PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football thread 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

jeffisjeff
11-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I suspected that was the case. I also read that Sandusky is no longer involved with / associated with the charity he founded. My immediate suspicion was the he was forced out due to some improper conduct which was found out and then covered up. That, however, is complete speculation on my part.

Had a chance to do some research and found:

According to the grand-jury report, John Raykovitz, chief executive of the Second Mile, was told by Penn State's athletic director in 2002 about an incident in which Mr. Sandusky allegedly behaved inappropriately in a shower with a young boy.

But the nonprofit apparently took no action. The Second Mile said in its statement that Mr. Raykovitz was told by Penn State athletic director Tim Curley that there was no finding of wrongdoing. Mr. Curley couldn't be reached for comment.

In 2008, the Second Mile banned Mr. Sandusky from interacting with children in its programs after he informed them that he was being investigated for allegations made by an adolescent, which he maintained were false, according to the group's statement.

In 2010, Mr. Sandusky fully retired from the nonprofit.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203537304577030591158741050.html

BigB08822
11-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Has anyone heard the rumors swirling that more allegations are to come which are even worse? The rumor is that Sandusky used his foundation to pimp out children to donors. I think/hope it is all just a nasty rumor because if it is true then I don't know what will happen to that University. Can they handle anymore of this?

centerstage01
11-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Quite honestly, if I were a player for Penn State, I'd be petitioning the NCAA to allow me to leave this program and immediately be able to play for another D1 school. They'd normally have to sit out a year unless transferring to a lower division school. There is no way in the world I could play for an organization that tried to cover up child rape. Embezzlement, paying for players, giving the NCAA the run around, those are horrible but forgivable. This? Is so NOT.

I know the players themselves aren't responsible for the actions of a group of cowards so they should be able to continue using their talents at a school that doesn't do something so disgusting.

BigB08822
11-12-2011, 05:01 AM
If someone asked to leave, I would hope the NCAA would give them permission. The problem is that I think the school has to also agree and Penn State may not be willing to let anyone leave out of fear that a mass exodus would occur.

Zemgirl
11-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Quite honestly, if I were a player for Penn State, I'd be petitioning the NCAA to allow me to leave this program and immediately be able to play for another D1 school. They'd normally have to sit out a year unless transferring to a lower division school. There is no way in the world I could play for an organization that tried to cover up child rape. Embezzlement, paying for players, giving the NCAA the run around, those are horrible but forgivable. This? Is so NOT.

I know the players themselves aren't responsible for the actions of a group of cowards so they should be able to continue using their talents at a school that doesn't do something so disgusting.

If someone asked to leave, I would hope the NCAA would give them permission. The problem is that I think the school has to also agree and Penn State may not be willing to let anyone leave out of fear that a mass exodus would occur.
When the NCAA gave SMU's program the death penalty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Methodist_University_football_scandal#Dea th_penalty) back in 1987, the players were allowed (by the NCAA) to transfer without loss of eligibility, and I think most did. I don't know if there's a mechanism in place to make such a ruling in a situation that's not related to NCAA rule violations. If the NCAA doesn't make such a ruling, it would be very difficult for the players to transfer - they'd be unable to play for - what is it, one season? Two? - and might not be able to get scholarships. That's a lot to demand of very young men who are not at fault for what happened.

I hope the NCAA will find a way to help the players who want to leave do so without sacrificing eligibility.

bek
11-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I seriously doubt he would have ended his career by reporting a child being raped. This isn't like reporting NCAA infractions that happen in every college football program. This was a very serious crime that he witnessed. I am willing to bet there would have been plenty of schools happy to take him on if he lost his job for doing the right thing.

The best way for an institution to protect itself is to have a policy of immediately reporting these types of incidents to police. This evil exists and employers can't read the hearts/minds of their employers. I can't imagine any reasonable person would blame an employer who didn't know about incident, for the incident, as long as the employer took immediate actions afterwards.

I know my mom's cousin was a sexual abuse victim. He actually orginally wasn't mad at the Catholic Church. He recognized that they themselves didn't abuse them. But when they treated him horribly/the cover up that made him made.

My mom told him how her church had an incident where a youth pastor was caught doing that type of thing, and as soon as they learned, they called the police. Her cousin said how much that meant to him that was her church's response.

bek
11-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I seriously doubt he would have ended his career by reporting a child being raped. This isn't like reporting NCAA infractions that happen in every college football program. This was a very serious crime that he witnessed. I am willing to bet there would have been plenty of schools happy to take him on if he lost his job for doing the right thing.

The best way for an institution to protect itself is to have a policy of immediately reporting these types of incidents to police. This evil exists and employers can't read the hearts/minds of their employees. The abusers can be cunning. I can't imagine any reasonable person would blame an employer who didn't know about incident, for the incident, as long as the employer took immediate actions as soon as learning about it.

