PDA

View Full Version : The very annoying US Postal Service (USPS)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Grannyfan
08-20-2011, 03:34 AM
^^^Unfortunately, a lot of "small town" PO's are winding up on the list for potential closure.

Sadly, this is true. Every time a list comes out I check to see if any of the really small ones near here will close. So far we've been lucky.

Skittl1321
08-20-2011, 03:41 AM
I think if the twice as large garbage truck can maneuver into the cleared space, the post person could too. If they can't get their truck to your property line, they skip you too. I keep my property cleared. I can't do it for neighbors too.

I don't mind losing mail for a week after a huge snow, but half the winter is excessive. I'm sorry to hearyou know carries who had major health issues due to snow, but that is not the issue. The issue is refusing to drive on an angle or go in reverse.

Karina1974
08-20-2011, 12:40 PM
And you don't know that she's a starting carrier.

If she is delivering the same route every single day (and from Skittl's post it sounds like she is), then she is NOT a starting carrier. No one starts out with their own route in the USPS. Everybody starts out as a PTF, meaning that they do fill-in for carriers who do have their own routes (called "Regulars") who are out sick or on vacation.

It's a union job, that means you wait your turn until enough people above you leave that you are at a level where you can bid for your own route, no matter if you are the absolute best carrier at that particular office. That can take years. My friend became a Regular after only about a year, but that is a rare occurance.

The issue is refusing to drive on an angle or go in reverse.

They can't back those mail trucks up. At one of the AAA defensive driving courses I've taken, there was a woman who is a carrier, and she said it is against the rules to back up. If they want/need to turn around, they have to drive forwards in a half-loop.

Karina1974
08-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't know about the other, but that's regulation for snow. You are responsible for having the way to your mailbox clear; if it isn't, the mail carrier does not have to deliver your mail.

Or if you are a business with a really long driveway and you are lax about cleaning up the icy surface or putting down salt (my employer is guilty of this sometimes :mad:).

taf2002
08-21-2011, 04:49 PM
What's even more pathetic is how much $$ she's making. New carriers start at $18/hr; by the time most of them get enough seniority where they can bid for their own route rather than being a PTF (Part Time Flexible AKA a sub) they're often already making $20+/hr.

That's a nice wage but they are hardly getting rich. And for those complaining about them not getting out of their cars, people in uniform often get attacked by dogs who are usually not aggressive, so staying in the car is probably what they have been told to do. All service industries have their detractors but there is no business on earth that has all 100% wonderful employees. The whole industry should not be judged on the rotten apples.

Wow. We must have the same mail woman because mine does the same thing! She won't deliver the mail if she cannot drive straight up and straight out without doing any maneuvering. The houses are not that far apart where I'm at so if even one car is there (which is almost every day from my neighbors!), then I don't get my mail. Yet they don't park in front of their own houses, so they always get their mail. :mad: I luck out if the mail comes before they get some from school so their car isn't there yet. Same deal with snow .... no clean drive thru then no mail.

You should be able to limit parking directly in front of your house. Talk to the Code Compliance office at your police station. They may tell you to have the cars towed or have some other solution,.

victoriaheidi
08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Ok, my own USPS story:

I ordered a belt from a seemingly reputable online company. Heck, they still seem reputable-they just have lousy customer service. But anyway, I thought I'd track the package one day, and I noticed that it had been "delivered" the previous Thursday. They even had a delivery time on there!

I questioned everyone in my house-nothing. I called the USPS and spent a very long time waiting for an actual person to talk to. Finally, we concluded that it had been delivered somewhere else. Where it was delivered, I don't know; I have no relationships with my neighbors, and I have no clue where else it could have gone!

The most USPS could do was file a claim, which means next to nothing. No one ever tried to get the belt to me, I had to drive all over town to find something similar (it was part of a costume) and I don't think I ever actually got my money back...maybe I did, I don't remember.

Frustrating!

ArtisticFan
08-21-2011, 06:08 PM
My postal carrier is a wannabe race car driver. He squeals to a halt and speeds to the next stop with the same results all around our neighborhood. I can't complain about his service, but I do laugh and wonder what will happen when the brakes give out.

overedge
08-21-2011, 08:31 PM
It's a union job, that means you wait your turn until enough people above you leave that you are at a level where you can bid for your own route, no matter if you are the absolute best carrier at that particular office.

No, this means that these are the rules for how work is allocated at this particular organization. Other unionized workplaces have other rules, and even non-unionized workplaces use seniority as a basis for promotion/allocation. This is not the outcome of it being a "union job".

Vash01
08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Ok, my own USPS story:

I ordered a belt from a seemingly reputable online company. Heck, they still seem reputable-they just have lousy customer service. But anyway, I thought I'd track the package one day, and I noticed that it had been "delivered" the previous Thursday. They even had a delivery time on there!

I questioned everyone in my house-nothing. I called the USPS and spent a very long time waiting for an actual person to talk to. Finally, we concluded that it had been delivered somewhere else. Where it was delivered, I don't know; I have no relationships with my neighbors, and I have no clue where else it could have gone!

The most USPS could do was file a claim, which means next to nothing. No one ever tried to get the belt to me, I had to drive all over town to find something similar (it was part of a costume) and I don't think I ever actually got my money back...maybe I did, I don't remember.

Frustrating!

Yes, that sounds very frustrating. It sounds like you got a bad deal from both the USPS and the company you ordered the belt from.

BaileyCatts
08-22-2011, 04:43 AM
I don't know about the other, but that's regulation for snow. You are responsible for having the way to your mailbox clear; if it isn't, the mail carrier does not have to deliver your mail.

That actually makes sense to me.

But I do. I shovel out from the edge of my driveway all the way about two feet past my mailbox (yes, I actually dig out the STREET where the plow has piled all the snow, I dig all of that crap out of the street so the mail can get there) but she still will not deliver it because I do not shovel out the ENTIRE LENGTH of the front of my house so she can drive straight thru without having to turn the wheel and have to drive out into the street a bit. Now that is BS to me.

Meredith
08-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I appreciate my mail carrier more and more as I read this thread. I live in a small town - and hope my post office is not on the endangered list. The same employees have been there for years and do a great job.

The postal service where I work (larger city) is another story altogether. While the folks behind the desk seem quite knowledgeable, the delivery is sometimes spotty. Whenever we have a substitute we can count on our mail either arriving very late or not at all. As a business this is unacceptable.

milanessa
08-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I appreciate my mail carrier more and more as I read this thread. I live in a small town - and hope my post office is not on the endangered list.

Here's the list:

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/us-post-office-closings-2011-complete-list-possible-closures-2818307.html

Skittl1321
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
They can't back those mail trucks up. At one of the AAA defensive driving courses I've taken, there was a woman who is a carrier, and she said it is against the rules to back up. If they want/need to turn around, they have to drive forwards in a half-loop.
Nice to know it is policy and not laziness that prevents her from driving backwards 2 feet.

You should be able to limit parking directly in front of your house. Talk to the Code Compliance office at your police station. They may tell you to have the cars towed or have some other solution,.

Not around here. Street parking is legal- and streets belong to the city. There is no limit on who can park where. You can only call to have them towed if they are blocking your driveway. (What is nice is that our streets don't allow overnight parking, so at least they can't stay blocking your mailbox for days on end, unless they just keep moving their car back there.)