PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Fridge_Break
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I'd consider a trip to Denver if Nationals somehow magically landed there :saint: Not likely that Detroit would get it if they bid ever because they don't have the arenas in close proximity -- the Palace is way off in the boonies and the Joe Louis is a dump.. unless they stuck the younger kids over the river into Windsor (O Canada!), which we know would obviously never happen, it probably wouldn't work too well. But if they ever do happen to get a Nationals, they'd be able to fill up a huge chunk of the arena with skater's friends and family since like 83% of all skaters ever live and train in southeastern Michigan these days.

CoralReef
02-02-2012, 10:12 PM
The schedule may still be spread over 2 weeks sometime at the beginning of January so as to make it NBC-friendly.

It will be interesting to see whether Boston or Denver can schedule a successful event over 2 weeks given that the main arenas in those cities host 2, not just 1, major league teams.According to the bid package, it would be Thursday-Thursday and only the seniors skating in the primary venue the first weekend (interesting that there is no mention of juvenile & intermediate events). I think that makes it easier for the area's with major league teams to get a commitment from the rink. Load in on 12/31 and out on 1/6 for a total of 6-7 days.

peibeck
02-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I wish we (the skating fans) could vote, and that it would actually have some kind of influence! If only lol.

I actually spoke with the USFS president last week at Nationals and told her (and, no, I am not a resident) that I thought San Jose would be a great place to host Worlds when the US bids next. It never hurts to plug for a city, and she actually seemed not too disinterested in my opinion (considering I am just a skating fan and very poor skater.) :lol:

nubka
02-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Well....as I was sitting in the San Jose airport( waiting for my flight that had been delayed 3 hours) a prominent coach told me that Boston got 2014 Nationals. I don't know where she got her information but it sounds good to me.:D

I'll bet you were on my sister's flight to Dallas...

jkl
02-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Right.....the 12:20 flight that actually left after 3:00!:lol:

FSfan107
02-03-2012, 03:39 AM
I wasn't able to attend Nationals last yearin my home state of North Carolina due to an internship I was completing out of state, so I would love it if Nationals were able to be in Greensboro again. I've been to Boston before (love it) and would consider planning a trip there if they got Nationals (that is if I have enough money for it in 2014).

Coco
02-03-2012, 04:24 AM
Well....as I was sitting in the San Jose airport( waiting for my flight that had been delayed 3 hours) a prominent coach told me that Boston got 2014 Nationals. I don't know where she got her information but it sounds good to me.:D

Telling people it's a done deal prior to the bid deadline is strategy - maybe it will depress the other efforts? Who knows...

It's all part of SCOB's :sekret: plan to give Siraj, Donlan and Speroff a push on to the team :)

I don't think that club has ever lost a bid to host anything, but maybe I'm wrong.

kwanette
02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Ask her if she knows the powerball numbers, because the deadline for the cities to submit the bid packages isn't until tomorrow.

Kind of like job postings..They have to do it even if they know ahead of time who is getting the job..

Stormy
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Telling people it's a done deal prior to the bid deadline is strategy - maybe it will depress the other efforts? Who knows...

It's all part of SCOB's :sekret: plan to give Siraj, Donlan and Speroff a push on to the team :)

I don't think that club has ever lost a bid to host anything, but maybe I'm wrong.

They have, they lost out a couple years ago to Spokane, IIRC.

Boston doesn't necessarily need to use the TD Garden either, they can have the events at the Agganis Arena at BU if USFS is concerned they won't fill the Garden. Heck, they could even do what they're doing for Synchro nationals next month an have it in the DCU Center in Worcester. And there's plenty of practice arenas. They did such a fabulous job of 2001 Nationals and I'd LOVE it if they really do have 2014 for sure.

Carolla5501
02-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Would love to go to Boston, but the schedule probably means I won't go anywhere :(

Rob
02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Heck, they could even do what they're doing for Synchro nationals next month an have it in the DCU Center in Worcester.
I was wondering if SCOB might do that -- Worcester would have the less expensive hotels as well, wouldn't it? I thought there was a Worcester-based bid on a Skate America recently too.

sammary
02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes, the hotels in Worcester are cheaper than Boston. Also, there are plenty of restaurants and about 5 or 6 hotels in Worcester.

ryanbfan
02-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Right.....the 12:20 flight that actually left after 3:00!:lol:

LOL I was on that flight too. Someone told me it was actually supposed to be delayed until 6, we got lucky.

------------

I echo Denver. Guess they would have it at the Pepsi Center? Used to live right across the street from it.

missing
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Was 2001 the last Northeast Corridor Nationals? I know the only Nationals I've been to since then was in LA.

Boston (and the greater New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania/New England area) is way overdue.

peibeck
02-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Boston (and the greater New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania/New England area) is way overdue.

Yes, but Pennsylvania/New York/New Jersey/New England have hosted 6 of the last 10 Skate Americas: Reading, PA (twice), Pittsburgh, Atlantic City, Hartford and Lake Placid.

Perhaps prohibitive venue costs have been the main factor for that area not being picked? Renting arenas for the main competition and practice ice for a week is, I am sure, a pretty decisive factor.