PDA

View Full Version : Will Kwan be named to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame this year?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

skatingfan5
08-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Because last season they only selected those who died in the '61 crash, I think that they Kwan was overlooked. I think it makes sense for her to be inducted in San Jose. I think that Rudy Galindo should have a strong shot, too. Todd Eldredge? Michael Weiss? Ina/Zimmerman?Todd Eldredge is already there -- inducted in 2008. I think San Jose Nationals would be especially meaningful for Rudy if he were selected -- but also for Michelle. If they accept nominations from the general public, then those who want to do so, should send them in. Of course, I have no idea when they vote or when the deadline for submitting nominations is. Their site is confusing for me to find information. :shuffle:

bardtoob
08-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Rudy would have a great shot, having been a both Pairs and Singles National Champion.

I think Kwan is planning on retiring after Sochi ;)

Jaana
08-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Rudy would have a great shot, having been a both Pairs and Singles National Champion.

Is being a national champion (plus a World bronze medalist) enough merit for being selected to HoF??? In my opinion already Eldredge was a rather strange selection.

emason
08-11-2011, 01:31 PM
In my opinion already Eldredge was a rather strange selection.

He was US Novice, Junior and Senior Champion plus World Junior and Senior Champion, plus Skate America Champion, etc., etc. Not so strange to be selected I think.

barbk
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
He was US Novice, Junior and Senior Champion plus World Junior and Senior Champion, plus Skate America Champion, etc., etc. Not so strange to be selected I think.

Not even close to strange. For the US Hall of Fame, he's a six time national senior champion -- I'm not sure if any other guy has gotten close to that since the end of figures, and he competed successfully both before and after figures were eliminated, which not all that many folks managed to do. His spins were among the best of his era, and he continued to put great intensity into them even when it seemed that judges didn't much care about form or speed of spins. He first competed as a senior in 87-88 (Brian Boitano's era) and was US Champion and still competing at high levels in 2002, which is a tremendous career by anyone's standards.

paskatefan
08-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Todd Eldredge is already there -- inducted in 2008. I think San Jose Nationals would be especially meaningful for Rudy if he were selected -- but also for Michelle. If they accept nominations from the general public, then those who want to do so, should send them in. Of course, I have no idea when they vote or when the deadline for submitting nominations is. Their site is confusing for me to find information. :shuffle:

Thanks! I don't think it's a strange choice, either!

Cheylana
08-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Inducting Eldredge (a six-time National champion) makes at least as much sense as inducting someone who is a zero-time National Champion but got lucky at the Olympics one night. :slinkaway

Jaana
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM

But no medal at all from the Olympics, although he had a gold and other medals from Worlds.

skatingfan5
08-11-2011, 05:39 PM
But no medal at all from the Olympics, although he had a gold and other medals from Worlds.:confused: Why should that make Todd's selection to the United States Skating HoF questionable? As others have posted, he won senior U.S. nationals six times (and was on the World podium several times, including the top step once). I guess if there were a Canadian Skating HoF (I don't know, perhaps there is), then by your criteria Kurt Browning would be deemed a dubious choice as well, since he, too, has not a single Olympic medal. :rolleyes:

barbk
08-11-2011, 05:42 PM
But no medal at all from the Olympics, although he had a gold and other medals from Worlds.

Kurt Browning. Janet Lynn. Toller Cranston. I think they're all in the Hall of Fame, despite none of them having an Olympic medal. There really are other competitions that count. :rolleyes:

skatingfan5
08-11-2011, 05:49 PM
BTW, I managed to find last year's World Skating Hall of Fame nominating packet (http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/PDF/World_Nominating_Packet_Final.pdf) -- the deadline for submitting nominations was December 17, 2010 for the 2011 inductees. I would imagine that the deadline for 2012 would be similar -- i.e. sometime in December.

Here is the criteria listed:

Nominees may be emeritus, deceased or actively working but may not have competed in the last five years. [empahsis mine]
For pair or dance teams; both partners must be nominated.
A: Outstanding Competitors – National, World or Olympic achievements
Special contributions in style and technique
Retired from eligible skating for at least five years

skatingfan5
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Kurt Browning. Janet Lynn. Toller Cranston. I think they're all in the Hall of Fame, despite none of them having an Olympic medal. There really are other competitions that count. :rolleyes:Janet and Toller each have an Olympic bronze medal. But, yes, there are other competitions that have some weight besides the Olympics.

paskatefan
08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
:confused: Why should that make Todd's selection to the United States Skating HoF questionable? As others have posted, he won senior U.S. nationals six times (and was on the World podium several times, including the top step once). I guess if there were a Canadian Skating HoF (I don't know, perhaps there is), then by your criteria Kurt Browning would be deemed a dubious choice as well, since he, too, has not a single Olympic medal. :rolleyes:

Kurt Browning. Janet Lynn. Toller Cranston. I think they're all in the Hall of Fame, despite none of them having an Olympic medal. There really are other competitions that count. :rolleyes:

:respec:

bardtoob
08-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Is being a national champion (plus a World bronze medalist) enough merit for being selected to HoF??? In my opinion already Eldredge was a rather strange selection.

Being a National Champion in two disciplines is exceptionally difficult.

... {{holding my tongue on Todd Eldredge}}

query5
08-13-2011, 03:39 PM
i know sarah is listed as retired on wikiepedia on 2003,
as far as i know. i didn't read where she announced it. they rightly so assumed she was retired after winning ogm, going to school, but how can they announced her retirement in 2003 when she
1) competed at u.s nationals coming in 2nd

2) competed at worlds coming in 6th

she just walked away , not saying anything to press, fans.
usually i keep up with that.-in other words, i keep an eye, read out in newspapers, internet etc. i didn't see anything at that time.

for me this a way (nitpicking) to keep michelle out. since she didn't (officially say the word (retirment) she isn't eligibile.--even though she hasn't competed in over 6 years. didn't compete after 2006.

that is one reason why i think she won't be listed, plus some other reasons that i won't say.