PDA

View Full Version : An Evening With Champions-October 15th and 16th

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

SaSherka
08-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Wow, really? Yu-Na must be quite a magnet! The only time I remember the show was sold out a few days before was when there were Kulik, Gordeeva, TTMM and maaany others. I think it was 2004 or 2006? It was also raining heavily on the show day and many ticketholders didn't show up, so people who were waiting in the rain got in.

I also think "sold-out-in-a-week+" is a marketing ploy to get more sponsorship tickets sold. It is quite possible that the regular ticket allocation was decreased this year. I don't think there's going to be an issue of getting tickets on show day if the sponsorship packages are unsold.

sk9tingfan
08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I also think "sold-out-in-a-week+" is a marketing ploy to get more sponsorship tickets sold. It is quite possible that the regular ticket allocation was decreased this year. I don't think there's going to be an issue of getting tickets on show day if the sponsorship packages are unsold.

I may be all wet, but I wouldn't be surprised to drive into the Bright Arena parking lot and see a bus in the parking lot, carrying a number of Northeast-based Korean YuNa fans who would be coming up just to see her skate. Sort of reminiscent of what transpired during Skate America 2009 in Lake Placid.

SaSherka
08-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I may be all wet, but I wouldn't be surprised to drive into the Bright Arena parking lot and see a bus in the parking lot, carrying a number of Northeast-based Korean YuNa fans who would be coming up just to see her skate. Sort of reminiscent of what transpired during Skate America 2009 in Lake Placid.
The '09 LP uberfans were nicely contained in the upper seats :lol: I don't think a couple buses make much difference at the BH arena though, plus I sincerely hope they get sponsorship or special group tickets. :)

query5
08-24-2011, 03:53 PM
i guess they got what they wanted, sold out, higher prices i guess they was only before 15. to 25. now just 25.
i guess they needed money badly, otherwise why pay outside u.s. skater more than willing to pay for u.s skaters who wanted to skate in show.

good luck to all to see her.
comes down to money for the sport doesn't it.
as bus i can see, because on yu-na forum some was thinking of coming due to low ticket price. so yes i can see a charter bus.

Lookingood
08-24-2011, 04:42 PM
I have a no idea what this Query5 trying to say but,anyway I got the Ticket =D

query5
08-24-2011, 04:50 PM
i am glad everyone has the ticket.
hope you have fun.
however in the past their was ticket ranges, in the past the show (i think , turned down some american skaters because they wouldn't pay them the rate, however due to yu-na being a foreigner, ogm they i guess paid her rate.

personally, i don't think it is fair they pair other countries their rate, not american skaters who needed the money and exposure after not before they won titles, and /or ogm medals and or national titles.
i think it is a disagrace when i hear, see on websites such as this they turned down american skaters because they wouldn't pay the rate.
i don't think yu-na is doing this for free.

query5
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
also i heard, saw on websites such as these they needed money and was low on money. ( i don't know if it is true) but i saw they was low and haven't been getting the responses they would like . people in the stands etc.

lakewood
08-24-2011, 04:58 PM

No, there will be no such thing, I am sure.

sk9tingfan
08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
i am glad everyone has the ticket.
hope you have fun.
however in the past their was ticket ranges, in the past the show (i think , turned down some american skaters because they wouldn't pay them the rate, however due to yu-na being a foreigner, ogm they i guess paid her rate.

personally, i don't think it is fair they pair other countries their rate, not american skaters who needed the money and exposure after not before they won titles, and /or ogm medals and or national titles.
i think it is a disagrace when i hear, see on websites such as this they turned down american skaters because they wouldn't pay the rate.
i don't think yu-na is doing this for free.

Remember that the proceeds associated with this event go to The Jimmy Fund which provides money for research into and the treatment of cancer both for children and adults at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. The object is to keep operating costs as low as possible, hence the use primarily of local skaters who most probably donate their services gratis net of their expenses for food and travel. As far as YuNa is concerned, no one can determine if she is getting an appearance fee except for the event managers, but I tend to doubt it.

Tickets have always been sold at this fee level in order to keep this event accessible to the general public and not just skating fans. In addition, there probably are increased costs with footing the bill for out of town skaters, i.e. YuNa and the Shibutanis

starbucks
08-24-2011, 06:15 PM
All the skaters donate their time. Harvard provides housing for the skaters at no cost. The event is organized entirely by students, who work very hard and are not paid. The cost of putting on the event is very low and nearly all the money collected goes to the Jimmy Fund, which provides cancer care and research for children and adults. Evening with Champions has raised over $2.5 million for the Jimmy Fund over the years.

sk9tingfan
08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
All the skaters donate their time. Harvard provides housing for the skaters at no cost. The event is organized entirely by students, who work very hard and are not paid. The cost of putting on the event is very low and nearly all the money collected goes to the Jimmy Fund, which provides cancer care and research for children and adults. Evening with Champions has raised over $2.5 million for the Jimmy Fund over the years.

Which is why I support it every year with a sponsor-level contribution if I can afford it. This is as Starbucks points out, a charity event as opposed to just a "show". And the Eliot House Harvard students do a bang up job of it!

skatingfan5
08-24-2011, 06:47 PM
I think that query5 must be confusing the "Evening with Champions" benefit shows with some other skating event with her comments about fees paid to skaters.

jatale
08-24-2011, 11:23 PM
All proceeds from this show go to charity. Harvard provides the rink, the skaters provide their time, the audience gets a good show at an affordable price. The only possible expenditure from revenue would be to provide transportation for the skaters to come to Boston (coach tickets I'm quite sure). Yuna, of course, will pay her own way I'm quite sure.

I attended the event for a number of years in the late 1970's and during the 1980's. I always had a good time. I don't remember the event ever being completely sold out, but they had good attendance. Yuna's appearance has almost certainly set a sold-out time record, it took just one week! All the sponsorship tickets will be sold too, I feel quite sure. This is a real coup for the student organizing committee! I wonder how they got the idea to invite Yuna? Well, they all deserve medals because these two sold-out shows will raise a lot of money for cancer research. Good job!

RunnersHigh
08-25-2011, 01:11 AM
I bet she will do that for free as she did before.

oakl0008
08-25-2011, 09:09 PM
It would be great if Shawn Sawyer created an exhibition out of last season's Alice in Wonderland freeskate for this show. :)