PDA

View Full Version : Will Kwan be named to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame this year?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

query5
09-01-2011, 05:43 PM
nothing related regarding racism -discrimnation

but why did gmnast /peter vidmar have to step down from being something important and the usoc have to rename someone.

i believe it was a comment/ something to do with Gays.

dawnie
09-01-2011, 05:56 PM
You are taking a Hall of Fame induction and a Reader's Choice trophy WAY too seriously.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm not denying that racism exists in the U.S. I also understand the concept of institutional racism and coded language. If you read any of my past posts on this board, you can find my opinions of issues related to discrimination.

However, you don't provide any concrete evidence to support any of your claims. You take examples that don't necessarily show what you say, but twist it around in order to give meat to your arguments. Like, the MSNBC headline that stated "American Beats Kwan" which they received flack for and apologized for. However, that has nothing to do with the USFS. Another thing, you said that Cinquanta said he wanted Kwan to retire after Nagano, but I have found no examples of that on google. Plus, even if it was true, it has nothing to do with the way the USFS felt about Kwan after Nagano.

You keep mentioning "code words" and subtle language, but if you're going to make those claims, you should back them up with actual examples otherwise, don't be surprised if people find your claims to be ridiculous. And if you do, I want to see something from the USFS that uses the language you keep mentioning.

Also, again, using Michelle Kwan to show off racism by the USFS is quite a difficult feat considering all the promotion Kwan has had by them and accolades they have given her.

jamesy
09-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Plus, even if it was true, it has nothing to do with the way the USFS felt about Kwan after Nagano.
"We want you gone, Michelle, but here are a few more national titles."

VIETgrlTerifa
09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
"We want you gone, Michelle, but here are a few more national titles."

Yes, here are some 6.0s on the way! Oh yeah, and let us name you on the 2006 Olympic team despite having a whole season of not competing because we want to get rid of you. (BTW, I agreed with their decision).

Cheylana
09-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Y'all are casting your pearls before swine! :lol:

IceJunkie
09-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Michelle Kwan was one of the best things that ever happened to U.S. Figure Skating, and they sure as hell knew it.

Visaliakid
09-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Why even bother to acknowledge such nonsense. Just another unhappy button pusher getting their kicks playing the bigotry and race cards. :kickass: Screw em!

5Ali3
09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I've previous made my thoughts clear on referring to U.S. Figure Skating as a discrete entity. That being said:

U.S. Figure Skating worships the ground Michelle Kwans walks on.

The association will never deliberately slight her. However, she has not maintained much of an ongoing relationship with the association; much more than Sarah or Tara, Michelle has moved on to a new phase of her life. Some skaters crave recognition from U.S. Figure Skating because it brings their past accomplishments - which form the core of their identity - back into the spotlight. Michelle does not seem to crave recognition of past accomplishments; she runs from spotlights.

kwanette
09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I've previous made my thoughts clear on referring to U.S. Figure Skating as a discrete entity. That being said:

U.S. Figure Skating worships the ground Michelle Kwans walks on.

The association will never deliberately slight her. However, she has not maintained much of an ongoing relationship with the association; much more than Sarah or Tara, Michelle has moved on to a new phase of her life. Some skaters crave recognition from U.S. Figure Skating because it brings their past accomplishments - which form the core of their identity - back into the spotlight. Michelle does not seem to crave recognition of past accomplishments; she runs from spotlights.

Self-praise is no recommendation.

Cheylana
09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Isn't it possible that Michelle still has some endorsement contracts that require her to maintain her eligible status, even if she has no intention of returning to competitive skating? That would preclude her induction into the HOF at this time.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I thought it was stated that a skater's status does not matter. What matters is the amount of time has passed since one's last eligible competition and when they get inducted into the HoF.

Cheylana
09-02-2011, 07:14 PM
But it gives an impression to the general public that one has retired. Michelle's sponsors may not want her inducted into the HOF just yet. 1000% speculation on my part.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-02-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure why it matters. It's not as if Kwan has been active in the skating scene in 5 years. Doing a few shows for Yu Na does not give anyone the impression that she's training for Sochi.

5Ali3
09-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Self-praise is no recommendation.

You posted this in response to my last post; I don't understand what you mean. I certainly wasn't praising myself; to me, it's pretty clear that I wasn't even talking about myself.