PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to extreme time change

Pages : [1] 2

kylet3
08-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Hi All,

To follow up on my earlier London thread, I have a question about how I should adjust to a seven hour time change, the most I've ever really had to do was 3 and that was when I was 10 so I don't really remember :S lol. The difference is 7 hours now. My flight is at 10:00 PM (mountain time) and I arrive into London at 2:25 PM London time. I have plans as soon as I get to my hotel to just drop my stuff and go. Which leads me to...

When should I be going to sleep. Obviously sleeping on the plane? Not sure when though I should sleep before/wake up, I want to have as much energy as I can as soon as I get there because I have a lot planned. If anyone could offer advice, I'd hugely appreciate it.

Thanks Much

PrincessLeppard
08-08-2011, 12:55 AM
I can't sleep on planes, so I don't have anything to offer about that. Just try to stay awake until 10 pm or so when you hit London, and you'll adjust pretty quickly.

That's what's worked for me many times in Europe, and the two times I did a 12 hour shift. :yikes:

Matryeshka
08-08-2011, 01:02 AM
I'll second that. Stay up. When I did a study abroad at LSU, we landed in Paris in the late morning, got to our hotel early afternoon and all any of us wanted to do was sleep. But no. We went on a walking tour of Paris, went to a special dinner, and were basically forced to stay up till about 11. I hated those sleep Nazi bastards :mad:

Later on though I was grateful--I slept very well and woke up at 8 the next morning pretty much on Paris time. Students from another university arrived a week later, and their group leaders did not force them up. It took them all about a week to adjust, and they were CRANKY.

STAY UP, even if it kills you. It's better to have one day of disorientation, crankiness, and blahs than to only adjust the day you leave.

kylet3
08-08-2011, 01:11 AM
So stay up all through the flight then too? I think the day I leave I have scheduled off so should I sleep during the day and then stay up all through the flight? I'm not quite sure what stay up means in that context? Like stay up 24 hours straight? Not sure I can manage that lol :lol:

Tinami Amori
08-08-2011, 01:25 AM
So stay up all through the flight then too? I think the day I leave I have scheduled off so should I sleep during the day and then stay up all through the flight? I'm not quite sure what stay up means in that context? Like stay up 24 hours straight? Not sure I can manage that lol :lol:

Drink lots of water on the plane and don't consume alcohol, on the plane or for the rest of the day. During flight (7 hrs) try to get up and move at least 3-4 times during flight and do some stretching.

After arriving to the hotel about 15:00, sleep for few hours, until 18:00. Then wake up, take shower, go out have supper, walk for 2-3 hours, return to hotel, drink warm decaf. tea, then take 3 pills of Valerian root, and go to sleep.

http://naturallycurvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Valerian-Root-Capsules.jpg

CarolineL
08-08-2011, 01:29 AM
We land at 6:00 a.m. England time, 1:00 a.m. Canadian time. We are going straight to the flat and will sleep until about noon England time and then are going on a brief outing to Canterbury to get us out and hopefully adjusted to the time of day. Then bed at 11:00 p.m. England time which usually works out when you have had such a mixed up day. Then day two get up at England time and just go with it, it is all you can do

kylet3
08-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Unfortunately the itinerary doesn't allow for sleep when I land lol. I'm going RIGHT from the hotel to Hyde Park and then onto Harrods, Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square and then back to the hotel lol.

KatieC
08-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Every time I've flown to London I arrived late morning, got to the hotel - slept for two hours, went for a walk - ate dinner, wandered again for an hour or so, and went to bed. Woke up the next day totally ready to go. But going east doesn't have as much of an effect as going west. As to sleeping on the plane - it has to be longer than seven hours for me to sleep. Unless I'm without a book.

I guess you should do whatever seems right for you on the day. And have a great time.

PDilemma
08-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Unfortunately the itinerary doesn't allow for sleep when I land lol. I'm going RIGHT from the hotel to Hyde Park and then onto Harrods, Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square and then back to the hotel lol.

Sleep as much as you can on the early part of the flight. Go with your plan to hit the ground running when you get there.

Adjust your meals to the time zone right away--eat dinner at dinner time.

This worked great for us when we flew to London. We left in the evening from Chicago, arrived mid-day London time. We went to Trafalgar, Westminster Abbey and Parliament Square, and Piccadilly Circus the first day and did a lot of walking. We got to bed around 9:30 London time and adjusted to the time quickly.

PRlady
08-08-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm in Tinami's camp. Three times a year to Israel -- seven hour time difference -- and twelve hours to get there. I can only sleep an hour or two on a plane, but I now take the flight that gets in in the morning, get to the hotel by 11 or noon, sleep for three hours -- no more -- and get up and do some work, eat dinner and go to bed normally. Next day I'm fine.

Coming home it's much harder, it takes three or four days to adjust. :yawn:

Impromptu
08-08-2011, 02:53 AM
I flew from Minneapolis direct to London earlier this year - left at 10 p.m., arrived around 1:30. I can't sleep on airplanes, and that flight is always brutal for me. I do try to take a quick cat-nap (about an hour) when I get in, then do a light schedule, eat dinner on time, and go to bed at 10. I was fine the next day.

Weirdly, it was coming back this time that did me in. Left London at noon, got home at 8, went to bed at 11, and just felt off with a messed up sleep schedule for a week (went to bed on time, but could only stay asleep for 4 hours).

woodstock
08-08-2011, 03:23 AM
I've flown to and from Japan several times (13 hours difference, including crossing date line). Nothing messes you up more than landing in Tokyo after a trans-pacific flight about an hour before you technically departed San Francisco. :) Just plan it out. If my flight was arriving in the early morning, I would try to Nyquil-force sleep on the plane and do my best to stay awake until it was a reasonable bedtime for the current time zone. If my flight was to arrive in the evening I would do the opposite (and drive the flight attendants nuts with the frequency of my traveling the aisles in attempts to stay awake through the flight). Good luck and have a fun trip!

ballettmaus
08-08-2011, 05:17 AM
I'm vacationing in the US once a year (I'm from Germany), so on the way back, I eat before boarding the plane, then try to catch some sleep on the plane (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't). I then try to stay up as long as possible once at home, then head to bed. Definitely set an alarm the next morning though I would think you'll be doing that anyway. The second night often is trickier than the first; I often am not tired when I should go to to bed. Make sure that you do though. Basically, take on a normal rhythm for the time zone you're in.

They're saying your body adjusts to one hour a day.

Cheylana
08-08-2011, 05:23 AM
STAY UP, even if it kills you. It's better to have one day of disorientation, crankiness, and blahs than to only adjust the day you leave.
^^ This.

Christina
08-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Stay up once you get to London. You're getting there in the afternoon, so adrenaline and your itinerary should get you through it. Don't plan on staying up until midnight or something, 'cause that would be nuts. Walk around and see the sights. You'll be close enough to Trafalgar Square to walk there, so do it!

Once you get on the plane, set your watch for London time, and don't change it until you get back on the plane to go home. When it is 9am or so by your now-changed watch, wake up and stay up. I always find it helps to take a short nap in the mid-afternoon of the day I'm leaving, which makes it easier to go with less sleep that "night."