PDA

View Full Version : An Evening With Champions-October 15th and 16th

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Tammi
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Are Protopopovs still skating?We watched them practicing at Lake Placid a few weeks ago. They still have it.

Shaia
08-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I've never been into show skating too much, but would kill to attend this one.

I hope Yuna makes a good impression to Ludmila and Oleg, and invite them for her shows next year. Her fans need to see what a classic elegance on ice really is. :swoon:

Heh, sorry, but no thank you. No offense, but I would rather watch a 16-year old Krystal in mini-skirt perform to Carmen than watch a skater who performed in the 1960's (I just looked them up and Mr. Protopopov is now 79 years old!!).

If they can still skate though, that is absolutely awesome :)

skatesindreams
08-15-2011, 04:01 PM
^^^
Please watch this:

2005 Evening With Champions The Protopopov's with encore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rbf3lURTrw

l'etoile
08-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Heh, sorry, but no thank you. No offense, but I would rather watch a 16-year old Krystal in mini-skirt perform to Carmen than watch a skater who performed in the 1960's (I just looked them up and Mr. Protopopov is now 79 years old!!).

If they can still skate though, that is absolutely awesome :)

that's kinda rude :slinkaway Still, they're oly champions-multiple-, and their being is the history of FS.

We watched them practicing at Lake Placid a few weeks ago. They still have it.

This could be the answer you're looking for.

l'etoile
08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
^^^
Please watch this:

2005 Evening With Champions The Protopopov's with encore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rbf3lURTrw

Wow they still skate darn good! the lifts are surprising at the same time amazing. thanks for the link.

RumbleFish
08-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Though I'm a fan of Yuna's competitive skating, I frankly think her shows and some of her routines in them are cringeworthy. :slinkaway

At the same time, good for Yuna for making tons of money and good for her fans having lots of fun. :)

Shaia
08-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Saw the video. That is quite amazing...

Sorry if my statement was rude, but I was reacting to one particular statement, which I still find very condescending.

sk9tingfan
08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Though I'm a fan of Yuna's competitive skating, I frankly think her shows and some of her routines in them are cringeworthy. :slinkaway

No need to slink away. I quite agree with you. I went to Festa on Ice in 2009 and was underwhelmed by her skating over a three night period. That's in direct contrast to my assessment of what she does in competition(I'm a huge fan), i.e. The Olympics, etc. She has a tendency to come off somewhat flat in exhibitions

I couldn't help but compare her performance with that of Michelle Kwan, the first time Michelle skated in All That Skate the summer of 2009. While YuNa's program content might have been marginally more difficult than Michelle, from an artistry standpoint, Michelle blew her out of the water!

sk9tingfan
08-15-2011, 05:14 PM
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110815&content_id=23238502&vkey=ice_news

Shaia
08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Tendency to come off somewhat flat in exhibitions??! LOL. Hello, did you even see ATS Summer show that just went on?

Yuna brings more artistry, flare, style and passion to her exhibition than any other contemporary female skater, and since you brought up the comparison, I will note that I saw Michelle in person at ATS summer 2010 twice (where Michelle and Yuna even performed the Hero duet), and while Michelle was good, Yuna was better.

l'etoile
08-15-2011, 05:49 PM
okay, again, people think this, people think that.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110815&content_id=23238502&vkey=ice_news

forgot to mention, thanks for the link and info sk9tingfan!

sk9tingfan
08-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Tendency to come off somewhat flat in exhibitions??! LOL. Hello, did you even see ATS Summer show that just went on?

Yuna brings more artistry, flare, style and passion to her exhibition than any other contemporary female skater, and since you brought up the comparison, I will note that I saw Michelle in person at ATS summer 2010 twice (where Michelle and Yuna even performed the Hero duet), and while Michelle was good, Yuna was better.

My experience was more than two years ago. I haven't had the time to watch the videos associated with the latest show. I'll grant that she probalby has evolved and matured.

RumbleFish
08-15-2011, 06:36 PM
No need to slink away. I quite agree with you. I went to Festa on Ice in 2009 and was underwhelmed by her skating over a three night period. That's in direct contrast to my assessment of what she does in competition(I'm a huge fan), i.e. The Olympics, etc. She has a tendency to come off somewhat flat in exhibitions

I couldn't help but compare her performance with that of Michelle Kwan, the first time Michelle skated in All That Skate the summer of 2009. While YuNa's program content might have been marginally more difficult than Michelle, from an artistry standpoint, Michelle blew her out of the water!

I slunked away, (do I have the english right? :lol:) because I know some Yuna fans have hard time digesting constructive criticisms.

I actually have plenty of criticisms for Yuna's shows and her show skating, but I will save them for latter opportunities since I don't wish to hijack this thread any further.

Any how, forthcoming show looks great and I hope everyone attending get to see lots of great skating.

riveredge
08-15-2011, 07:25 PM
jezuz Shaia... i think even Yuna would admit that some of her exhibitions are cheesy... :lol: One of her recent interviews she said that Meditation De Thais is her favorite ex..so.. i do hope she will do more of this than skating to pop songs..

LilJen
08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I have been trying for YEARS to get my MIL to go to this (she's about a 3-hr drive from Boston), but health problems have intervened. I'm pushing it this year now that she's doing pretty well!! Plus she totally loves "artsy" skaters like Shawn Sawyer.