PDA

View Full Version : "Toddlers and Tiaras" Star Is Retiring from Pageants

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Holley Calmes
08-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Whilst I do live T&T as a guilty pleasure, I dont see the point of pageants. You can teach your kids to have good posture and be pleasant just by being mindful when raising them. It seems like a lot of money to outlay, when they aren't really learning any skills other than walking/smiling/posing etc.

I respect your opinion, Andy, but I am afraid I don't totally agree. Yes, parents can be hugely influential. But the outside world can be pretty huge to young women who might have been taught by well meaning parents in an environment (like where I live) which is very rural and conservative. To "make it" and have confidence in ANY situation, I believe takes some training outside the home-or at least can be very helpful. It's a big world. Presenting yourself to parents and friends is one thing. Standing in front of 1000 people you don't know and presenting yourself and what you believe in, answering unexpected questions with grace and intelligence-that isn't something Mom usually imparts to her girls. The willingness and openness to learn to do so, perhaps. It isn't for everyone, there is a lot of stuff about it I don't like, but I'm not going to condemn all of it.

JMHO. I guess what I'm trying to say is that T&T is horrendous, some pageants are tacky, some might actually be an environment for some young women to grow. I don't think it's fair to judge all of them by T&T. Once upon a time I would have done so. But i was wrong. I admit it.

overedge
08-20-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't think it's fair to judge all of them by T&T. Once upon a time I would have done so. But i was wrong. I admit it.

I don't think anyone who has watched any of the televised pageants and then watched T&T would think that T&T is representative of the whole pageant system.

Geez, I remember going to a couple of the Miss [Hometown] pageant while I was in high school, and it was amateur to the max - one year, one of the contestants decided on "acting" for her talent and didn't have time to learn the lines for the monologue she chose. So she staged it at a dinner table and put the script on the table in the shadow of a flower bouquet, so she could look at the lines when she forgot them :lol:

And this was pretty typical of the level of talent. But even though it was very amateur, it was at least tasteful. Unlike the pageants in T&T.

mikemba
08-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I dislike all forms of pageants. Even if they provide scholarship money, I don't think the ends justify the means: I don't like the idea of women earning scholarships that are due, even in part, to their appearance.

Beefcake
09-08-2011, 05:49 PM
No No No No No No No. Just. No. (www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uw7WRrt9ldw)

danceronice
09-08-2011, 06:46 PM
O.o

I'll be over here, weeping for humanity.

made_in_canada
09-08-2011, 06:48 PM
No No No No No No No. Just. No. (www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uw7WRrt9ldw)

:yikes: When I was probably 11 or 12 I was at a skating seminar where we had to come up with a performance to that song. My parents were horrified! I had no idea what the song was about and had no clue about the movie Pretty Woman and certainly didn't do anything overly sexual (I wouldn't have had any idea how) but they were still horrified. I can remember my dad ranting all the way home and me really not getting what the big deal was.

Stormy
09-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I was actually watching a T&T rerun last night and there was a 4 year old dressed up as Dolly Parton, complete with fake boobs and a fake booty. I usually don't have a problem with T&T but that went too far. That wasn't ok. The judges loved it though. :rolleyes:

overedge
09-08-2011, 08:12 PM
If the parent had chosen to dress the kid as Julia Roberts's character post-makeover, that would have been somewhat tasteful. But dressing her as the pre-makeover hooker? That is so wrong on so many levels.

AndyWarhol
09-10-2011, 03:15 PM
:yikes: When I was probably 11 or 12 I was at a skating seminar where we had to come up with a performance to that song. My parents were horrified! I had no idea what the song was about and had no clue about the movie Pretty Woman and certainly didn't do anything overly sexual (I wouldn't have had any idea how) but they were still horrified. I can remember my dad ranting all the way home and me really not getting what the big deal was.

If you are referring to Oh, Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison, it's not about a prostitute. Obviously, most people think about the movie Pretty Woman when they hear the song, but it was release in 1964, many years before the movie which came out in 1990.

That said, dressing a 3 year old like a hooker is gross. Bad parenting.

Jenny
09-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't approve of this, but, I do think it could be a case of the original meaning of something getting lost in pop culture.

Maybe the outfit is meant to look like Julia Roberts' character more than a hooker. Yes, she was portraying a prostitute, but in a very candied version that made her more of a fairy tale character - a heroine - than dealing with the realities of prostitution. The movie is a romantic comedy after all.

Another example might be the favourite childhood song/dance of Ring Around the Rosy. Millions of children have joined hands and danced around singing this song; I know I did. What many don't realize is that the song is about the plague, and when they "all fall down" they are recreating the horrible deaths of tens of thousands of people. I don't think too many people give parents or teachers a hard time about teaching little kids that song/dance, and when its real meaning is pointed out, I think most just consider it interesting and carry on.

Perhaps Julia's character is going that way - remembered as a modern day fairytale princess more than a hooker.

shan
09-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't approve of this, but, I do think it could be a case of the original meaning of something getting lost in pop culture.

Maybe the outfit is meant to look like Julia Roberts' character more than a hooker. Yes, she was portraying a prostitute, but in a very candied version that made her more of a fairy tale character - a heroine - than dealing with the realities of prostitution. The movie is a romantic comedy after all.

Another example might be the favourite childhood song/dance of Ring Around the Rosy. Millions of children have joined hands and danced around singing this song; I know I did. What many don't realize is that the song is about the plague, and when they "all fall down" they are recreating the horrible deaths of tens of thousands of people. I don't think too many people give parents or teachers a hard time about teaching little kids that song/dance, and when its real meaning is pointed out, I think most just consider it interesting and carry on.

Perhaps Julia's character is going that way - remembered as a modern day fairytale princess more than a hooker.

Yeah but they chose the hooker version of Roberts's character not the fairytale version. The lack of judgement and discernment on the part of her parents is :eek:

BaileyCatts
09-11-2011, 12:05 AM
...Another example might be the favourite childhood song/dance of Ring Around the Rosy. Millions of children have joined hands and danced around singing this song; I know I did. What many don't realize is that the song is about the plague, and when they "all fall down" they are recreating the horrible deaths of tens of thousands of people..

I never knew that. Amazing the things you learn on FSU! :lol:

PDilemma
09-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Great point. If that's what the song was really about.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

my little pony
09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
at my godchildrens' school, they make them substitute a different word for ashes, i cant remember what it is now.

Jenny
09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Great point. If that's what the song was really about.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

Interesting! Although I must say that there is little actual fact presented, making this as much a theory as the one about the plague.

The point that no one apparently made the connection to the plague until the 1950s is strong, but what appears to be the main basis of the argument on snopes - that there's no way a song lasted intact from the 1300s to the first time it is known to have appeared in print in the 1880s - is weak. Other sources suggest it originated with the plague of the late 1600s, and was known to have been sung only a century later.

Guess it's like so much poetry, song lyrics and prose - open to interpretation.

Thanks for sharing :)

at my godchildrens' school, they make them substitute a different word for ashes, i cant remember what it is now.

I grew up singing "hush-a, hush-a," more like sneezing.