PDA

View Full Version : What is Anton Sikharulidze doing these days?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Andrushka
08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Aren't they always?

Not always lol but this one is :)

quiqie
10-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Wedding pictures: http://www.trendspace.ru/specpro/35303.html

Ajax
10-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the link. Those are great pictures! Looks like a beautiful wedding and I adore the cake :lol: Just looking at the bride's heels is making my feet ache though! How did she dance on those??

I wonder if Elena was there? I saw a pic of Tamara but not Elena.

lauravvv
10-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Elena was skating in some silly shows (can't remember the names) with unknown skaters who were not high level skaters.
Well, the men with whom she skated in 'Ice Age' shows were not skaters at all - one of them was a popular (in Russia) comic actor, the other was a former actor and a well known TV personality. Also, in my opinion, those shows were not that silly at all - in any case, the level (especially the artistic level of the performances/choreographies and so on) was a lot higher than in the American 'Skating With The Stars' (or however it was called). Actually, the artistic level was high for any skating show. And there is no other skating show in the world where celebrities, who are not professional skaters, have almost six months to learn skating, and almost four months (from those six) during which they prepare a new (technically, choreographically and artistically complicated) program each week. Plus - most of the skaters there were either World, or even Olympic champions. And all of them put a lot of work both in teaching the celebrities, and in making their programs. Not to mention that those shows and the following huge (Russian) tour are practically the only opportunity to see all those great skaters on ice, as well as almost the only source of income to them, and the way to keep in form and to realize their creative ideas. So, pretty serious, in my opinion.

In the American 'Thin Ice' show she skated with David Pelletier, not with some "unknown" skater.

Anyway, congratulations to Anton Sikharulidze and his new wife :).

Coco
10-25-2011, 03:14 AM
LOL, love the cake :) And I never thought I'd say this about a bride, but I love her tatoo.

Moka-Ananas
10-25-2011, 03:20 AM
She is so beautiful and extremely awesome.
I love this coupling.

jenniferlyon
10-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Elena participated in several of the "Skating with Celebrities" shows, but Anton did a few of those, too. I was pretty sure Elena spends a great deal of time in Russia, but I might be wrong.

When Elena had her second child, I saw some photos online of her bringing the baby home. Her little boy and her mother were standing outside their home. They were definitely in St. Petersburg. But this was awhile ago, so I don't know if they have moved since then.

Does anyone know if Anton still owns the Sphinx restaurant?

Vash01
10-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Well, the men with whom she skated in 'Ice Age' shows were not skaters at all - one of them was a popular (in Russia) comic actor, the other was a former actor and a well known TV personality. Also, in my opinion, those shows were not that silly at all - in any case, the level (especially the artistic level of the performances/choreographies and so on) was a lot higher than in the American 'Skating With The Stars' (or however it was called). Actually, the artistic level was high for any skating show. And there is no other skating show in the world where celebrities, who are not professional skaters, have almost six months to learn skating, and almost four months (from those six) during which they prepare a new (technically, choreographically and artistically complicated) program each week. Plus - most of the skaters there were either World, or even Olympic champions. And all of them put a lot of work both in teaching the celebrities, and in making their programs. Not to mention that those shows and the following huge (Russian) tour are practically the only opportunity to see all those great skaters on ice, as well as almost the only source of income to them, and the way to keep in form and to realize their creative ideas. So, pretty serious, in my opinion.

In the American 'Thin Ice' show she skated with David Pelletier, not with some "unknown" skater.

Anyway, congratulations to Anton Sikharulidze and his new wife :).

I hated 'skating with the stars'. I did not watch it after the first show. I don't care for those kinds of programs. I don't even care for show skating (like 'xxx on ice') and even those are more serious than these cheesefests! I need to stick with competition skating.

Vash01
10-25-2011, 06:20 AM

Great pictures! Thanks for the link. I wish them a lot of happiness together.

I don't find her beautiful at all. May be I am comparing her with Elena's beauty and I should not. Happiness in marriage does not depend on outer looks.

PetraP
10-25-2011, 07:10 AM
When Elena had her second child, I saw some photos online of her bringing the baby home. Her little boy and her mother were standing outside their home. They were definitely in St. Petersburg. But this was awhile ago, so I don't know if they have moved since then.

Does anyone know if Anton still owns the Sphinx restaurant?

Elena, Steven and the two kids moved to England and the Sphinx restaurant does not exist anymore in St. Petersburg.

briancoogaert
10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the links, Nan, but in these they are just a shadow of their past- nowhere close to the gorgeous pair they once were. I hate that outfit on Elena, and I am really tired of their Chaplin programs. I prefer watching their old tapes to enjoy the beautiful skating in the past.
Which is normal since they don't really practice together.
At least, this is good to have the chance to see them. Many skaters don't skate anymore in shows. :(

lauravvv
10-25-2011, 04:14 PM
I hated 'skating with the stars'. I did not watch it after the first show. I don't care for those kinds of programs.
Well, as I said, 'Ice Age' was something totally different than 'Skating With The Stars' (although I must admit that I didn't watch more than just some fragments of that). At least I wouldn't call it a "cheesefest", except some particularly unsuccessful programs :rolleyes: (unfortunately there's no show and no competition without them), but other programs made up for those.

