PDA

View Full Version : Can Ilinykh and Katsalapov win Olympic Gold in 2014?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

briancoogaert
08-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Why not, they are really good !
But honestly, I prefer Virtue and Moir and I hope those two will continue and win in Socchi !

Mayra
08-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I think they'll be getting a huge push by their federation heading towards Sochi, and with their talent level I can easily see them atop the podium in 2014.

A lot depends on how well they develop under Morozov, but assuming the federation sends :secret: to monitor their progress, I don't think it will be a problem.

Vash01
08-17-2011, 09:51 PM
If V&M and/or D&W are still around in 2014, I find it difficult for I&K to win the OGM.

judgejudy27
08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Virtue & Moir and Davis & White are probably going to go down as 2 of the best teams of all time, even if I am not crazy about Davis & White artistically speaking. It is hard to see either of those teams headed by any of the up and comers until after 2014 atleast (if there is even a chance either continue past 2014 which seems unlikely).

millipied
08-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Virtue & Moir and Davis & White are probably going to go down as 2 of the best teams of all time, even if I am not crazy about Davis & White artistically speaking. It is hard to see either of those teams headed by any of the up and comers until after 2014 atleast (if there is even a chance either continue past 2014 which seems unlikely).
:confused::rolleyes:

dinakt
08-17-2011, 10:26 PM
I think Gold is unlikely, but if they work like dogs and are a little lucky, they could medal.
I am not worried about Katsalapov yet- I think he has great skills and great musicality, and that he got "spooked" at Moscow's Worlds due to lack of international experience and a relatively young age ( he said he could not hear the music... surely next time he'll better prepared to ignore the distractions). Not everybody is born unflappable, it could be learned to a degree. After all, our current World Champion got carried away on his twizzles a few times throughout the years- and yet he is a great skater overall. Hopefully Moscow experience will make I/K stronger, that's all.

VarBar
08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
I can easily see them atop the podium in 2014.

RumbleFish
08-18-2011, 03:23 AM

I'm willing to bet my house on that Davis & White will not go down as of the best Ice Dance couples.

bek
08-18-2011, 06:22 AM

I/K will have to improve tremendously technically in order to compete with Davis/White, and Virtue/Moir. Easier said than done. But if they can improve technically, I think artistically they can be a factor. They have a very different style from the other two teams, and I think the judges might go for it. This year is going to really tell the tale in terms of where they are at.

a56
08-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm willing to bet my house on that Davis & White will not go down as of the best Ice Dance couples.
Totally agree. I just never cared for them, and they're not one of the best ice dance couples ever.

To the thread question, absolutely they can win the Olympic gold.

Vash01
08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
It's possible that V&M and D&W could decline by 2014, or could have an injury (I hope not!) that could slow them down. That would open the door for I&K and the Shibutanis and may be a few more dance teams. However, ice dance over the years has consistently gone with champions that are still around. So I think other teams may have to wait until 2018. The race may be for the Olympic bronze right now, for the younger teams.

julieann
08-19-2011, 06:22 PM
If you look at the Olympic podium from 2006 to 2010 it is unrecognizable. I think the same thing can happen from 2010 to 2014. I think only B/A and D/S were around in 2006 in the top 10. So predicting the podium this early is at least fun but that's about it, I think seeing if some of the couples stay together is the key.

caseyedwards
08-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Actually, that's one thing about the move to Morosov that's positive. Throughout the season we saw those little errors that seemed to be from lack of concentration/confidence. Morosov is terrific at instilling confidence (Takahashi said that's how he benefited from him, and I think Amodio's a pretty great example too, though arguably Amodio had confidence in spades already). That and generally, his skaters turn up well trained to their events. If they have those, I wouldn't be surprised to see them threaten for the podium despite the relative brevity of their partnership (In Vancouver, you'd have to go to Cappellini-Lannotte in 12th to find a partnership as short as I/K's would be in Sochi).

Morozov will fix his problem of concentration I am sure. His skaters are prepared very well.

Hope you are right. They wont be able to get a medal in Sochi if they have hiccups and then the Sochi podium might be like the world podium with Davis and White and the Shibutani's and a Canadian team or a third U.S. team.

Jenna
08-19-2011, 07:22 PM

What's this? I completely agree with judgejudy.

:eek: :yikes: :lol:

V/M and D/W are both great, and obviously, the best of Ice Dance right now. I think they'll both go down as some of the best of all time.

Vash01
08-19-2011, 08:00 PM
What's this? I completely agree with judgejudy.

:eek: :yikes: :lol:

V/M and D/W are both great, and obviously, the best of Ice Dance right now. I think they'll both go down as some of the best of all time.

That's worthy of :ROFL !

ETA: I don't mean your opinion on the topic, but that you and Judge Judy agreed on something. :lol