PDA

View Full Version : Will Russia bounce back to win at least 1 gold medal at the Sochi 2014 Olympics?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

VIETgrlTerifa
08-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Other than Kulik and Yagudin, I wouldn't rematch any of the above men's Olympic performances. However, I would rematch some of their other ones (like Worlds).

misskarne
08-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I think Plushenko is strong enough mentally, and appears to be doing the work technically, to make it to Sochi.

Whether his body lasts is another matter. I hope it does. I would sorely like to see him skate at Sochi. I think he would be on another level. The power of the mind is amazing.

Kasey
08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
I think Plushenko would be on another level in Sochi if he makes it as well; unfortunately, not the elevated, celestial level that you seem to be thinking he'll master. He will be quite "figure skater old", he will have undergone multiple surgeries for injuries, and he will be up against a younger and possibly stronger generation. I could see Plushenko being the "still trying to hold on to glory Stojko" in his final Olympics, and that just wasn't a pretty sight.

Vash01
08-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I think Plushenko is strong enough mentally, and appears to be doing the work technically, to make it to Sochi.

Whether his body lasts is another matter. I hope it does. I would sorely like to see him skate at Sochi. I think he would be on another level. The power of the mind is amazing.

The power of the mind is amazing, but I am afraid his body is not going to hold up till 2014. He is already having problems with his knees, back, and is having surgeries. He has been skating at the senior worlds level since age 15 (and winning medals!). He has already surpassed most figure skaters in longevity. I would love to see him back, but only if he is in good shape, and if it does not permanently damage his body because he could do show skating for many more years.

Vash01
08-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I found these quads by Artur Gachinski in practice (flip, loop, lutz)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Lle_MKUW9ac

If he is able to land two of these in an LP in competition, it will be historic. Of course he will need to work on other aspects of this skating too, but I find it exciting when new jumps are added to the sport.

Cherub721
08-21-2011, 08:08 PM
I think Plushenko would be on another level in Sochi if he makes it as well; unfortunately, not the elevated, celestial level that you seem to be thinking he'll master. He will be quite "figure skater old", he will have undergone multiple surgeries for injuries, and he will be up against a younger and possibly stronger generation. I could see Plushenko being the "still trying to hold on to glory Stojko" in his final Olympics, and that just wasn't a pretty sight.

That was my feeling about Plushy going into Vancouver. I was amazed that he skated as well as he did, and nearly won. It would be too much to ask for that lightning to strike twice.

Macassar88
08-21-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm kind of hoping that Plushenko can bring back the triple axel half loop triple flip. It's worth the same as a quad toe triple toe, but it's just so much cooler.

misskarne
08-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm kind of hoping that Plushenko can bring back the triple axel half loop triple flip. It's worth the same as a quad toe triple toe, but it's just so much cooler.

I'd love to see him do it again too - that was amazing, that combination. I'd also like to see him do an Ina Bauer into 3A (Kulik-style) but that's mostly because I've never seen Plushy do an Ina Bauer.

I hope he goes full-out with the 4T-3T-3Lo and I'll be interested to see if he keeps working on the 3A-4T combination. I definitely think he's more than capable of beating everyone else in the field...if his body holds out.

Vash01
08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I'd love to see him do it again too - that was amazing, that combination. I'd also like to see him do an Ina Bauer into 3A (Kulik-style) but that's mostly because I've never seen Plushy do an Ina Bauer.

I hope he goes full-out with the 4T-3T-3Lo and I'll be interested to see if he keeps working on the 3A-4T combination. I definitely think he's more than capable of beating everyone else in the field...if his body holds out.

Kulik was doing spread eagles (not Ina Bauer) into triple axel, as eligible.

I too loved the 3A-0.5loop-3f combination. I don't think he can do the 4t-3t-3R combination now, but if he does the 4-3-2 even that will be amazing.

judgejudy27
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
That was my feeling about Plushy going into Vancouver. I was amazed that he skated as well as he did, and nearly won. It would be too much to ask for that lightning to strike twice.

The caliber of the mens event come 2014 will be much higher than 2010. One just has to compare the level Lysacek was skating at and able to win big events to the level Chan is skating at now to see the enormous difference.

Cherub721
08-22-2011, 07:31 PM
The caliber of the mens event come 2014 will be much higher than 2010. One just has to compare the level Lysacek was skating at and able to win big events to the level Chan is skating at now to see the enormous difference.

Agreed but then again Takahashi and Joubert in 2007 were skating at a much higher level than Lysacek in 2010. Even Buttle's quadless performance from 2008 would beat Lysacek because of the transitions, IMO. The level could drop back down again as it did leading up to 2010, for whatever reason. Still doesn't mean Plush medals, obviously.

judgejudy27
08-22-2011, 07:42 PM
True, it was sad how mens skating went backwards so much leading into Vancouver. It is also probably a large part of the reason Plushenko returned at all, since he was already well below his former best due to his knee surgeries in Vancouver.

Seeing Evan go on to win a surprise World and Olympic gold also makes me sad Jeff didnt continue. Then again Jeff was inconsistent so who knows if he would put it together to win or not, but a clean Jeff would always crush a clean Evan if both were quadless.

orbitz
08-22-2011, 08:46 PM

But the flip looked force, because Plush was basically taking off from a standstill after the half loop. I would've given it 0 or -GOE if it was done under IJS. A jump sequence must have good flow in and out of its multipe connecting jumps. An excellent jump sequence was Ito and Browning's 2A-.5L-3S. A really bad example was Maria's 3T-.5L-3S.

Vash01
08-22-2011, 09:00 PM
But the flip looked force, because Plush was basically taking off from a standstill after the half loop. I would've given it 0 or -GOE if it was done under IJS. A jump sequence must have good flow in and out of its multipe connecting jumps. An excellent jump sequence was Ito and Browning's 2A-.5L-3S. A really bad example was Maria's 3T-.5L-3S.

You are comparing 2A-0.5L-3S sequence with a 3A-0.5L-3f?

Midori was a great jumper, but that sequence was not all that difficult. How many men have even attempted the 3A-0.5L-3f?

Vash01
08-22-2011, 09:06 PM

I have to disagree with this. Other than Chan, I don't see a man skating at a really high level right now. We don't know if Kozuka will develop, if Takahashi will be around (and still skating well), if Oda will ever learn to follow the COP rules. By the time 2014 rolls around, we may see a strong field but right now I don't.

Evan won the 2009 worlds because Joubert made a tactical error during his LP. IMO both Joubert and Takahashi were contenders for the OGM, at least on paper. Also Abbott was skating very well. I think Plushy came back because he missed competing, and also because he believed that he could beat these guys. He almost did, but partly because Joubert had his Olympic meltdown, Takahashi fell on the quad while Lysacek wisely eliminated the quad from his programs, and IMO Oda was never as strong artistically as these skaters. Abbott skated poorly too, but on paper the field was pretty strong.