PDA

View Full Version : What is Asian Skating Union? and What is its connection to ISU?

l'etoile
08-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I googled it and it gave me more questions. In ISU official site, there's no mention of ASU nor even as members of ISU.

This organization's headquarter is in Seoul, South Korea and the president is also a Korean who was former vice-president of Korean Skating Union according to search results. There seems to be no official site for them.

They recently have been cited as the host for World Dream Skaters on Ice Korea and its cause was "to celebrate Korea's hosting winter olympics" which is kinda odd there was no obvious collaboration with KSU. Most of skaters on the show was Russian, only two korean skaters were cast at the last minute.

Does anyone have any ideas or clues to what this organization is?

Is it at least ISU-sanctioned organization?

overedge
08-08-2011, 01:52 AM
I googled it and it gave me more questions. In ISU official site, there's no mention of ASU nor even as members of ISU.

This organization's headquarter is in Seoul, South Korea and the president is also a Korean who was former vice-president of Korean Skating Union according to search results. There seems to be no official site for them.

They recently have been cited as the host for World Dream Skaters on Ice Korea and its cause was "to celebrate Korea's hosting winter olympics" which is kinda odd there was no obvious collaboration with KSU. Most of skaters on the show was Russian, only two korean skaters were cast at the last minute.

Does anyone have any ideas or clues to what this organization is?

Is it at least ISU-sanctioned organization?

I've never heard of it either, but Wikipedia claims it is the Asian "governing body" for competitive skating:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Skating_Union

But I don't see how it can be the "governing body" because the ISU governs competitive skating. And I don't think the ISU sanctions any regional organizations, just individual member countries.

It is also listed as a member of the Olympic Council of Asia:

http://www.ocasia.org/Sports/SportsFed.aspx?SFCode=65&SFType=1

which says it is one of the five continental organizations recognized by the International Olympic Committee:

http://www.ocasia.org/Council/Index.aspx

And the Asian Skating Union seems to have sanctioned a competition in Hong Kong this month, along with the ISU:

http://www.hksu.org/contents/at11.html

It all seems very strange. My only guess is that maybe the ASU sanctions Olympic-related competitions while the ISU sanctions all the other kinds of skating competitions....but as the ISU represents skating on the IOC, I am not sure why another organization would need to give its sanction as well.

FigureSpins
08-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Perhaps this organization is guiding the individual countries' federations in reaching the higher levels of international skating and becoming ISU members?

barbk
08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
ISI sanctions competitions in the US -- doesn't the USFSA recognize their sanctions?

overedge
08-08-2011, 06:20 PM
ISI sanctions competitions in the US -- doesn't the USFSA recognize their sanctions?

I think they have a mutual agreement that skaters who compete in ISI events won't be banned by the USFS for doing so, and vice versa. But they don't sanction each other's events as far as I know.

FigureSpins
08-08-2011, 07:40 PM
There is a reciprocal agreement between the ISI and the USFSA about sanctions for skaters. This is different because it's across countries, not within the same country. Are the European Championships are organized by the ISU or another entity?

The ISI has a presence in Asia and the Middle East, but countries pursuing ISU membership have been establishing their own programs that follow the ISU requirements.

overedge
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Are the European Championships are organized by the ISU or another entity?

By the ISU.

l'etoile
08-08-2011, 07:53 PM
thanks overedge for getting facts straight. Still the question remains.. What is Asian Skating Union?????

puzzler.

MacMadame
08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
IMy only guess is that maybe the ASU sanctions Olympic-related competitions while the ISU sanctions all the other kinds of skating competitions....

There aren't any "Olympic-related competitions" that involve figure skating except the Olympics. (There used to be figure skating in the Olympic Festival.) The ISU is the officially recognized governing body for figure skating in the Olympics (as you noted).

I have several guesses as to what the ASU is but none of them fully satisfy me. :lol: They certainly seem to be official. But anyone can post anything on the internet so who knows.

Something to keep in mind... ISU works with NGB. The N in NGB stands for National. But they don't necessarily have to be a country. There's no reason the ISU couldn't accept a NGB whose members reside in multiple countries if it made sense to do so.

overedge
08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
There aren't any "Olympic-related competitions" that involve figure skating except the Olympics. (There used to be figure skating in the Olympic Festival.) The ISU is the officially recognized governing body for figure skating in the Olympics (as you noted).

I meant "Olympic-related competitions" as in competitions that might be qualifiers for the Olympics.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-09-2011, 12:03 AM
I meant "Olympic-related competitions" as in competitions that might be qualifiers for the Olympics.

But wouldn't the ISU also be the body that would govern those qualifiers?

overedge
08-09-2011, 12:20 AM
But wouldn't the ISU also be the body that would govern those qualifiers?

Yes - I wasn't saying that the IOC alone would govern them.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Yes - I wasn't saying that the IOC alone would govern them.

I think I was confused because you mentioned the ASU.

My only guess is that maybe the ASU sanctions Olympic-related competitions

My comment was in-response to that statement.

Aussie Willy
08-09-2011, 03:23 AM
They are probably a group that Asian countries can affiliate to. So any country who wishes to be part of it would pay a membership fee to belong and have representation on it. They could also organise their own events and activities under that banner which their member countries could partcipate in.

So probably doesn't shed might like on the actual organisation but it could give an idea of how it works.

MacMadame
08-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Those are run by the NGBs who are members of the ISU.