this week to rest which LSU doesn't have, so I don't see why one might be preferable to the other. I'd say there's a mood of resignation that the national championship game will very likely be a rematch of some kind. A bigger travesty would be to deliberately vote out the team with the better record just to avoid the rematch, IMO. I definitely don't mean to say that won't happen; it could, but I'd be surprised if there's enough enthusiasm for OK st. with LSU and Bama winning. Anyway, if Arkansas wins a close game this week, your scenario could be reversed, with Bama slogging to Atlanta while LSU gets a week to party on the beach en route to the BCS championship. Still a lot of football to be played.

BigB08822
11-21-2011, 10:30 PM
You cant consider a team National Champs if the team they beat in the title game has an even 1-1 record with them and on top of that the team that won the big game isn't Conference OR Division title holders.

Ok State is a solid #2 in computer rankings so factoring in all the numbers, Ok State has had a better season than Bama, mainly because of strength of schedule and such. The human votes are what are holding up Bama and those are hardly objective. They are also easily swayed if Ok State beats a top 10 Oklahoma the week of Dec 3rd while Bama sits at home and is completely forgotten.

I know I am hugely biased but if LSU makes it to the NCG undefeated, no matter who they play, they should just get the damn title. They had a schedule no one else could even come close to and yet went undefeated all the way? LSU either goes down as the best team in history (or one of) or they get screwed by a horrible system in the end.

zippy
11-22-2011, 04:15 AM
You cant consider a team National Champs if the team they beat in the title game has an even 1-1 record with them and on top of that the team that won the big game isn't Conference OR Division title holders.

I mean, there's no rule saying you have to be a conference champion. How would that work if not every conference has a championship game? It's fair under the current set of rules, and it's happened before. Whether the system works, that's a different argument, but you can't change the rules mid-stream or just decide you're not going to recognize a team's accomplishment when they've played fairly under the same rules as everyone else. As far as the 1-1 record goes, to use a skating analogy, Tara Lipinski gets to be Olympic Champion even though Michelle Kwan beat her twice that season. She doesn't have to share the title with her or even with Laetitia Hubert :P. It's all hers - she did it when it counted and won fairly. The Olympics and the national title game come with a different level of pressure and whoever wins takes it all. That's sport; it's what makes it exciting and infuriating! When we get to the title game, both teams have a clean slate and an equal chance. If, say, the stars align and Arkansas beats LSU, goes on to win the SEC title, and then LSU beats them in the national title game, wouldn't you say that LSU won the title fair and square?

Ok State is a solid #2 in computer rankings so factoring in all the numbers, Ok State has had a better season than Bama, mainly because of strength of schedule and such. The human votes are what are holding up Bama and those are hardly objective.

I think we've learned from COP that computer systems aren't necessarily perfect; that's why there are human voters to balance it out. Am no expert on the computer system by any means but I always hear grumblings about how it loves the Big 12 a little excessively. As far as strength of schedule goes, looks like LSU plays 7 ranked teams, Alabama plays 5 and Okie State plays 4, and lost to an unranked team. The computer system had been ranking OK State's strength of schedule higher than LSU's, for that matter - here's an article (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/917149-oklahoma-state-number-one-in-the-computers-how-did-things-get-so-messed-up) that discusses it better than I can, probably biased, but it's biased toward LSU so perhaps you'll approve :). Anyway, I was actually pretty bored to death during the LSU-Bama game and a rematch might be like watching paint dry, but from what OK State showed last Friday, it looked like a team that would get steamrolled by LSU. Just not seeing how it gets the nod as second best in the country unless Bama goes down in the Iron Bowl.

VALuvsMKwan
11-22-2011, 12:20 PM
And Virginia Tech has risen quietly to #5... :)

oleada
11-25-2011, 05:45 PM
It won't happen, but I'd love to see Houston lose to Tulsa (my alma matter). They haven't played anyone good and are way overrated.

numbers123
11-25-2011, 08:47 PM
My brother, nephew and niece in law are pretty quiet now. After all the trash talking this week. :)

pstt - PrincessLeppard went to Houston.