I don't even care for show skating (like 'xxx on ice') and even those are more serious than these cheesefests! I need to stick with competition skating.
I pity you - seriously. And no smiley smiles. It's true that for many skaters exhibition programs are just something secondary, something they must do because it's accepted and to stay in good favour with the general public. But there are some skaters for whom it's an opportunity to realize their artistic aspirations, also an opporunity to skate with no pressure and with more freedom and, consequently, with more expression. And there are skaters who reach their artistic peak only after going into professionals. They are the ones because of whom I watch show skating. But it's obvious that you're one of those people who don't really care about the artistic aspect of skating, and that's why I pity you. I am also interested in competition and the "big'' technical elements, but that is not all that there is in figure skating.

I also agree that sometimes it's a bit painful to watch skaters who have been great, but have lost their form totally. It happens to those who don't train regularly, or to pairs who rarely skate together, like Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze. A partial loss of the technical level can be compensated with interesting, artistically challenging programs, where good choreography replaces some of the most difficult technical elements. Of course, skaters need to maintain some technical mastery to be able to realize their ideas and to skate those artistically challenging programs. And, for that, they need to train and skate in shows regularly. Otherwise, they become like Ilia Kulik - skating around the rink from one simple jumps to the next, with some "sexy" posing in-between, with no steps and no real choreography (a sad site, indeed :(). Amateur skaters and their exhibition programs are another story, of course. Often, they have the technical ability, but no time and no wish to really put it to use in exhibition programs.

Vash01
10-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Well, as I said, 'Ice Age' was something totally different than 'Skating With The Stars' (although I must admit that I didn't watch more than just some fragments of that). At least I wouldn't call it a "cheesefest", except some particularly unsuccessful programs :rolleyes: (unfortunately there's no show and no competition without them), but other programs made up for those.

I pity you - seriously. And no smiley smiles. It's true that for many skaters exhibition programs are just something secondary, something they must do because it's accepted and to stay in good favour with the general public. But there are some skaters for whom it's an opportunity to realize their artistic aspirations, also an opporunity to skate with no pressure and with more freedom and, consequently, with more expression. And there are skaters who reach their artistic peak only after going into professionals. They are the ones because of whom I watch show skating. But it's obvious that you're one of those people who don't really care about the artistic aspect of skating, and that's why I pity you. I am also interested in competition and the "big'' technical elements, but that is not all that there is in figure skating.

How quickly you jump to conclusions! In the past I had enjoyed many of the exhibition programs by very good skaters, who explored non-competition /artistic aspect of skating. The ones I am referring to are the cheap ones we are seeing a lot of more recently, and yes most of them are cheesefests. I have the right to dislike cheapening of a great art called figure skating.

I pity you because you judge another person on so little information.

Civic
10-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Elena, Steven and the two kids moved to England and the Sphinx restaurant does not exist anymore in St. Petersburg.

Congrats to Anton and his new bride. I wish them happiness.

Are Elena and Steven coaching? From what I've read, British skating could benefit from their expertise.

lauravvv
10-25-2011, 05:51 PM
How quickly you jump to conclusions! In the past I had enjoyed many of the exhibition programs by very good skaters, who explored non-competition /artistic aspect of skating. The ones I am referring to are the cheap ones we are seeing a lot of more recently, and yes most of them are cheesefests. I have the right to dislike cheapening of a great art called figure skating.

I pity you because you judge another person on so little information.
I am truly sorry if that is so. I guess I've just encountered too many people who really are not interested in the artistic part of figure skating. That's why I sometimes jump to conlusions so quickly after reading a statement like "I don't care for show skating". I must say that I understand your point of view, though. There are so many empty programs that are meant to be entertaining, but are so badly done, that they are not even that. On the other hand, there are also well done entertaining programs with good choreography. I am not one of those people who accept only serious programs with serious music, and only the "big" art. I am not against well made entertaining, sexy or comic programs with un-serious pop music. I just want to see actual choreography and some awareness of the music in them. Plus, there are entertaining/comic programs where acting skills are needed. If a skater has charismatic personality and presentation skills, it helps, of course.

A good example is a show like 'All That Skate' in Korea. It's all about entertainment, but only skaters of the highest level take part in it (except some local Korean skaters), and it can be felt - not just on the technical level. Those who can't perform are simply not invited to this show. Some entertainment programs of those skaters look better than the "artistic aspirations" of some lower level skaters. It's not like making and performing a good entertainment program doesn't take any skills. Of course, there are exceptions - really empty programs that skaters try to fill up with their charisma (sometimes more, sometimes less successfully). But there are other exceptions, where entertainment and art are combined - like in Kurt Browning's 'Steppin' Out' program. And sometimes we see serious programs - art made with the intention to move people and to make them think, not to simply entertain them.

Anyway, although I love artistic programs most of all, I also love to watch an entertaining show like 'ATS' from time to time. Probably in your eyes 'All That Skate' would be one of the biggest cheesefests in the world. And probably that is where we are different, and why I still can enjoy show skating, while you can't.