PDA

View Full Version : Stage collapse at Ind. State Fair

Pages : 1 [2]

reckless
08-15-2011, 06:39 AM
They usually only suspend an event if there is lightning in the area. The police did alert the crowd that there was severe weather approaching only a few minutes before the wind gusts, but I think that was designed to get the audience prepared in case they evacuated due to lightning.

I don't think anyone expected that kind of localized wind to come up so quickly.

skateboy
08-15-2011, 06:51 AM
This is terrible. I was in Indy last week: most hot, humid weather, but sudden storms, including an intense electrical storm about an hour north. Even the weather report didn't predict the very quick changes.

Very sad for all concerned.

Rob
08-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I have gone to several outdoor events where huge storms rolled through, and I never thought to worry about the stage collapsing. This is awful.

Cheylana
08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
How awful! And I have friends attending this fair; gonna check on them now.
My friends are ok. But dang, this is incredibly sad :(

mysticchic
08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I used to do photos for concerts and I have seen huge storms move in and blow everything over and never have I seen a stage go down like that. I've seen where the cover has been blown off. The beams have rocked. Something wasn't right about the set up. Nothing else in the area was blown down.

brina
08-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I live in Louisville and we were hit with a sudden wind storm the same day; It might have been the same one. There are trees, powerlines, and billboards down everywhere. It looks like a hurricane came through.

Rob
08-15-2011, 10:18 PM
I live in Louisville and we were hit with a sudden wind storm the same day; It might have been the same one. There are trees, powerlines, and billboards down everywhere. It looks like a hurricane came through.

I hope everything is ok there too. I visited Louisville in September 2008 right after Ike went through and there was so much damage.

skatesindreams
08-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Another of the injured has died:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/19/indiana.stage.collapse/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

genevieve
08-22-2011, 09:13 PM
And a seventh person has died:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/indiana-state-fair-collap_n_933003.html