PDA

View Full Version : Can Ilinykh and Katsalapov win Olympic Gold in 2014?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

l'etoile
08-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Then no offence taken. Sorry if I misunderstood. :)

:rollin: well I was the one being silly making inappropriate jokes.;)

morqet
08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Anything can happen. Who honestly thought in 2007 that V/M would be in a position to win gold in 2010 given all the teams that were ahead of them at that time? I think we have seen in the last few years that ice dance teams no longer have to "wait their turn" the way they did under 6.0, and if they are given the right training and manage to stay injury free I think I/K will certainly be contenders in Sochi.

Libertango
08-15-2011, 12:40 PM
I agree that anything can happen. Seriously who would have thought that B/A would have been 3rd at Worlds in 2006 after winning the silver medal at the OG? And that they would pretty much be a non factor at 2010?

I/K really need to step up on the technical side of their performances. Their lifts looked juniorish this year IMO! I think they rely too much on their IT factor. At Worlds in 2007 V&M already had the third highest TES in the FD. Their scores (PCS) grew during the 07-08 because they kept on delivering clean performances. PCS come with high TES not the other way around with COP.

Proustable
08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Anything can happen. Who honestly thought in 2007 that V/M would be in a position to win gold in 2010 given all the teams that were ahead of them at that time? I think we have seen in the last few years that ice dance teams no longer have to "wait their turn" the way they did under 6.0, and if they are given the right training and manage to stay injury free I think I/K will certainly be contenders in Sochi.

The B. Eurosport guys said, after D/W performed their FD in 2007, that V/M and D/W could go 1-2 in Vancouver.

That said, those two teams benefited from a vacuum at the top: two retirements (DenStav, D/L) and two futher injuries (DomShabs, DelSchoes) as well as being the first generation under COP, so it was far more natural to them (witness their high TES scores that first season - both were the first teams to get all level fours for a program). While it's too hard to predict who retires from Canton (well, not really - if anyone does, it'll be V/M), I'd argue I/K don't have the advantage of the COP comfort that others lack. I'm also not convinced that they'll automatically be the Russian number one, but I like R/T and B/S.

Autumn_girl
08-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Well, definetely they have a chance, but it's still a big if. At first they need to skate very clean, cleaner than ever, to polish every move of their programs to compete with other teams. This season seems to begin better for them than the previous one as they were good at test skates and got new lifts, but we still have to wait for their first competition to say something

Vash01
08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I think they will be 3rd or 4th in 2014, and rise after that.

millipied
08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Personally I somehow doubt we are going to see both V/M and D/W on the podium in Sochi, something tells me the Canton group is going to hit turbulent time leading into Olympics. I am 100% confident that both B/S and I/K will be in the hunt for all three colors.

~tapdancer~
08-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Personally I somehow doubt we are going to see both V/M and D/W on the podium in Sochi, something tells me the Canton group is going to hit turbulent time leading into Olympics. I am 100% confident that both B/S and I/K will be in the hunt for all three colors.
Well, I somehow doubt anyone who is 100% confident when it comes to figure skating. :)

Susan M
08-15-2011, 11:35 PM
And Elena is one of those charismatic skaters; she has that "it" factor.
People keep saying that, and I keep looking for it, but I just do not see "it". Last year, what her performances reminded me of was sort of the skating equivalent of a little girl playing dress up in her mother's clothes. She had all the posing and posturing, but was really pretty clueless about what it all meant or how to make it really work.

judgejudy27
08-16-2011, 12:55 AM
B/S couldnt even beat Crone & Poirier at the GPF or the Shibutanis at Worlds. They have even had trouble beating Weaver & Poje this year. They have been behind teams their own age or younger since day 1 and still are today. If they are lucky they will have an outside shot at the bronze medal in Sochi. While I have my doubts about I/K as well I will say that the Russians had better hope I/K or some other team is their #1 by Sochi. If B/S are still their #1 then they will be in rough shape.

nuge
08-16-2011, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=Susan M;3263054]People keep saying that, and I keep looking for it, but I just do not see "it".

I disagree :PI think she definately has the IT factor .She has presence and commanded the ice :kickass:They need to be more polished with no mistakes.

I hope they beat B/S at nationals.They have really big problems with twizzles and always seem to be pushing for speed .IMO.

To answer the question yes if V/M D/W aren't there.

Frau Muller
08-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Maybe Ilynikh with another partner. "Kats" isn't particularly strong, IMO.

caseyedwards
08-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Because the games are in Russia the crowd will cheer all the Russians very loud and hopefully loud cheering wont be such a problem for Katsalapov's ability to concentrate and compete. When he said loud cheering is why he botched the opening the the FD in Moscow it was a warning sign about his level of concentration when competing.

Proustable
08-17-2011, 04:45 AM
Because the games are in Russia the crowd will cheer all the Russians very loud and hopefully loud cheering wont be such a problem for Katsalapov's ability to concentrate and compete. When he said loud cheering is why he botched the opening the the FD in Moscow it was a warning sign about his level of concentration when competing.

Actually, that's one thing about the move to Morosov that's positive. Throughout the season we saw those little errors that seemed to be from lack of concentration/confidence. Morosov is terrific at instilling confidence (Takahashi said that's how he benefited from him, and I think Amodio's a pretty great example too, though arguably Amodio had confidence in spades already). That and generally, his skaters turn up well trained to their events. If they have those, I wouldn't be surprised to see them threaten for the podium despite the relative brevity of their partnership (In Vancouver, you'd have to go to Cappellini-Lannotte in 12th to find a partnership as short as I/K's would be in Sochi).

SkaterMate
08-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Morozov will fix his problem of concentration I am sure. His skaters are prepared very well.