PDA

View Full Version : New York Drivers - insurance question

Pages : 1 [2]

oleada
08-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Because she might have a nationwide plan, and I know she's hard to insure, so perhaps she can refer me to someone who gives good rates.

Karina1974
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Because she might have a nationwide plan, and I know she's hard to insure, so perhaps she can refer me to someone who gives good rates.

What a "nationwide" plan?

milanessa
08-16-2011, 08:04 PM
It's been suggested by others up thread so I'll piggyback. You need to contact an independent insurance broker - let them do all this leg/phone work.

GarrAarghHrumph
08-16-2011, 10:25 PM
What a "nationwide" plan?

I don't know what a nationwide plan is. There is no such thing. There are insurers who operate in multiple states including NY, like State Farm. But each plan would be specific to the driver and the driver's state.

I'm thinking Oleada is hoping that if her friend, who is a "troubled driver", is able to get a good rate in MO, that if she uses the same company in NY, her rate may be decent.

Oleada, others have said that you need to contact an independent insurance *broker* in New York. I will emphasize that. An insurance broker doesn't work for any one insurance company, so they will give you a bunch of plans and prices to choose from, all applicable to you, your age, your driving history, your car type, your neighborhood.

oleada
08-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm definitely contacting an independent broker, and I'm also planning to take an online defensive driver course to lower my rates.