PDA

View Full Version : "Toddlers and Tiaras" Star Is Retiring from Pageants

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

overedge
08-10-2011, 08:08 PM
OMG. I Googled this kid's name and found....

http://www.littleedenwood.com/

This is just sick.

Jenny
08-10-2011, 08:13 PM
I can't say I endorse this kind of thing, but it strikes me that it's not much different than children who became marketing brands in the past - from Shirley Temple to the Olsen twins. The only thing that's changed is there are more ways to get famous now - websites, youtube, social media, reality shows etc.

overedge
08-10-2011, 08:24 PM
But the Olsen twins and Shirley Temple were branded/merchandised after they became recognized for doing something else (acting). Slapping your homemade videos on YouTube and putting your songs up on iTunes isn't quite the same thing as having a legitimate entertainment career to build a brand/merchandise on.

And a "showgirl doll" based on a six-year-old is just wrong.

Jenny
08-10-2011, 08:33 PM
But the Olsen twins and Shirley Temple were branded/merchandised after they became recognized for doing something else (acting). Slapping your homemade videos on YouTube and putting your songs up on iTunes isn't quite the same thing as having a legitimate entertainment career to build a brand/merchandise on.

And a "showgirl doll" based on a six-year-old is just wrong.

Like I said, I don't endorse this - I was more just commenting on how children as brands is not a new concept (not that you said it was) with only the methods changing over the years (which I find interesting).

At the same time, I'll argue that what the Olsen twins did before they became a massive moneymaking brand wasn't much - cutsey appearances on a sitcom isn't much different than competing in pageants IMO.

As for going on youtube etc as a first step toward a legitimate career is not unprecedented either - that's how Justin Bieber got started.

Cachoo
08-10-2011, 08:43 PM
I think that Tiger Woods Dad forced him into golf but lucked out as he had a son who wanted to play and had a gift for the game. I feel the same about Shirley Temple and her mother---Shirley had incredible talent for a child so young. But I don't think most parents forcing their children into whatever don't realize there are very few who actually excel. And doing what this little girl does is nothing to write home about...What was/is her Mom/Dad thinking?

vesperholly
08-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Slapping your homemade videos on YouTube and putting your songs up on iTunes isn't quite the same thing as having a legitimate entertainment career to build a brand/merchandise on.

Yes, but A (homemade videos) can be the gateway to B (legit career). See: Justin Beiber

overedge
08-10-2011, 11:05 PM
But how many entertainers other than Bieber have made a career through YouTube? Just because one person managed to be discovered through YouTube doesn't mean it's a viable career option.

And I would guess that Bieber's mom, or whoever was posting his videos, wasn't posting them with claims that he had "hit singles" or with any of the other hyperbole that this kid's website is full of.

skatesindreams
08-10-2011, 11:19 PM
The girl's mother has "Hollywood aspirations" for her.
She'll be just "one of thousands" there, I'm sure.

vesperholly
08-10-2011, 11:21 PM
And I would guess that Bieber's mom, or whoever was posting his videos, wasn't posting them with claims that he had "hit singles" or with any of the other hyperbole that this kid's website is full of.

True. Talent before hype.

taf2002
08-10-2011, 11:41 PM
How many skaters have we seen hyped before they did anything? That concept is not new either.

Jot the Dot Dot
08-11-2011, 01:18 AM
But how many entertainers other than Bieber have made a career through YouTube?

Yuto Miyazawa. http://www.yutoguitar.com And of course, Susan Boyle.

overedge
08-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Yuto Miyazawa. http://www.yutoguitar.com And of course, Sarah Boyle.

Do you mean Susan Boyle?
She was a finalist on Britain's Got Talent, which is how she got onto YouTube. So she had some degree of fame beforehand.
And I don't know the other performer you've named, so I wouldn't agree that YouTube has made him that much of a star....

Jot the Dot Dot
08-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Do you mean Susan Boyle?
She was a finalist on Britain's Got Talent, which is how she got onto YouTube. So she had some degree of fame beforehand.
And I don't know the other performer you've named, so I wouldn't agree that YouTube has made him that much of a star....

Well, the Ozman knows him.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/yuto_miyazawa Ever appear on stage with Ozzy when you were 10?

overedge
08-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Well, the Ozman knows him.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/yuto_miyazawa Ever appear on stage with Ozzy when you were 10?

If you have to put a Wikipedia link to explain who this person is, they are not as famous as you think they are.

my little pony
08-11-2011, 03:08 AM
eden reminds me of anna nicole smith for some reason