PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties with Landlord...any advice?

Pages : 1 [2]

agalisgv
08-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm not quite understanding what you want to be compensated for. It seems like you are saying you would have rented this house whether the changes were made or not. What are you out financially then?

Debbie S
08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
I guess what I'm wondering now is if we'd be up for any kind of compensation?Unless you were charged extra for the improvements (and that was specifically written into the lease), no.

You may be able to terminate the lease, based on the lease terms, but if you want to live there, than all you can do is pay your contract rent and live with the situation.

The landlord is the one responsible for checking with the township and taking care of all things necessary. But as others have said, it's never a good idea to sign a lease based on what *might* get done.

PDilemma
08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I think a person who screams at tenants when they call to inquire about agreed upon progress on a rental property and berates them for leaving a voicemail about a business transaction certainly could be a sign of mental issues, no matter what the age.

Or it could just be an insensitive person. And "screaming" could be an exaggeration of speaking loudly and not being entirely cooperative or rational. I have found over the years that that word often is.

If he has experienced some health issues recently, an irrational response could be due to stress or even medication. The wrong asthma medication used to turn my normally calm and soft spoken grandfather into a person who yelled and swore. When he was in a nursing home and not really able to tell them what to avoid giving him, their doctor would sometimes prescribe the wrong medication or doses and we would notice very quickly.

We don't have to declare everyone mentally ill all the time. :rolleyes:

lmarie086
08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
No, he didn't charge us extra. We were just curious if we'd be able to lower the rent per month since he doesn't sound like he will be able to do the construction, but I do understand it if we aren't since that wasn't actually included in the rent.

Thank you all for your responses and helping me make sense of this. I do appreciate it :)

genevieve
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Or it could just be an insensitive person. And "screaming" could be an exaggeration of speaking loudly and not being entirely cooperative or rational. I have found over the years that that word often is.

If he has experienced some health issues recently, an irrational response could be due to stress or even medication. The wrong asthma medication used to turn my normally calm and soft spoken grandfather into a person who yelled and swore. When he was in a nursing home and not really able to tell them what to avoid giving him, their doctor would sometimes prescribe the wrong medication or doses and we would notice very quickly.

I agree with you on not declaring people mentally ill at the drop of a hat. But what's been described here is a guy swearing at a tenant, lashing out when someone leaves a voicemail about an agreed upon business transaction, and cutting off all communication avenues with customers. That's not someone being "forthright about the existence of health issues". As I posted, it could be an indication of someone experiencing mental issues, which I don't equate with having a mental illness.

Regardless of whether the landlord was actually screaming or it was the friend's impression, the content of the conversation (as related, because that's all we have to go on) was certainly unacceptable from a professional standpoint, as was cutting off conversation.

I don't know that lmarie and her friends have any financial recourse about this, and to be honest, I can just picture the calls and how they could be seen as very annoying, even if agreed upon. but the guy seems to have bitten off more than he can chew, for sure, and he's not coping well. Swearing at tenants before they even move in isn't one of those "I'm blunt and oversensitive people sometimes take it the wrong way" situations :lol:

agalisgv
08-08-2011, 09:17 PM
No, he didn't charge us extra. We were just curious if we'd be able to lower the rent per month since he doesn't sound like he will be able to do the construction One party cannot decide on their own to alter the rental amount. If he agrees to a reduction *in writing*, then you could. My hunch is broaching the topic could make for a very rocky relationship though. Legally he's not obligated to bc the improvements don't represent a material breach of the contract by your own admission. If it was a material breach, the lease would be null and void and you could move somewhere else. But if you aren't willing to do that, then the lease remains in force.

On the bright side, you have a great house at a great price in walking distance to school :).

Japanfan
08-09-2011, 01:40 AM

Who is declaring everyone mentally ill all the time?

His behaviour is cause for concern regardless of what the reason is. And I also said 'mental health issues', which can result from stress and physical illness, or from medication as you've indicated.

When person is overwhelmed and unwell, too many responsibilities and commitments can push them to the point of snapping. It's understandable, but the person may have to make some changes in order to better manage their life. People dependent on that person might therefore be in a vulnerable position and renters are dependent on their landlord.

Ajax
08-10-2011, 08:56 PM
This whole thing just sounds fishy to me. I've never heard of a landlord who'd be willing to do a bunch of major improvements such as splitting up bedrooms for the sake of students who are only going to be renting the place for 8-9 months. If the house is near a college and on-campus housing is not enough for the whole student body, then he'd have a steady supply of renters no matter what. Why does he care if one of you is in the walkthrough bedroom?? I live in a major college town, have changed houses about 7 times while I was a student, and never encountered a landlord that took such an active interest in my well being and comfort.

I have the feeling that he swindled you by promising all these things that he never intended to deliver, got you to sign the lease, and now is making himself as unreachable and uncooperative as possible until it's too late for you to back out of the lease and you are forced to live there.

Louis
08-11-2011, 01:52 AM
I can't speak for other places, but in NYC, making an extra bedroom out of an oversized bedroom or living room is very, very common. Usually the cost is borne by the tenant, however, and the tenant "rents" a temporary wall that is removed when they leave.

There isn't a lot of labor to it, so I'm not surprised if the landlord agreed to put up a wall. The extra bathroom is fishy, though. Unless it's done on the sly or the owner is an architect or contractor, I expect it would take a minimum of 60-90 days just to secure the plans and permits, and then another 30-60 for the job to be fully complete.

luluxiu
08-12-2011, 02:35 AM
There are many areas in the Albany region owned by entities other than rental property, rents are often higher due. Whenever someone proposes a new scheme of apartments, the rent is always in 4-digit range, and in this respect we can not afford.spam link deleted. post it again and you are banned.