PDA

View Full Version : The very annoying US Postal Service (USPS)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

milanessa
08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Me three. I've had way more problems with Fedex and DHL than I've ever had with the USPS or UPS.

danceronice
08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm getting fed up with their hours. Our local PO is open 9-5 M-F and now 10-3 Saturdays, making it borderline impossible for anyone with a job to get in without leaving work (especially those of us known to work Saturdays.) And they will have a line out the door, but one person working the counter while the other does something else. If they would get an APC to put in the lobby, I'd be fine. Of course, it would also make more sense not to lock the FREE Priority Mail packaging up when they're closed, too, so I can't even get a packing label after hours.

But they don't care and will never change, unless their protected status is eliminated. They know we can't send first-class mail any other way. But if there was a UPS store in our town, as far as packages go....

Karina1974
08-17-2011, 04:30 PM
You know, the more I read about the USPS, the less surprised I am that a friend, who retired 6 years ago after 30 years as a City Carrier, but remained active with the union typing up the local NALC chapter newsletter and going to the national conventions, told me in May that he had just typed up his last union newsletter. I never did ask him why; when I see him Saturday, maybe I'll run this topic by him and get his take on it.

antmanb
08-17-2011, 04:33 PM
You know, the more I read about the USPS, the less surprised I am that a friend, who retired 6 years ago after 30 years as a City Carrier, but remained active with the union typing up the local NALC chapter newsletter and going to the national conventions, told me in May that he had just typed up his last union newsletter. I never did ask him why; when I see him Saturday, maybe I'll run this topic by him and get his take on it.

:rofl: I was waiting for this :rofl:

Karina1974
08-17-2011, 05:08 PM
:rofl: I was waiting for this :rofl:

:rolleyes: ...Or I'll ask him and keep to myself whatever it is I find out. I don't see anyone else here saying "I work for the USPS..." or "I know someone who was a career employee with the USPS, and I'll ask them for their take on the situation..."

Jem X
08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Back to Vash01, yes you should call and complain to your congressman, and if possible, give the name of the supervisor you spoke with. The congressman's office will contact the USPS office you dealt with, and the office will be required to look into it and report back to the congressman's office. It's possible that nothing further will happen, but it's also possible if enough complaints come in - especially with names- that personnel could be reprimanded or transferred around.

Skittl1321
08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
A simple apology would have satisfied me in this case.

Corporations generally won't apologize because that means they admit wrong doing, which can bite them in the butt if there is latter prosecution for some reason.

Sorry you felt like their response was not adequate, but I really don't see what the issue is. The vast majority of the mail in this country is delivered to unlocked locations. Unless the mail is sent certified, it is not considered to be secure.

milanessa
08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Sorry you felt like their response was not adequate, but I really don't see what the issue is. The vast majority of the mail in this country is delivered to unlocked locations. Unless the mail is sent certified, it is not considered to be secure.

This. It might have made your day more pleasant if she had been nice but...

vesperholly
08-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm getting fed up with their hours. Our local PO is open 9-5 M-F and now 10-3 Saturdays, making it borderline impossible for anyone with a job to get in without leaving work (especially those of us known to work Saturdays.) And they will have a line out the door, but one person working the counter while the other does something else. If they would get an APC to put in the lobby, I'd be fine. Of course, it would also make more sense not to lock the FREE Priority Mail packaging up when they're closed, too, so I can't even get a packing label after hours.

But they don't care and will never change, unless their protected status is eliminated. They know we can't send first-class mail any other way. But if there was a UPS store in our town, as far as packages go....

If you have a PayPal account, a scale that measures ounces and a computer with printer, you can buy your own shipping labels online. It works for US mail only, but it's a godsend for anyone who does online sales. My post office is tiny and often only manned by one extremely chatty woman, luckily it does have an APC but that also does not do international packages.

I could NEVER find the link while logged into PayPal, but someone in another community posted this and it works like a dream:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

nikjil
08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
The post office is awful. I sent my best friend a birthday package and sent it delivery confirmation. The USPS said it was delivered but my friend never said anything. I finally asked her and she never got it. She was on vacation, returning the day it was delivered, and her mail was being held at the post office until the next day. When she asked why a package was delivered when her mail was on hold the postmaster gave her some ridiculous story about how requesting a hold didn't mean that your mail would actually be held because the post office does not check the mail against your hold requests. They also said that it was not delivered by her regular postman but rather by some employee who goes out if there is extra or late mail or something like that. They told her the package must have been stolen. My friend thought that was unlikely because it was a large envelope rather than a box and based on the time stamp on the delivery confirmation there was only around an hour or so between the delivery time and her arrival back home. She eventually questioned the guy who delivered it and he admitted that while he remembered the package, he was unfamiliar with the neighborhood and didn't recognize the house and thought he had delivered it to the wrong place. The post office wouldn't do anything to make up for this.