I know my mom's cousin was a sexual abuse victim. He actually orginally wasn't mad at the Catholic Church. He recognized that they themselves didn't abuse them. But when they treated him horribly/the cover up that made him made.

My mom told him how her church had an incident where a youth pastor was caught doing that type of thing, and as soon as they learned, they called the police. Her cousin said how much that meant to him that was her church's response.

I would think given the massive Catholic Church scandals and other scandals. Any institution that reported these things to the police immediately would actually get eventually praised.

Vagabond
11-13-2011, 05:20 PM
McQueary has been placed on paid administrative leave. When asked whether the decision was made for reasons of safety or of conduct, Penn State's interim president said, "It's complicated."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/133756088.html

4rkidz
11-15-2011, 03:14 AM
IMHO they are all guilty by omission, especially those at Penn State in positions of power.. doesn't matter if its a 'prosecutable case' that's the role of the lawyers not the school.. here we have laws against not reporting child abuse..
I'm sorry it's not 'okay' to have showers with young boys when you are a coach and can't believe his lawyer is speaking out about this to defend his behaviour.. over 40 charges :yikes: asked about why the victims came forward now - lawyer says they are looking for their 'time in the limelight'.. obviously he has never worked with sexual abuse victims.. it's the last thing they want which is why they often don't come forward till many years later..
As someone who works/has worked with pedophiles they are often never charged or caught and when they are their are often many, many victims.. stay tuned..:slinkaway

Vagabond
11-15-2011, 05:10 AM
IMHO they are all guilty by omission, especially those at Penn State in positions of power.. doesn't matter if its a 'prosecutable case' that's the role of the lawyers not the school.. here we have laws against not reporting child abuse.

They have them in Pennsylvania too, and they weren't applicable to the people involved. The requirements apply to grade-school teachers, healthcare workers, and the like, not college coaches or administrators. But that is beside the point. The people with knowledge should have reported what they knew to the police (and to the parents of the boys involved), regardless of whether they were under a legal requirement to do so.

ETA: According to the Grand Jury Report (http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/feature?section=news&id=8421115), Penn State officials were required to report the 2002 shower incident to law enforcement officials. It isn't clear from the report which officials were required to report it or why. I suspect, though, that the requirement doesn't pertain strictly to child abuse but rather to all sexual assaults or all violent crimes committed on public property.

PrincessLeppard
11-19-2011, 10:44 PM
The Houston Cougars are 10-0???? That was my alma mater. When I went there, we played in the Astrodome. :D

HeatherC
11-20-2011, 05:12 AM
Holy upset day Batman!!! :eek: I think a total of three or four top ten teams all lost today. I watched Oregon lose to USC and then Oklahoma lose to Baylor (first time Baylor has ever beaten OK in 21 attempts!) and I think there were two other games with the top team losing too. The BCS is going crazy all over again, LOL :rofl: :lol:

Is it next season yet? Both my teams are having rough years and I'm just ready for it to be over. :fragile:

BigB08822
11-20-2011, 06:20 AM
I am just gutted. Bama is the luckiest team in college football. They are going to get a rematch with LSU (if LSU wins out, not a certainty by any means) AND get a free week off in the mean time. LSU on the other hand gets punished for beating Bama and will have to play an extra game against a possible top 10 opponent. I hope OSU is kept at #4 in BCS standings then goes to #3 if LSU beats Arkansas and then backs into the NCG if the beat OU in Bedlam. I can't fathom letting a team into the big game if they don't even play for their Conference title. That is the same thing as rewarding a loss or punishing a victory for the other teams.

I am guessing it will be 1. LSU 2. Bama 3. Arkansas tomorrow, all top 3 teams not only from the SEC but from the SEC West.

BigB08822
11-20-2011, 06:22 AM
The Houston Cougars are 10-0???? That was my alma mater. When I went there, we played in the Astrodome. :D

Yes, but their strength of schedule is the 3rd lowest in all of college football. That is why no one even mentions them in the BCS title talk even though everyone is losing left and right. I think all teams would need 3 losses before Houston could get into the title game. Why don't they start trying to play some better teams? Sure, they may lose but they have to be tired of winning all their games every year and getting nothing but a whooping in their bowl game for it.

rfisher
11-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I'll have the LSU/Arkansas game on in one room while I watch skating in another. I can't watch the Hogs play. I'll be yelling too much. I have to sneak in and check the score every so often. IF Arkansas beats LSU which beat Alabama which beat Arkansas, what a mess we will have. But, :cheer2: SEC :cheer2:

But, the game is in Baton Rouge.