PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried couch surfing?

Pages : 1 [2]

orbitz
08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
There has to be someone working on a horror movie about couch surfers who end up on the wrong couch. :lol:

I think films like "Hostels" and "The Human Centipede" are enough to deter me from couch surfing :lol:.

DAngel
08-17-2011, 06:13 PM
I think films like "Hostels" and "The Human Centipede" are enough to deter me from couch surfing :lol:.

I regret looking that up :yikes::scream:

Melanie Z
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the tips. They're looking into the couch surfing website and it's really amazing how many positive reviews I've heard from people. I live in Boulder, CO where it seems to really be catching on.

My problem is that we have budgeted enough for my daughter to stay in hostels the entire trip, but her boyfriend is running tight on money so he can't. I guess they're going to try to stay for 3 nights or so couch surfing at a time, maybe 4 times while they're there to help defray the costs of overnight hostels, or I'm going to have to cough up the money to cover his shortage so I feel better about where my daughter is. Either way, I'm sure they're going to have a great time!

luna_skater
08-17-2011, 08:18 PM
That's an interesting site but if they can't afford a hostel every night how is it helpful to the OP?

Depending on the location and dates needed for accommodation, there's usually quite a range of prices for this kind of thing, and can be cheaper than hostels. I didn't look into the details for the OP's itinerary. The site also includes couch surfing bookings.

milanessa
08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
I didn't look into the details for the OP's itinerary. The site also includes couch surfing bookings.

Don't need details - it's free they're looking for.

It is an interesting site, though. may try a place or two there myself.

dinakt
08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
I have not couch surfed myself, but have very close friends who frequently host couch surfers from Europe ( in the US) and used to travel that way, as well. To my knowledge, it never got dangerous for them, either traveling or hosting, and often it was very pleasant (they are a family with a teenage daughter, so they don't want dangerous either). They engaged in extensive e-mailing with potential travelers, to make sure they have a good match. They had some lovely visitors from Europe whom I met, several times just two young women traveling together, so I don't have a bad feeling about a young couple using that service. That said, I think communication with the potential host is essential, and if there is any kind of "weird vibe" going on, it's best to opt out.
Good luck to your daughter and her BF in their travels!
PS. I think Ajax's advice was right on.

genevieve
08-17-2011, 11:56 PM
this sounds really fascinating. I don't know if I'm up for full monty couchsurfing, but I will be taking a trip later this year and may look into meeting up with some hosts.

I was also surprised at how positive the reviews seem to be - it is a really cool idea, I just assume that there would be a lot more gross pervs trying to horn in [/cynical]

Artemis@BC
08-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Somewhat OT but ... just came across this (http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2011/08/03/mooching-houseguest/) from one of my favourite time-wasting web sites, Passive-Aggressive Notes. :lol:

genevieve
08-25-2011, 12:44 AM
I signed up on the couchsurfing site, and there happened to be a local get together a few blocks from my house last weekend so I went.

It kind of reminded me of FSU meetups....minus the sequins ;)

overedge
08-25-2011, 12:59 AM
It kind of reminded me of FSU meetups....minus the sequins ;)

No sequins? How dull :drama:

Hedwig
08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
couch surfing is really nice. There is a monthly meet-up in my town as well from people who provide beds.
I had a few guests as well already.
It is a great way to travel. Better than hostels if you want to visit the city because you get tips from your host.
It is usually expected that you bring a small present to your host.

I usually don't use it myself when I travel because I want to be very flexible. With couch surfing you have to be very considerate of your host of course and cannot just expect to find a waiting host 24h for instance.

I wouldn't worry about it! They will have a a great time with it. :)

kalamalka
08-26-2011, 03:07 AM
I haven't joined couchsurfing, but have hosted a number of people through another hospitality-sharing group, hospitalityclub.org, and always had a good experience. I've also connected with people through the site when planning trips, and had meals or spent days with hosts. I agree with the advice to read people's profiles and look at comments from previous guests and/or hosts carefully (particularly for a very young couple) - and also that it is better not to look at it as just a free place to stay, but rather as a way to connect with locals and meet some interesting people during your travels - usually people who either travel a lot themselves or like to meet people from other parts of the world, if not both. For anyone who likes people, I'd say go for it.
It's also a good idea to plan to mix it up between hostels and couchsurfing/hospitality club - both because there may be places that either the hostel or the hospitality option is particularly attractive, and because in one you meet fellow travellers, and in the other you meet locals.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-26-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't have anything of substance to say other than my friend is registered on the couch surfing website and I got to meet really nice looking British dudes in the process.