I've also sent packages delivery confirmation to NYC that either never arrived or arrived but were never confirmed and was told that was just the way it was in New York and postal employees there don't bother to scan the delivery confirmation.

It live in a small town and the post office is ghastly. There's not enough parking, there's generally only one person on duty and the lines are always long because there isn't a stamp machine in the post office.

Vash01
08-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Corporations generally won't apologize because that means they admit wrong doing, which can bite them in the butt if there is latter prosecution for some reason.

USPS is not a corporation, it is a government agency, like the one I work for. If we make a mistake, we admit it and we are much nicer when someone complains.

I don't care what happens to those vast locations you mentioned. My PO specifically had warned people in the past not to leave their mail overnight in their LOCKED mailboxes for the possibility of theft. For THEM to carelessly leave it outside my door (not in an unlocked mailbox, which is the case in some cities) is inexcusable. I do have an issue with it.

P.S. I do know that my brother who lives in California has a mailbox without a lock and his mail was getting stolen a few years back. A neighbor seemed to see the theft while occurring and warned my brother. We have locked mailboxes here in Phoenix for that very reason.

Susan1
08-18-2011, 12:12 AM
A couple years ago, I received a package FROM our local post office which contained half of the VISA bill I mailed three weeks before. (It was sliced right in half.) The half they returned had my return address on it, so it's not like it took them that long to track me down. Needless to say, my VISA bill was then overdue - which meant interest and a service charge. I called right away and told them. And I mailed a new check, along with a letter and the old half of check. They removed the interest from my account but I still had to pay a service charge. I also went to the USPS website and lodged a complaint. I never heard back.

I've also received electric bills on the day they were due 2-3 times. The last time, the lady I talked to said they had gotten that a lot from people in my city that week. Maybe they all went on vacation at the same time?

Yeah, I know that would be a good reason to pay my accounts online, but I am old fashioned and like to have a paper record of everything.

Louis
08-18-2011, 12:19 AM
The USPS is terrible.

BUT.... being able to send a letter anywhere in the country for 44 cents or whatever it costs now is pretty damn cheap when you think about it.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't cost $2 or $3 to mail a letter and suspect that the low postal rates are probably some form of corporate welfare (though I have not done any research on this).

Privatize it but also allow the USPS to charge whatever the market will bear for its services. That's my $0.02 at least.

Karina1974
08-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I know that would be a good reason to pay my accounts online, but I am old fashioned and like to have a paper record of everything.

I currently pay every bill online except for my Dell account, because once it's paid off, it's paid off until/unless I buy something else from them. Every single bill site I use allows me to print copies of my statements. National Grid, my gas/electric provider, even gives me my PDF e-statement in exactly the same format as it looks if I were to have it mailed to me. Sprint and Time Warner do the same.

deltask8er
08-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Postal Service proposes cutting 120,000 jobs, pulling out of health-care plan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/usps-proposes-cutting-120000-jobs-pulling-out-of-health-care-plan/2011/08/11/gIQAZxIM9I_story.html

During the past four years, the service lost $20 billion, including $8.5 billion in fiscal 2010. Over that period, mail volume dropped by 20 percent.

So everything is going in the wrong direction.

If the Postal Service was a private sector business, it would have filed for bankruptcy and utilized the reorganization process to restructure its labor agreements to reflect the new financial reality,” the document continues.

The Postal Service has reduced its workforce by 212,000 positions in the past 10 years and recently announced it is considering the closing of 3,700 post offices. It also has asked Congress to allow it to deliver mail five days a week instead of six and to change a requirement that it pre-fund retiree health benefits.

The USPS said it needs to reduce its workforce by 120,000 career positions by 2015, from a total of about 563,400, on top of the 100,000 it expects by attrition. Some of the 120,000 could come through buyouts and other programs, but a significant number would probably result from layoffs if Congress allows the agency to circumvent union contracts.

Which probably means customer service will worsen.

This is a tiny detail, and maybe they charge for this now, but last time I moved I did not pay anything to officially change my address or have mail forwarded for the first year. Considering how many Americans change residences every year, why not charge for something like that? That would add a few million a year (which in comparison is just a few cents a year to a typical household, but...).

The anthrax attacks in 2001 probably didn't help, either. http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2008/08/01/in_depth_us/timeline4314016.shtml I STILL carefully open my mail since that happened. :shuffle: