PDA

View Full Version : The Help

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Jayar
08-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Go see this movie. It is a beautiful portrait and tribute. Saw it last night, and I was moved.

nursebetty
08-13-2011, 10:10 PM
I went to see Stupid, Crazy Love (loved it) and saw the previews, hopefully I make it to another movie,esp. since the lead is Amy Stone and I loved her in the other movie.

smurfy
08-13-2011, 10:30 PM
I saw The Help last nite too, and loved it. Really kept to the book. The acting was great, and the cast looked as I pictured from the book. Friend had not read the book and loved it too. Applause at the end of the movie.

marbri
08-14-2011, 12:10 AM
I read the book a month ago. Saw the movie a few days ago. The movie does a decent job sticking to the book but I don't know what I am missing here because I found neither the book nor the movie as outstanding as the reviews they are getting. The person I went with expected to be more wowed by the movie than they were ( they hadn't read the book). I think maybe for me neither the movie nor the book really committed to their theme, in some ways I felt it a bit glossed over.

Weegie
08-14-2011, 12:23 AM
My husband and I both enjoyed the book, and we both loved the movie when we saw it this afternoon. The cast and the setting were just as we had pictured. Applause at the end at our theater, too.

olympic
08-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Go see this movie. It is a beautiful portrait and tribute. Saw it last night, and I was moved.

The trailer here made it seem kind of 'Disney' and I was reluctant to go.

I'm glad you liked it. I read the book and was completely engrossed [couldn't put it down!]
I could totally feel while reading the book how scary it was to step out of line if you were Black in 1960s Mississippi.

Does the movie capture that?

marbri
08-14-2011, 01:03 AM
I would say no, but then I didn't feel the book captured that either ;)

taf2002
08-14-2011, 01:17 AM
I would say no, but then I didn't feel the book captured that either ;)

I haven't seen the movie but I'm surprised you think the book didn't capture the "fear of stepping out of line". The beating of the young man who used a "white" restroom didn't do it for you? The maids' reluctance to tell their stories?

marbri
08-14-2011, 01:42 AM
I've seen other movies and read other books about these issues that made a huge impact on me. Cried, cringed and been in awe of the courage people showed in the civil rights times. Many have tackled that and did an incredible job making me feel the reality of those times. For me the book and movie did not come close to doing what so many had done before them.

milanessa
08-14-2011, 01:51 AM
I've seen other movies and read other books about these issues that made a huge impact on me. Cried, cringed and been in awe of the courage people showed in the civil rights times. Many have tackled that and did an incredible job making me feel the reality of those times.

I can understand those feelings but not everything in those times was so dramatic and cringe worthy. Many people went about their lives quietly and yet were still courageous.

marbri
08-14-2011, 02:26 AM
I can understand those feelings but not everything in those times was so dramatic and cringe worthy. Many people went about their lives quietly and yet were still courageous.

Of course. But I was responding specifically to taf2002 saying it was surprised that the beating of a man for using a white toilet didn't do it for me (which, by the way, I felt was casually thrown in to back up why the maids were afraid to come forward.) All I will say is that after reading THIS book I found myself thinking it'd be really interesting to read a book written by the black maids.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread :D I've read reviews of both in many places,, roughly 8 out of 10 love it. The lonely 2 out of 10 are with me scratching my head wondering how this rated up there with To Kill a Mockingbird, a comparison I found insulting to Harper Lee ;)

Civic
08-14-2011, 02:33 AM
I recently read that the author is being sued by her family's former housekeeper. It seems the housekeeper is angry that the author drew upon her life story without her permission.

oleada
08-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Reading the book right now and can't put it down....looking forward to the movie. Great to hear your review :)

Rex
08-14-2011, 03:48 AM
I recently read that the author is being sued by her family's former housekeeper. It seems the housekeeper is angry that the author drew upon her life story without her permission.

I read this as well...of course, Stockett has denied all of the accusations. I'm supposed to go see it Wednesday. I have mixed feelings about it, but will try to reserve my judgment until I've seen it. There was an interesting column in Essence magazine where two writers with opposing POVs discussed seeing it/not seeing it. My curiosity outweighs any reservations I have about the movie.

I admire Viola Davis, and would watch anything she was in. I think she's beautiful and talented.

BigB08822
08-14-2011, 03:48 AM
Every time I see the preview I think this movie looks absolutely dreadful. :shuffle: