PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

lexeoe
08-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Any idea when it will be announced? I do remember SJ 2012 was announced November 2009. Greensboro 2011 was announced 10 months earlier. Aside from Boston who has made their interest known anyone has an idea who are bidding?

Slightly OT Omaha 2013 still doesn't have a website. I remember Greensboro and SJ having their website up after they were announced as host.

lamarenee
08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I believe there will more information re: 2013 nationals in Omaha after a USFS site visit this month (or early next month?)

lexeoe
10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
any updates re: 2014 nationals host?

UMBS Go Blue
10-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Also wondering about 2012 Skate America as the bid package on the USFS website had projected an announcement date of... last week.

peibeck
10-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Also wondering about 2012 Skate America as the bid package on the USFS website had projected an announcement date of... last week.

I don't think we've known where SKAM is going to be for the last several years until after this year's SKAM was over.

In fact, I am not even sure if the info was available by Nationals. I don't remember any info about SKAM or Ontario last year while we were in Greensboro. I do remember you could reserve tickets for Nationals in San Jose though.

UMBS Go Blue
10-11-2011, 09:14 PM
EYS, the location for the upcoming 2011 Skate America wasn't announced until March 2011.

On a related note, for all those interested in how event bidding and selection works, here's the USFS page for bid packages (including the PDF for 2012 Skate America):
http://www.usfsa.org/Events.asp?id=324

lamarenee
10-11-2011, 11:50 PM
From a Skating Club of Boston 06/09/11 press release:

The Club is currently planning bids for additional national and international events with the TD Garden, including the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

http://www.scboston.org/press-releases/the-skating-club-of-boston-to-develop-new-world-class-skating-facility-in-allston-brighton

johndockley92
10-12-2011, 12:32 AM
The Garden WOULD be fun O:

flutzilla1
10-12-2011, 03:31 PM
From a Skating Club of Boston 06/09/11 press release:

The Club is currently planning bids for additional national and international events with the TD Garden, including the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

http://www.scboston.org/press-releases/the-skating-club-of-boston-to-develop-new-world-class-skating-facility-in-allston-brighton

This would be great to have Nationals back in the NE US for the first time sine 2001!

peibeck
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
"International events" must mean an upcoming Skate America, as we aren't likely to have a Worlds in North America for several seasons (since Canada is hosting Worlds next year), maybe 2015 or 2016?

It's hard to see USFS switching gears and suddenly moving Nationals back to a large market, but perhaps they will consider it since there should be higher interest in the 2014 event due to the Olympic team selection?

sk9tingfan
10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
This would be great to have Nationals back in the NE US for the first time sine 2001!

Keeping all 20 fingers and toes crossed; possibly a few other unmentionables :P

Jenna
10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Boston is one of my favorite cities in the US.

I will rejoice if is held there. :swoon:

Carolla5501
10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
"International events" must mean an upcoming Skate America, as we aren't likely to have a Worlds in North America for several seasons (since Canada is hosting Worlds next year), maybe 2015 or 2016?

It's hard to see USFS switching gears and suddenly moving Nationals back to a large market, but perhaps they will consider it since there should be higher interest in the 2014 event due to the Olympic team selection?

I think it's not USFSA it's the markets. I think the "switch" to smaller markets was driven by the fact that the large markets refused to meet the demands..... USFSA would probably LOVE to be back in a large market. Just not sure the "demand" is there for the tickets. :eek:

Skate Amerrica is in Southern California which I consider a "large" market. Finally bought a ticket today... on row F or something.. .doesn't sound like it's selling like gangbusters.

Nationals this year are in San Jose and while it's not a big city, the geographic area you draw from is VERY densly populated... "large market" We will see how it does.

I loved Nationals at Boston and would GLADLY return!

Debbie S
10-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I think it's not USFSA it's the markets. I think the "switch" to smaller markets was driven by the fact that the large markets refused to meet the demands..... USFSA would probably LOVE to be back in a large market. Just not sure the "demand" is there for the tickets. :eek:Demand is why USFSA started going to smaller markets - they would rather be in a smaller arena they could sell out (or close), plus rental cost is cheaper. While SoCal is a big metro area, the arena for SA is smaller than the major arenas (i.e. Staples Center) and Ontario is quite a bit east of downtown L.A., which means cheaper hotel rates.

It will be interesting to see how Nats ticket sales go. San Jose is a larger market than recent Nats locations, and the ticket and hotel prices reflect that. Maybe if Nats does well this year, USFSA will be more open to large markets in the future.

I was at Nats in 2001 and thought Boston was a perfect place for the event, but skating fandom and economics were different then.

SpeedySucks
10-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Since the U.S. hasn't gone more than 6 years without hosting Worlds in about 70 years, it would seem that 2015 is the USA's next "turn" if they want it.