PDA

View Full Version : An Evening With Champions-October 15th and 16th

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Sylvia
10-18-2011, 01:05 AM
I really enjoyed Christina's skating:swoon: Was it her SP?
Yes, Gao's SP music is Lucia Micarelli's violin version of "To Love You More" (Celine Dion).

snoopysnake
10-18-2011, 01:33 AM
There is no video of Ross Miner? :((

Ross skated Saturday (to a cover version of Elton John's "Your Song") but he did not skate on Sunday. I did spot him outside after the Sunday show, however. Not sure why he only skated on Saturday.

ioana
10-18-2011, 02:45 AM
I started to upload my own videos. Jessica Lin is first up and will try to upload everyone else whose program isn't up yet. And, yes, the pole literaryfreak and I sat next to is quite a star in all the videos :P.

Jessica Lin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qp-pEAIyaU)

Harrison Choate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Zk_PXZC4M) I need to explain the random cut-away to Andrew Speroff doing nothing. He was jamming and posing along with Harrison, but by the time I decided to start filming him he just stopped --the nerve!

Shibutanis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcjVI4JOG1)

Emily Hughes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWSy0IjPE8Q)

Stephen Carriere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmfPxZjggkY)

Castelli & Shnapir (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hcE2Pkdgs) Pole got in the way of their headbanger, so people can stop covering their eyes for that part of the program =). I think they've come a long way as a pair and look like strong contenders for Worlds. Paul Wylie said "my daughter's never doing that!" in reference to their headbanger. Does she skate -obviously, not pairs?

Yasmin Siraj (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHSuXW1H4tE) I was impressed she tried and rotated a 3lutz with the iffy spotlights

RumbleFish
10-18-2011, 03:20 AM
And I am continued to be amazed by your spectacular taste. May your inner Oksana live long and forever.

I prefer to see Oksana who was being true to herself by doing her best within capabilities. If you consider this as my 'taste', I'll let you be.

BTW, Oksana Baiul was one of the all time best performers in ladies skating. She charmed the audience like no other, so much that conservative ISU judges had no choice but to reward her the world title on her international debut season. Sorry to say that your favorite cannot tie her bootlaces as far as performance abilities are concered in my opinion.

tlk
10-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks everyone for posting the videos!

os168
10-18-2011, 03:31 AM
I prefer to see Oksana who was being true to herself by doing her best within capabilities. If you consider this as my 'taste', I'll let you be.

I am familiar with Oksana and appreciated her magic from the Olympics and her Swan programs. I am also aware and sympathize of the personal difficult time she has had from the locals at the Lexington rink where she worked. I do appreciate her and was looking forward to the performance, but what i saw was totally unexpected.

And for the record, contrary to the top head liner of Yuna Kim, in the official program it was Oksana who was featured on the 1st page, which indicate the complete respect from the organisation and the skaters likely to include Yuna herself of her. However - as an Asian who is sensitive to the different nationality traits and history, I found the pastiche program not to my taste.

jatale
10-18-2011, 03:49 AM
I loved Oksana's routine at EWC, she skated beautifully and with feeling IMO. I admire her a lot especially considering all the difficulties she has had in her life. I'm sure her tribute to Asian culture was a genuine effort on her part too. Her skate was one of the highlights of EWC for me.

RumbleFish
10-18-2011, 03:55 AM
I am familiar with Oksana and appreciated her magic from the Olympics and her Swan programs. I am also aware and sympathize of the personal difficult time she has had from the locals at the Lexington rink where she worked. I do appreciate her and was looking forward to the performance, but what i saw was totally unexpected.

And for the record, contrary to the top head liner of Yuna Kim, in the official program it was Oksana who was featured on the 1st page, which indicate the complete respect from the organisation and the skaters likely to include Yuna herself of her. However - as an Asian who is sensitive to the different nationality traits and history, I found the pastiche program not to my taste and actually if it is performed in Asia, it would cause even more uproar than you taking offense at Yuna's Fever.

I would cut Oksana some slack even if her Asian rendition wasn't polished in Asian eyes. It's been close to 18 years since she retired from competitions, and AFAIK, she has been off the ice for a good while.

Whatever she did, it was undoubtedly from goodwill, and it must have cost her a small fortune to prepare all the costumes. At least she was diplomatic enough in taking her time to prepare costumes that represent all 3 northeast Asian countries. :)

As for YNK's Fever, I am not the only one who is being critical. Just look around the boards if you have doubts.

Cherub721
10-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Thanks Sasha for the vids! :)

Can anyone ID the music of the Protopopovs... sounds so familiar...

os168
10-18-2011, 04:57 AM
I loved Oksana's routine at EWC, she skated beautifully and with feeling IMO. I admire her a lot especially considering all the difficulties she has had in her life. I'm sure her tribute to Asian culture was a genuine effort on her part too. Her skate was one of the highlights of EWC for me.

I would cut Oksana some slack even if her Asian rendition wasn't polished in Asian eyes. It's been close to 18 years since she retired from competitions, and AFAIK, she has been off the ice for a good while.

Whatever she did, it was undoubtedly from goodwill, and it must have cost her a small fortune to prepare all the costumes. At least she was diplomatic enough in taking her time to prepare costumes that represent all 3 northeast Asian countries. :)

As for YNK's Fever, I am not the only one who is being critical. Just look around the boards if you have doubts.

You know what ? May be I should have kept the feelings to myself given this is a charity event and everyone did offer their valuable time and efforts.

But at the same time, I thought this is an open forum where constructive comments can be shared. If all work done in sincerity is enough, then there wouldn't be any need for feedbacks or improvements.

IMO Oksana is better than her program I saw, I wish people around her will be frank with her about it, especially if she is seriously thinking of PROs. I wouldn't like to see a legend like her turned into a pantomime.

As for YNK's fever, people are going to be critical no matter what, it comes with the territory. If you can't take it, you can't make it. I do however have problem of you calling her a prostitute. If you still don't get it, you never will.

Louise
10-18-2011, 04:59 AM

Ditto, thanks for posting these vids. I'm not sure what that music is. The recording sounds like something from the 60s or 70s, definitely something you'd have heard on Lawrence Welk.

I am in awe that they are still skating. He's 79 and she's about to turn 76. The whole time I was thinking "Oh dear god, please do not let him lift her!". I was so nervous that they would take a fall and break a hip, since they weren't going very fast and the quickest way is straight down.

Also, it was nice to see Rachael just skate. The music is brilliant, so all she had to do was just tag along for the ride and not interrupt it with her bee swatting and head rolling.

RD
10-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Bee swatting??? dear god, oh man...you guys :lol:

os168
10-18-2011, 05:19 AM

It is an jazzy big band rendition of the song "I could have danced all night" from the Hepburn film My Fair Lady.

RumbleFish
10-18-2011, 05:28 AM
As for YNK's fever, people are going to be critical no matter what, it comes with the territory. If you can't take it, you can't make it. I do however have problem of you calling her a prostitute. If you still don't get it, you never will.

Oh boy. :( Let me reiterate.
I have NEVER called anyone a prostitute.

I did, however, say that nature of the routine could make her look like one. It's just my observation, and I don't see why you should make such a big deal out of it.

os168
10-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Oh boy. :( Let me reiterate.
I have NEVER called anyone a prostitute.

I did, however, say that nature of the routine could make her look like one. It's just my observation, and I don't see why you should make such a big deal out of it.

I am a girl actually. And do you really want to play word games? Ok, it is just my observation the nature of what you said could make you look like a self righteous uptight prick, but there's no need to make a big deal about it :rolleyes: