PDA

View Full Version : Will Russia bounce back to win at least 1 gold medal at the Sochi 2014 Olympics?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

aftershocks
08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Figure skating is both Art and Sport, and it will always be, just as there will always be debate and differences of opinion regarding all aspects of its challenging and engaging past and present moments. I watch all the events of figure skating competitions, and I love reading about this art/sport, sharing my opinions and gaining new perspectives.

There are different reasons why the quad remains a challenging jump for many. TBTB in figure skating are only beginning to realize how important it is to understand more about the physics, exercises, technology aids and training strategies necessary to mastering quads consistently without destroying skaters' bodies and careers.

A delayed single axel jump, a gorgeous spread eagle, or even the simplest of moves in skating can be just as, or even more breathtaking than the most beautifully landed quad jump, if performed well in a wonderfully choreographed program. Why? One reason is perhaps because the eye often can barely distinguish the fourth revolution of a quad jump -- it necessarily happens so fast. No jump is thrilling to me unless it is well-executed within the whole of a well-conceived program. I don't like watching poorly performed jumps or programs, and it has been frustrating to witness over the years such misunderstanding about how to develop quads safely. The lack of understanding has adversely impacted figure skating. This art/sport is much more complicated than the simple beauty of watching a well-executed move would attest.

caseyedwards
08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
I confused GSD with Goldenskate forums too! LOL.

Vash01
08-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Figure skating is both Art and Sport, and it will always be, just as there will always be debate and differences of opinion regarding all aspects of its challenging and engaging past and present moments. I watch all the events of figure skating competitions, and I love reading about this art/sport, sharing my opinions and gaining new perspectives.

There are different reasons why the quad remains a challenging jump for many. TBTB in figure skating are only beginning to realize how important it is to understand more about the physics, exercises, technology aids and training strategies necessary to mastering quads consistently without destroying skaters' bodies and careers.

A delayed single axel jump, a gorgeous spread eagle, or even the simplest of moves in skating can be just as, or even more breathtaking than the most beautifully landed quad jump, if performed well in a wonderfully choreographed program. Why? One reason is perhaps because the eye often can barely distinguish the fourth revolution of a quad jump -- it necessarily happens so fast. No jump is thrilling to me unless it is well-executed within the whole of a well-conceived program. I don't like watching poorly performed jumps or programs, and it has been frustrating to witness over the years such misunderstanding about how to develop quads safely. The lack of understanding has adversely impacted figure skating. This art/sport is much more complicated than the simple beauty of watching a well-executed move would attest.

I find your post very condescending. I have never said that other moves are not important or are not beautiful. I won't write a thesis on this, but I could give a long list of moves I like. I have posted thousands of times about FS and I am not going to repeat myself. The reason I like FS is that it is an art and a sport. However, you are trying to take the sport aspect out of it, and being condescending by talking as if I know nothing about FS. Your whole post is meant to put me or whoever thinks differntly from you down. I have been watching FS since the late 1980's and taking FS lessons since the early 90's. Instead of saying it's just a different opinion, you want to act superior and assume that I am an idiot. I am very angry about this.:mad:

aftershocks
08-27-2011, 08:32 PM
My posts are not intended to condescend. Sorry you are taking them in that light. Nowhere did I say I don't like "more revolutions to jumps," and I didn't take issue with you for making that assumption. Nowhere did I say that you said "other moves are not important or are not beautiful."

Unfortunately, since we are not having a face-to-face discussion, my written words and way of phrasing my opinions seem to be making you think I'm putting you down. Your feelings, thoughts and perceptions are yours and are valid, just as mine are. I've enjoyed reading many of your posts, and often agree, and sometimes disagree. It is your choice how you decide to respond to my strong opinions regarding the quad in figure skating. My opinions have nothing to do with you personally. I'm sorry you are choosing anger, perhaps because you misinterpret my intentions and tone.