PDA

View Full Version : The very annoying US Postal Service (USPS)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

ilovesalchows
08-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Well, Fedex and UPS rely HEAVILY on USPS for much of their shipping, so if USPS goes away the alternatives will be much more expensive. Nevermind mailing a letter for 44 cents. I wonder how that compares to historical rates adjusted for inflation anyway?

My dad is a retired letter carrier, retired at 55 with a federal pension and full benefits for life for both he and my mom. I am always banging my head against a wall talking to him because he doesn't understand that the average person can't just go out and get a blue collar job that pays that well with full benefits anymore. ;)

aliceanne
08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
I buy a lot of stuff online and I haven't had any problems with USPS. Our mailman has been on the route 15-20 years and knows everyone by name even when I run into him away from my house.

Canada post has gotten stuff to me OK as well.

My only headache has been with UPS, especially with items where you want a signature. They don't like to deliver to your house and when I used my office address for a personal package, they started sending me every overdue bill for every person in the building.

The next time the sender requested signature service I stayed home all day waiting for delivery. At 4pm the delivery person left a note on my door that I could pick my package up at their warehouse (if he knocked it wasn't very loud). I called the number on the note and I had a one hour window that evening to pick up (between 8-9pm). What was really frustrating was that I had asked if I could pick up at the warehouse in the first place, and they told me no.

LilJen
08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
A different U.S. Postal Service:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i10Z6f1XPLw
Some great retro outfits.

manhn
08-19-2011, 06:10 PM
I like how Americans can get their passports at the post office. Very convenient.

overedge
08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
What's even more pathetic is how much $$ she's making. New carriers start at $18/hr; by the time most of them get enough seniority where they can bid for their own route rather than being a PTF (Part Time Flexible AKA a sub) they're often already making $20+/hr.

You have no way of knowing much seniority she has, or what category she's in, so maybe you should save the comments about her wages being "pathetic".

Karina1974
08-19-2011, 06:47 PM
You have no way of knowing much seniority she has, or what category she's in, so maybe you should save the comments about her wages being "pathetic".

I don't have to know. I know what the starting rate for carriers is because I myself took the test for that job back in 2005, AND got called in for an orientation for one of the stations I wanted to be considered for. They only took the 15 highest test scores to be further considered (and they were only looking to hire 3 people), so I didn't get any farther than the orientation. If you don't score in the high 90's on that test, you're basically SOL.

Be that as it may, for the amount of $$ and benefits that job pays out, and based on Skittl1321's description of what seems to be his/her carrier's behavior (And if someone else is parked blocking the drive line to either side of your mailbox, she won't maneuver around to put mail into your box, you just get skipped for the day.), yes, I do think it's pathetic that someone is being paid $18+/hr and not fully doing the job. The carriers are supposed to make every effort to deliver the mail, and if that includes trying to maneuver around vehicles parked on either side of the mailbox, something the resident of said mailbox cannot always control, than that is what they must do.

Grannyfan
08-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I love my post office. Of course, I live in a small town and know all the employees and the carriers on a first-name basis. They go out of their way to be helpful. I've waited at the window while they've had to deal with some real idiots, and they've never been anything but polite. Is the service what it used to be? No, but that's mainly because they are short-staffed from what I can tell. Only one window, shorter hours, etc. We still have Saturday delivery although the window isn't open then. If you take a package to be mailed and it isn't wrapped very well or doesn't have enough tape, they fix it up for you. Occasionally, they bring me mail that has the address of a house I haven't lived in in 15 years. An elderly lady I know who was no longer physically able to walk out to the highway to get her mail out of her box now has it hand delivered to a new box (put up by friends) at her back door, and all she has to do is open the door. Doesn't even have to step outside. She didn't ask for special treatment; her carrier just knew her situation. I took the folks at our P.O. some donuts only this morning because they had recently done something very nice for me. Small town life has many advantages. :)

Off topic, but our post office building was recently refurbished from top to bottom outside and looks beautiful. It's a WPA building of a design that I've seen in other small towns. We have one of the famous Depression era post office murals, too.

