PDA

View Full Version : The very annoying US Postal Service (USPS)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Vash01
08-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Postal Service proposes cutting 120,000 jobs, pulling out of health-care plan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/usps-proposes-cutting-120000-jobs-pulling-out-of-health-care-plan/2011/08/11/gIQAZxIM9I_story.html

So everything is going in the wrong direction.

Which probably means customer service will worsen.

This is a tiny detail, and maybe they charge for this now, but last time I moved I did not pay anything to officially change my address or have mail forwarded for the first year. Considering how many Americans change residences every year, why not charge for something like that? That would add a few million a year (which in comparison is just a few cents a year to a typical household, but...).

The anthrax attacks in 2001 probably didn't help, either. http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2008/08/01/in_depth_us/timeline4314016.shtml I STILL carefully open my mail since that happened. :shuffle:

AFAIK they don't charge for moving, but I have not moved in 17 years :lol:

About the Anthrax- I remember talking to a postal employee years ago about why they were losing money and she said the Anthrax attacks had lot to do with it (of course now there could be other reasons- the internet being the most important one, I think)

milanessa
08-18-2011, 05:26 AM
I changed my mothers address online a couple of months ago when she married. I had to give them a credit card number and there was a $1 charge. :lol: I don't know if they would have charged that had I gone into a post office and done it in person.

Vash01
08-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Someone told me today that the USPS is semi-privatized. Is that correct? I thought it was totally a federal govt. agency...?

milanessa
08-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Someone told me today that the USPS is semi-privatized. Is that correct? I thought it was totally a federal govt. agency...?

It's a private enterprise with oversight by the federal government. The only federal money they get is reimbursement for franking privileges and post that's directed by law. For example Congress has mandated lower postal prices for the blind - the USPS is compensated for that since the postage doesn't cover the cost.

MacMadame
08-18-2011, 06:05 PM
:rolleyes: ...Or I'll ask him and keep to myself whatever it is I find out. I don't see anyone else here saying "I work for the USPS..." or "I know someone who was a career employee with the USPS, and I'll ask them for their take on the situation..."

Yes, you don't see anyone else saying that. Maybe that's a clue. :shuffle:

Louis
08-19-2011, 02:07 AM
I changed my mothers address online a couple of months ago when she married. I had to give them a credit card number and there was a $1 charge. :lol: I don't know if they would have charged that had I gone into a post office and done it in person.

I don't think the fee applies in person. I've paid the $1 fee three or four times now. I would gladly pay at least $25 not to have to go to the post office. :drama:

ChelleC
08-19-2011, 02:27 AM
I don't think the fee applies in person. I've paid the $1 fee three or four times now. I would gladly pay at least $25 not to have to go to the post office. :drama:

I moved in April, got the forwarding forms from my former mail carrier. Definitely didn't cost me a dime. :lol:

Prancer
08-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Me three. I've had way more problems with Fedex and DHL than I've ever had with the USPS or UPS.

Another vote for the USPS.

:rolleyes: ...Or I'll ask him and keep to myself whatever it is I find out. I don't see anyone else here saying "I work for the USPS..." or "I know someone who was a career employee with the USPS, and I'll ask them for their take on the situation..."

Oh, well, if you're looking for a volunteer: my FIL retired from the post office. He never says anything about the union, though, but I don't quite know how the union is relevant to the topic at hand, anyway.

But about mail delivery itself, he can tell you all kinds of horror stories about it and one of the things he always does when we go on trips is come over to our house a couple of days after we've left to see if our stopped mail has actually been stopped. He's done this every single time we've taken a trip in the 26 years my husband and I have been married. Never once has a post office messed this up, but he still checks :lol:.

According to him, the people most likely to have issues like the OPs are the customers who have sub postal workers. Some routes have subs for months at a time because no one actually has the route; some routes are covered by subs while the regular postal carrier is on vacation. Subs often screw up on stopped mail because they are unfamiliar with the route and customers. You will also usually get an unhelpful reaction if you call and complain about a sub after the fact, especially if there were several subs who covered the route while you were away, as there is really very little that can be done about it. The sub is probably at another branch somewhere and the regular carrier is innocent, so....nothing happens. They should apologize, however.

I once went to our local post office to pick up a package that the USPS said had been delivered to our PO box. It wasn't there, so I rang the doorbell at the mail sorting office and asked if they had it (the public is invited to do this during service hours). They told me to come on back and take a look in the bins that were sitting around full of mail for the PO boxes. Let me tell ya, after seeing the massive piles of mail just at my dinky little post office, I don't know how anyone ever gets anything that is sent by mail :yikes:. And yet, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of mailed items that have gone astray for me.

So....there ya have it. A postal worker's take and a customer's, too. Sorry that I still have nothing to say about the union, though.

my little pony
08-19-2011, 02:36 AM
i like my post office. :slinkaway post master bob runs a tight ship.

MacMadame
08-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Oh, well, if you're looking for a volunteer: my FIL retired from the post office.

Heck, we have retired postal office works right here on FSU.

Anyway, count me as one who is a fan of the post office and think we get tremendous service for a very small cost.

woodstock
08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
If you have problems with mail being stolen just put a mail slot in your front door. The mail slides right into my house onto the sunporch. (only things that don't fit are packages, but they wouldn't fit in a locked box either). My only issue is I need to get to the mail before my crazy dog does. Sometimes he gets so frenzied by the mailman at the door that he attacks the mail as it slides into the house. :dog:

Skittl1321
08-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Our mailman (actually a woman) would NEVER put mail into a front door slot. She won't get out of her truck unless it is certified. And if someone else is parked blocking the drive line to either side of your mailbox, she won't maneuver around to put mail into your box, you just get skipped for the day.

We lose our mail service every winter because you have to keep 15 feet cleared on either side from snow (there is only 3 feet behind our mailbox before our neighbor's property, and they have a plow service that piles their entire driveway's worth of snow at that line. There is no way we would ever be able to shovel that much.) So we put holds 2 weeks at a time and go pick it up, then put it on hold again. If she can't drive in a straightline to the mailbox, she won't deliver it. Thankfully last year we had a good melt, so we only did this for a month. The year before it was 3 months of no mail.

When we have packages they are set on the curb next to our mailbox, or rubber banded to the outside of the mailbox. I hate that. I feel like they are much safer on our porch, than sitting in the street.

Badams
08-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Wow...she's lazy!

Karina1974
08-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Wow...she's lazy!

What's even more pathetic is how much $$ she's making. New carriers start at $18/hr; by the time most of them get enough seniority where they can bid for their own route rather than being a PTF (Part Time Flexible AKA a sub) they're often already making $20+/hr.

skatemommy
08-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Customs numbers are not the same thing as tracking numbers. I (cautiously) ship worldwide on eBay, and they caution over and over again that you cannot use customs numbers like they are tracking numbers, because they are not treated as such by postal workers. In order to have true international tracking, you have to buy it separately - typically at about 3 times the postage price :shuffle:

^ I hate this about USPS. I sell on Ebay and 1st class international is not trackable. I only ship international to Canada now.