PDA

View Full Version : 25 Coolest Athletes

Garden Kitty
08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
GQ did its list of the 25 "coolest" athletes of all time (http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201102/25-coolest-athletes-poll) and as this sports blog notes, (http://www.thenation.com/blog/162804/gq%E2%80%99s-25-coolest-athletes-all-time-has-slight-omission-entire-gender) they managed to not include any women. The blog writer included some women he'd pick as "cool", but who would you propose to add to the list? (male or female)

Skipping skaters for the moment, I'd propose Jeannie Longo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannie_Longo) - love to see the elder "statesmen" of a sport mixing it up with the young stars.

Buzz
08-16-2011, 07:27 PM
They include something like 3 golfers but not a single T&F athlete not even Carl Lewis or Michael Johnson? I always thought they were great people and fine role models as well as athletes. Sergei Bubka should be included as well as Olga Corbut.

BigB08822
08-16-2011, 08:58 PM
They didn't include a single woman? How could they even fathom that this was acceptable, let alone reflective of reality? I won't even take a look at the list, they don't deserve my view.

Rob
08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Here are some cool ladies:
Althea Gibson
Babe Didrikson
Jackie Joyner-Kersee
Yelena Isinbayeva
Wilma Rudolph
Cheryl Miller
Lisa Leslie
Janet Evans
Fu Mingxia
Bonnie Blair
Martina Navratilova
Billie Jean King
Steffi Graf
Olga Korbut
Oksana Chusovitina
Michelle Kwan
Sonja Henie
Janica Kostelic
Mia Hamm
Jeanne Longo
Joan Benoit
Grete Waitz
Annika Sorenstam
Manon Rheaume
Danica Patrick

I could name a bunch more swimmers/track athletes, but I can't keep track of the doping accusations.

jl
08-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Actually, in China, while Fu Mingxia is venerated, I think Guo Jingjing is the more popular diver. Guo was pretty badass, insulting every other diver and their inferior skills, even those of her teammates at times. She also had/has her name plastered all over China with ads.

Lindsay Vonn might be another good recent pick, or perhaps Marta.

Rottie
08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
I like Rob's list. For cool, I'd add from tennis Chris Evert and Evonne Goolagong.

poths
08-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Usain Bolt the coolet fcker on the planet isn't on their list?:confused:

Buzz
08-17-2011, 07:49 PM

WORD! :respec:

EDITED TO ADD:
Alberto Tomba and Herman Maier should also have been on that list. They were the stars of their sport.

Rob
08-17-2011, 08:12 PM

Totally.

I thought about putting Guo and Fu on but couldn't decide who to take off. Fu was just such a cool customer when she showed up and won at age 12/13.

Domshabfan
08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
WORD! :respec:

EDITED TO ADD:
Alberto Tomba and Herman Maier should also have been on that list. They were the stars of their sport.

Totally Agree Maier, Tomba and Bolt should totally be on the list.

FiveRinger
08-20-2011, 04:50 AM
This list lacks diversity, and as a woman I am truly offended that there aren't any women on the list? Billie Jean King? Nadia Comaneci? Jackie Joyner Kersee or Florence Griffith Joyner? None of them? No figure skaters? Really? Bullsh*t!

jenny12
08-21-2011, 04:18 AM
No women and no Usain Bolt. Not cool.

FiveRinger
08-21-2011, 05:08 AM
I just realized that this is posted in GQ magazine, which is probably why no women are on the list.

They should have had a different title to this list because this one is stupid.

DarrellH
08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
I would take Turner off the list.