PDA

View Full Version : The future of korean skating?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

RumbleFish
08-28-2011, 04:55 AM
I really want to see that happen. But for that to happen, they need a rink dedicated for figure skatersí use. Until now Korean figure skaters have to practice at odd hours, and even in those hours they share the rink with speed skaters. How can they have a decent pair or dancing team when they canít secure enough ice time cleared for pairís throws or ice dancerís free skating? Seriously, I envy Georgia and Elene for having that new rink opened.

I hope Yu-Naís efforts for a figure skating rink have a breakthrough, sooner than later. Given the steep prices of land in Korea, she cannot do it alone. Some Korean local government, either the City of Seoul or the Province of Gyounggi, should take an initiative, or at least give a help. So far, none of the politicians or local/government entities, that have called her for their publicity events and photo sessions, has lived up to the promises. :mad:

Aside from training facilities, Korea lacks in number of boys taking up the sport. You may decide to train overseas or just buy your way to more ice time if really needed, but you can't put together pairs or dance team without boys.

I doubt they will put together a decent pair or dance team in time for Pyongchang 2018. Matching what Japanese did with their effort to come up with pairs and ice dance in Nagano 1998 will be a huge success IMO.

Bureaucrats can ponder sitting in their desks all they want, but building pair and dance teams take things that are out of their reach, like lots of time and long-term committment to relationships.

Ziggy
08-29-2011, 02:08 AM
That's a bummer. She has decent qualities and competing on the JGP could facilitate her development. Hopefully, 3 girls will do well and give more spots so a girl like Yeon-Jun can compete next season.

JGP spots are based on JW results.

lakewood
08-29-2011, 02:46 AM
Aside from training facilities, Korea lacks in number of boys taking up the sport. You may decide to train overseas or just buy your way to more ice time if really needed, but you can't put together pairs or dance team without boys.

I doubt they will put together a decent pair or dance team in time for Pyongchang 2018. Matching what Japanese did with their effort to come up with pairs and ice dance in Nagano 1998 will be a huge success IMO.

Bureaucrats can ponder sitting in their desks all they want, but building pair and dance teams take things that are out of their reach, like lots of time and long-term committment to relationships.

KSU may consider the option of giving Korean citizenship to foreign (male) skaters just as Russia did to Kavaguti. (But, I am not sure current Korean law allows it) Russian federation recently decided to give citizenship to a super excellent Korean short tracker for Socchi.

RunnersHigh
08-29-2011, 04:28 AM
KSU may consider the option of giving Korean citizenship to foreign (male) skaters just as Russia did to Kavaguti. (But, I am not sure current Korean law allows it) Russian federation recently decided to give citizenship to a super excellent Korean short tracker for Socchi.

Scott! :swoon:

Marco
08-29-2011, 04:43 AM
These young Korean girls move around quite well for their age. And very impressive to have the big triples, some presence and musicality already.

They seem to be a more hopeful bunch than the Chinese girls at this stage (maybe except Li Zijun).

RumbleFish
08-29-2011, 05:20 AM

In theory, it is definitely possible, but we have to remember that it is the same Korean Federation that squandered one of the most celebrated speed skaters ever to the Russians. I just can't imagine the same incompetent organization pulling the same thing that was done to them. If they had been anything close to capable, Russians would've never been able to snatch away the speed skater.

Only plausible way of Koreans having pairs and ice dance team I can imagine is having the dear leader in the north of demilitarized zone lend their skaters for the games. :shuffle: IIRC, North Koreans had a pair represent them in Torino. I heard that the dear leader :scream: is fond of figure skating, so it could be possible that they have pairs and dance program of some sort.

michelle K
08-29-2011, 05:32 AM
Only plausible way of Koreans having pairs and ice dance team I can imagine is having the dear leader in the north of demilitarized zone lend their skaters for the games. :shuffle: IIRC, North Koreans had a pair represent them in Torino. I heard that the dear leader :scream: is fond of figure skating, so it could be possible that they have pairs and dance program of some sort.