Karina1974
08-19-2011, 08:02 PM
^^^Unfortunately, a lot of "small town" PO's are winding up on the list for potential closure.

overedge
08-20-2011, 12:27 AM
I don't have to know. I know what the starting rate for carriers is because...

And you don't know that she's a starting carrier. If your problem is with her not doing her job fully, fine, but don't use that as an excuse to diss the wages that carriers get paid.

BaileyCatts
08-20-2011, 01:25 AM
Our mailman (actually a woman) would NEVER put mail into a front door slot. She won't get out of her truck unless it is certified. And if someone else is parked blocking the drive line to either side of your mailbox, she won't maneuver around to put mail into your box, you just get skipped for the day..

Wow. We must have the same mail woman because mine does the same thing! She won't deliver the mail if she cannot drive straight up and straight out without doing any maneuvering. The houses are not that far apart where I'm at so if even one car is there (which is almost every day from my neighbors!), then I don't get my mail. Yet they don't park in front of their own houses, so they always get their mail. :mad: I luck out if the mail comes before they get some from school so their car isn't there yet. Same deal with snow .... no clean drive thru then no mail.

BaileyCatts
08-20-2011, 01:29 AM
I like how Americans can get their passports at the post office. Very convenient.

Well, except when the person who has to sign the froms screws it up 3 times and the passport agency keeps sending it back and you have to keep redoing it, like happened when I had to quickly try to get a passport for an intern at work. For the third time filling out, I stood there and had to tell the guy where to sign as he kept insisting he didn't have to sign that place and the passport agency kept sending it back saying "no signature". :duh:

Prancer
08-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Same deal with snow .... no clean drive thru then no mail.

I don't know about the other, but that's regulation for snow. You are responsible for having the way to your mailbox clear; if it isn't, the mail carrier does not have to deliver your mail.

That actually makes sense to me.

Skittl1321
08-20-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't know about the other, but that's regulation for snow. You are responsible for having the way to your mailbox clear; if it isn't, the mail carrier does not have to deliver your mail.

That actually makes sense to me.

It shouldn't go past your property line though. The regulation would have me clearing my mailbox and both of my neighbor's on either sides. But they don't give a damn, so I get screwed- more so when they pile it up against their property line from their driveway, quadrupling my work.

I already go to the effort to keep the fire hydrant dug out, they cover that too, but I'm not moving their entire driveway's worth of snow so the mail lady doesn't have to TURN her vehicle slightly.

Badams
08-20-2011, 02:58 AM
My mailman rules. This last winter, we got so much snow we could barely keep up! I know there were days when there wasn't a clear path, but he never missed a day. He even caught my 2 year old when he escaped one day.:lol:

Prancer
08-20-2011, 02:59 AM
It shouldn't go past your property line though. The regulation would have me clearing my mailbox and both of my neighbor's on either sides. But they don't give a damn, so I get screwed- more so when they pile it up against their property line from their driveway, quadrupling my work.

"They" are one issue, the mail is another.

When my FIL was a mail carrier, he had to deliver mail anyway. He used to get home at midnight sometimes in the winter because it took him so long to finish his route because he got stuck so often. He had his first heart attack while he was digging himself out at a mailbox. Two of the people he worked with were hit by cars trying to dig themselves out at night. So sorry, but I kinda think it's okay for postal workers to not have to deliver mail to snowy boxes. If there's something in the mail so time critical that it can't wait a day or two, then it shouldn't have been sent by snail mail in the first place.

And yes, this IS an issue for me, as I am on a rural route, my mailbox is across the street, and I also have to deal with snowplows and piled snow and inconsiderate neighbors. It's all annoying and exhausting, so why would I think it's okay for me to skip my one mailbox but expect the mail carrier to deal with the hundreds of them along my route?