Or two Koreas could be reunified before 2018,,, ;)

RumbleFish
08-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Or two Koreas could be reunified before 2018,,, ;)

It would be nice in some ways, but I wouldn't bet on such dramatic change of events.;)

michelle K
08-29-2011, 05:47 AM
It would be nice in some ways, but I wouldn't bet on such dramatic change of events.;)

On a more serious note, I think Korea can develop a decent ice dancing team with proper planning and support. It's kind of weired Korea has no ice dancing teams now when there used to be at least one ice dancing team (regardless of their skill level) competing internationally in the past.

Pairs, I think, is a really different story. KSU cannot grant citizenship to a foreign skater even if they want to. Anyone here remember Chun-Kun Lee and Kate Slattery? I heard they even wrote a letter to the President but could not get her Korean citizenship. It looks like having a foreign skater representing Korea will require immigration law revisions or making exceptions to the current rules.

RumbleFish
08-29-2011, 06:28 AM
On a more serious note, I think Korea can develop a decent ice dancing team with proper planning and support. It's kind of weired Korea has no ice dancing teams now when there used to be at least one ice dancing team (regardless of their skill level) competing internationally in the past.

Pairs, I think, is a really different story. KSU cannot grant citizenship to a foreign skater even if they want to. Anyone here remember Chun-Kun Lee and Kate Slattery? I heard they even wrote a letter to the President but could not get her Korean citizenship. It looks like having a foreign skater representing Korea will require immigration law revisions or making exceptions to the current rules.

I don't remember their story too well, but I think it was the Korean Federation being unhappy with Lee leaving his Korean partner and choosing to skate with a foreigner rather than a citizenship issue. They could have had them represent Korea in Worlds, though Olympics would have been a different story.

Sulphur
08-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Korea did have a couple of pairs team in the past, and they competed internationally time to time I hear. But last time I heard the federation did not want to force any singles skaters to take up pairs or ice dancing just for the sake of PC 2018. There has been quite a lot of people talking about the possibility of Hyeon Jung Kim doing pairs because she looked very fit for the discipline(tiny, twig-skinny, light feet, and has a decent 3T and 3S), but then she retired. Oh well.

lowtherlore
08-29-2011, 09:14 AM
There were some Korean officials mentioning the possibility of the two Koreas organizing a unified delegation for 2018 as they did in (IIRC) Barcelona Olympics. Wouldnít it be special, if the sides join to make a pair team and skate to the tune of, say, I Donít Know Enough About You, or, Long Live My Dear Leader.

I guess itís unlikely to happen though, since a pair or a dancing team would need years of working together.

RumbleFish
08-29-2011, 10:33 AM
So, the plan would be something like;
1) South Korea gets Hyun-Jung Kim to come out of retirement, and North Korea comes up with a guy.
2) Build a rink somewhere in the demilitarized zone and have them work their little butts off for 6 years.
3) They compete under unified flag of some sort in PC.
4) Skate to I Don’t Know Enough About You for SP, and Long Live My Dear Leader :scream: for LP.
It makes sense to me.:respec::respec:

lowtherlore
08-29-2011, 01:12 PM
So, the plan would be something like;
1) South Korea gets Hyun-Jung Kim to come out of retirement, and North Korea comes up with a guy.
2) Build a rink somewhere in the demilitarized zone and have them work their little butts off for 6 years.
3) They compete under unified flag of some sort in PC.
3) Skate to I Don’t Know Enough About You for SP, and Long Live My Dear Leader :scream: for LP.
It makes sense to me.:respec::respec:

Impeccable!

When they build the rink in DMZ, I would move with them to that pristine land with the best set of mops I could get my hand on, and volunteer to be a human Zamboni. I will work hard. And I believe it could only help my life expectancy. I guess all I need to watch out for is some mines here and there, and some occasional encounter with an unfriendly bear.

As for the SP, I prefer a Krall version to a Lee version, as it's more acidic of the two to better suit the occasion. :D

RumbleFish
08-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Impeccable!

When they build the rink in DMZ, I would move with them to that pristine land with the best set of mops I could get my hand on, and volunteer to be a human Zamboni. I will work hard. And I believe it could only help my life expectancy. I guess all I need to watch out for is some mines here and there, and some occasional encounter with an unfriendly bear.

As for the SP, I prefer a Krall version to a Lee version, as it's more acidic of the two to better suit the occasion. :D

You have my full support. Here it goes.
5) lowtherlore becomes a human zamboni and gets to chose the music in return for the service.:D